Confused and need a little help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 08-06-2012, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did a lot of searching but really haven't been able to find enough info to make an informed decision. Maybe I'm searching wrong so I hope I'm not asking simple questions here.

I upgraded TV's and the sound can only be described as "tolerable" at this point. It's okay in a quiet room but lacks punch and when my grandson begins making any noise at all, it's really of no use to try to hear the TV. I need to put in a system of some sort but my wife's design requirements will limit me to a 2.1 system. It will also need to be as user friendly as possible or it will become a pain point for everyone who uses the TV. I would like to stay in the 500-700 range for the receiver and speakers. This number could float a little and I'd be comfortable with that.

2.1 systems seem pretty limiting. Is it pretty easy to buy a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver and just tell it there are only 2 speakers and a sub? Is this a waste of money, I will likely never add any speakers.

Any suggested receivers?

Is it possible to hook it up so the TV remote controls the volume (user friendly) without going the logitech route?

Any suggested speakers/subs?

Sorry if these seem like basic questions. I purchased a HTiB many years ago and it was a pain point for everyone in the family except me. I'd like to keep it simple but also hear the TV in an environment that is sometimes less than optimal.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page