Best Receiver for music listening and HT surround - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-05-2012, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I've sadly purchased a house after holding the wife off as long as I could. I will be moving my old avr to my master and revamping the family room's system. I was initially going to dedicate a room in the house to only 2 channel music listening but felt I could achieve a better compromise by investing into the HT. I was initially going to buy a peachtree nova for the listening room and the Sierra 1 nrt's.

I'm coming from an onkyo txsr 607 and the little Polk audio rm 6750's. My new speakers are going to be ascend Sierra towers vs Sierra 1 nrt's and Sierra tower center with surrounds yet to be determined. Music listening is VERY important. I have apple tv already but zone 2 functionality is a must for the outdoor living space. I would prefer to be able to use apple tv in zone 2 as well. I will be using the receiver for blue ray, ps3 gaming, apple tv, and the usual tv viewing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My budget is preferably $1500 or less otd/delivered. Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-06-2012, 03:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Onkyo 3009 all the way.

butter and jelly please.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-06-2012, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Hello Mark, I hope all is going well with the new house? wink.gif I'm an Onkyo fan as well as I have had my 808 for two years now and love it. Some have had problems with thiers but none here ( knock on wood smile.gif ).

Since you have/ or will be invested in Sierra towers I would look into this.... www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=AVR 3650. I have had no experiance with HK but a few friends highly reccomend HK esp. for music, just saying is all rolleyes.gif.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-07-2012, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skally View Post

Hello Mark, I hope all is going well with the new house? wink.gif I'm an Onkyo fan as well as I have had my 808 for two years now and love it. Some have had problems with thiers but none here ( knock on wood smile.gif ).
Since you have/ or will be invested in Sierra towers I would look into this.... www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=AVR 3650. I have had no experiance with HK but a few friends highly reccomend HK esp. for music, just saying is all rolleyes.gif.

I've never given HK receivers any thought. I'll have to give them some consideration. I was figuring onkyo/denon/marantz/pioneer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post

Onkyo 3009 all the way.
butter and jelly please.

Is the Onkyo 3009 much better in terms of sound and options than the Onkyo 818 which seems to get a fair amount of love?

I also need zone 2 to be able to stream my apple tv which I heard from another member will not output to zone 2?

Thanks for all your help.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Don't waste your time with HK,its garbage! The Onkyo 3009 or Denon 4311 end of story! Plus on both of those you get Audyssey XT32 with Subeq HT. I have an Onkyo 805 now ,never had an issue for 7 yrs. My next receiver soon will be one of those 2..
post #6 of 10 Old 08-07-2012, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post

Don't waste your time with HK,its garbage! The Onkyo 3009 or Denon 4311 end of story! Plus on both of those you get Audyssey XT32 with Subeq HT. I have an Onkyo 805 now ,never had an issue for 7 yrs. My next receiver soon will be one of those 2..

You're the best! I will take that under advisement and perform my due diligence on both. I appreciate the recommendations very much.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-16-2012, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You probably already made your decision, but if by some slim chance you haven't you need to know there is no best receiver, there are however worst. The Onkyo and the Denon are good but I think Marantz SR7007 offers more bang for almost the same amount of money. The Marantz offers the Audyssey XT32 with multeq XT. Subeq is for someone using multiple subs which very few people do, if you only have one sub then SubEQ is never activated. MultEQ XT measures the room acoustics to correct problems with the room. Marantz does not use the SubEQ. Marantz is more of a musical amp, it characterizes the human voice more naturally, it presents an accurate soundstage, it makes vinyl records sound wonderful; and video sound is explosive with dead silence where there needs to be. This is the quietest amp on the market for electronic noise, it also offers Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume low-volume listening and volume-leveling modes. The amp is rated at 125 watts per channel into two but it's a truer watts rating then other use because it uses current feedback technology (which is why it is so quiet) while all other amps use voltage feedback to control distortion and that method demands watts thus if a company claims 125 watts but uses voltage feedback your end watts is closer to about 25% less to drive the speakers with and in using voltage feedback you have more electronic floor noise.

Just another option for you to get crazy about...or is there another option, a lower costing option that people have ignored? What about the Cambridge Audio Azur 551R? It misses the fancy Audyssey stuff , it appeals more to the person who might get befuddled over all the doodads and computer whiz found on other receivers making it less complicated to operate. It has a natural sound to it making it surprisingly musical with a fantastic soundstage with a 3 dimensional illusion to it, movie dialog is clear but not as natural as the Marantz is but still very good.

More to think about.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-17-2012, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Most of us know by now Marantz is basically Denon at higher price, hardly more bang, and Audyssey is either MultEQ XT or XT32, not XT32 with XT. The Marantz is MultEQ XT. Don't know about "the quietest amp on the market for electronic noise" but claims like this seems a bit exaggerated when S/N stated at 100dB doesn't look anything out of the ordinary.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #9 of 10 Old 10-17-2012, 05:18 AM

To chime in as well - I've had issues with two separate Denon receivers previously. Are the Marantz, quality-wise about the same would you say?
post #10 of 10 Old 06-16-2013, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

So I ended up waiting it out and bought the pioneer sc 1522 k at costco for a steal. Been happy since although the zone 2 not supporting digital out seems ridiculous. Thanks for all your help.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page