Help with my pioneer receiver, any advice much appreciated - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-04-2012, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a sharp lcd tv from a few years back its an lc52d65u I have never had any problems with it of any kind.

I recently bought a pioneer vsx-821 k receiver with the idea of moving all of my components into an AV closet and hooking them up to the receiver, then running one hdmi from the receiver out to the tv.

all components are hooked up with high quality hdmi cables and all work fine through the receiver and directly through the tv.

here is my problem: the tv constantly displays a little message in the corner that says input 8 HDMI and underneath it says 1080i while watching tv. this would be totally normal of course if I had just switched inputs or turned on the tv, but it happens constantly while watching tv. it seems to show the message in no particular pattern sometimes it stays off for minutes, sometimes seconds, and when I remove the hdmi cord between the receiver and tv, then replace it, the message seems to stay off for hours before it resumes its infuriating pattern. I have noticed that when I try to change the input on the tv using its remote control sometimes the tv kicks me out of the menu and shows the input 8 message as if I had selected it, even though I was trying to select a different input.

in any attempt to trouble shoot this issue I have done the following
updated the firmware on the sharp tv to the latest version, it was completed successfully.
turned off aquos link (sharp CEC) on the tv
and I have turned off the hdmi control functions on the receiver thinking that they may be having some sort of weird handshake issue.
after that didn't work I got the receiver replaced with the exact same model and I'm currently having the same issue with it now.

I'm out of ideas, I've called sharp and they were less than helpful. I haven't had a chance to call pioneer yet but its on my to do list. I have swapped all hdmi cables multiple times, I have powered up the devices in different orders. No clue where to go from here, any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-05-2012, 03:19 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2270 Post(s)
Liked: 1828
This message is being generated by the TV to indicate the AVR is apparently plugged into the 8th input on the TV which is an HDMI input. Have you tried using each of the other HDMI inputs on the TV to see if they cause the same message to be generated? If you plug an HDMI source directly into the TV does the same message appear?

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page