Monster HTS 5100 MKII power center or 7000 MKII - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-06-2012, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was about to purchase one of these to replace my 6 year old Panamax and was wondering if they are being discontinued by Monster. Monster.com is out of stock and so are most retailers.

On another note will the rating of 1800 watts(15 amps) be enough to run a PB13 ultra sub, Denon 4311ci(5 channel Klipsch floor speakers) receiver, HDTV, Bluray player and cable box? Or should I get 2 power centers?

Thank you in advance for any input you may have to help me decide.

If not in correct section, please advise of correct topic section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I have one of these in my rack and the other night while watching our first movie I remembered to look back at it to see the amp draw.

I had these things hooked up and running:

Pioneer Elite 49txi AVR (driving all 7 channels at 4 OHMS even though its only rated for 160w @ 6ohms!) smile.gif
DVDO iscan Duo
Panasonic BT500 BluRay
JVC RS45 projector

and it was only registering 3.8 amps of draw.

I have an Emotiva XPS-5 power amp to add in (if Emotiva EVER gets rack ears in stock) but I would suspect the reduced amp draw from the Pioneer would make this almost a wash or maybe 1 amp more. My SVS PC13Ultra is on a separate circuit so I don't know what it would have added.

I think you'll be fine. Code is 80% of capacity, so if it is a 15amp circuit....that means you can safely pull 12 amps. I am a LOT of distance away from that.

Just an FYI
post #3 of 12 Old 08-06-2012, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoSport View Post

I have one of these in my rack and the other night while watching our first movie I remembered to look back at it to see the amp draw.
I had these things hooked up and running:
Pioneer Elite 49txi AVR (driving all 7 channels at 4 OHMS even though its only rated for 160w @ 6ohms!) smile.gif
DVDO iscan Duo
Panasonic BT500 BluRay
JVC RS45 projector
and it was only registering 3.8 amps of draw.
I have an Emotiva XPS-5 power amp to add in (if Emotiva EVER gets rack ears in stock) but I would suspect the reduced amp draw from the Pioneer would make this almost a wash or maybe 1 amp more. My SVS PC13Ultra is on a separate circuit so I don't know what it would have added.
I think you'll be fine. Code is 80% of capacity, so if it is a 15amp circuit....that means you can safely pull 12 amps. I am a LOT of distance away from that.
Just an FYI

Thanks for the info! The SVS PB-13 ultra uses 1,000 watts RMS with a 3600 watt max. The Monster HTS 5100 is rated for 15 amps(1800 watt max). Is my sub too much power for one HTS 5100 MKII power center.
post #4 of 12 Old 08-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Your confusing sound RMS wattage and A/C power draw wattage / amperage. Two separate beasts.

The new PB13Ultra has that 1000w amp but to its benefit its a Class D amp so its very efficient. I would be VERY surprised if that sub would draw more than 2-3 amps MAX. Of course I am just guessing but that's what my gut says. The only way you will know for sure is to hook up the sub to a 5100MKII and see what it registers for amp draw. (unless you have a voltmeter with an amp coil on it, then you could check it right now.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Your confusing sound RMS wattage and A/C power draw wattage / amperage. Two separate beasts.
The new PB13Ultra has that 1000w amp but to its benefit its a Class D amp so its very efficient. I would be VERY surprised if that sub would draw more than 2-3 amps MAX. Of course I am just guessing but that's what my gut says. The only way you will know for sure is to hook up the sub to a 5100MKII and see what it registers for amp draw. (unless you have a voltmeter with an amp coil on it, then you could check it right now.

Thanks for replying!

Good to know about the wattage differences, I do not have the sub yet. It is being delivered tommorrow.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

I decided to go with the Monster 7000 MKII. Besides EE, anyone know of a good online retailer to buy these at less than MSRP?

Thanks
post #7 of 12 Old 08-08-2012, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I use the monster 2000 voltage stabilizer with the 7000. I had an emotiva XPA-5 and Parasound A51 hooked up to it with my supporting electronics.
When pushed hard the amps would start to stutter. I would pull your amp's off the monsters and only hook up the electronics to it. They can't provide enough current to keep up with your power needs. I never had a problem with a receiver on them.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #8 of 12 Old 08-08-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

I use the monster 2000 voltage stabilizer with the 7000. I had an emotiva XPA-5 and Parasound A51 hooked up to it with my supporting electronics.
When pushed hard the amps would start to stutter. I would pull your amp's off the monsters and only hook up the electronics to it. They can't provide enough current to keep up with your power needs. I never had a problem with a receiver on them.

Which 7000 model are you using? I saw a theatre room that had 2 PB-13 ultras hooked up to a HTPS 7000 MKII and they sounded outstanding. Maybe the Sledge amp is a bit differ.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

For what it's worth and for anyones information, I finally got everything installed and have the following connected to one Monster HTS 5100 MKII and with everything on and running at full volume it measures 4.5 amp draw.

JVC RS45 projector
Motorolla Digital cable box
Global Cache GC12-100
D-Link 4 port switch
DVDO iScan Duo
Panasonic BT500 BluRay
Pioneer Elite 49txi AVR (now powering rear surrounds only)
312 rack mount EQ
Emotiva XPA-5 power amp (5 x 300w per channel at 4 ohms to my M&K speakers)

Roland GP-8 Guitar effects processor (lol, I know, but I had it and want to plug into the sound system for some loud jamming)

SO..... plenty of headroom left and I only have a motorized anamorphic sled and a possible x-box to install later. At the code allowed 80% of circuit, my 20 amp circuit would allow 15 amps off the electrical plug. So..... I am only using 24% of breaker capacity.

This unit works very well and proves that it's fully capable of running a rack full of gear.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I have the 7000MKII

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #11 of 12 Old 09-06-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

For what it's worth and for anyones information, I finally got everything installed and have the following connected to one Monster HTS 5100 MKII and with everything on and running at full volume it measures 4.5 amp draw.
JVC RS45 projector
Motorolla Digital cable box
Global Cache GC12-100
D-Link 4 port switch
DVDO iScan Duo
Panasonic BT500 BluRay
Pioneer Elite 49txi AVR (now powering rear surrounds only)
312 rack mount EQ
Emotiva XPA-5 power amp (5 x 300w per channel at 4 ohms to my M&K speakers)
Roland GP-8 Guitar effects processor (lol, I know, but I had it and want to plug into the sound system for some loud jamming)
SO..... plenty of headroom left and I only have a motorized anamorphic sled and a possible x-box to install later. At the code allowed 80% of circuit, my 20 amp circuit would allow 15 amps off the electrical plug. So..... I am only using 24% of breaker capacity.
This unit works very well and proves that it's fully capable of running a rack full of gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

I have the 7000MKII

I have the 7000 MKII as well and am very pleased so far. My amp draw is between 2.9-3.4 when running all devices:
Samsung UN60ES8000
Denon 4311 with 5.1 setup
SVS PB 13 ultra
Oppo 93
Xbox
Cable box
modem
wireless router
ipod dock

But when I first power on my receiver and sub the amp draw jumps to 7.5 for about 5 seconds. I guess that is the max of everything when powering up. I will be hooking up my Emotiva XPA5 and will post back with the new power consumption it uses. I wanted a 2nd PB13 ultra sub but the monster 7000MKII may not be able to handle it. I may need the pro power 7000 which is a BEAST!!
post #12 of 12 Old 10-12-2012, 08:14 AM

I thought I would share a recent experience with the HTPS 7000. I bought the unit in 2005 along with the AVS 2000. A few weeks ago I heard a low but constant alarm from the HTPS7000. The front panel was lit, but no power was being passed to the components. We have constant momentary power dips (one or two a week) and these usually put the unit into sleep mode. This time something else happened.

There was a blown fuse that I replaced and it did not remedy the problem; it was still sounding the alarm and not passing power. The unit was out of warranty but I called Monster to find a repair facility. I was told that it could not be repaired. The customer service guy said that the unit did what it was supposed to do and died so that the other components could live. That is well and good, but why is it not repairable? VERY expensive surge protector. Another note. The HTPS 7000 was plugged into the AVS 2000 and according to the customer service rep, the AVS “will just pass the surge through”. So much for “Voltage Stabilization”.

Let this be a cautionary tale.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Monster , Denon , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Klipsch , Speaker Systems , Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite 49 Txi Receiver
Gear in this thread