OUTLAW 975 - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #481 of 505 Old 06-06-2014, 03:15 AM
Member
 
TheUglyBad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidan View Post

You can read my review of the outlaw compared to my old Yamaha Z1 and a new rx-a2030 a couple posts above. The outlaw unit produces great sound and is very simple and doesn't have all the bells and whistles most major brand recievers have - 90% of which I don't use anyways. However, it does have a bit older input switching system and I found the front panel a bit difficult to read from a distance.

Yes I read your review! It's pretty amazing as I recall the Z1 was very expensive smile.gif

I don't need all the whistles at all. Right now I only use my Yamaha AVR as an hdmi switch which decodes audio.

This thread made me wonder a lot about getting the 975. If I've lived in the US it would be a no-brainer but I need to import it to Europe and so many costs will stack so high it comes close to an Marantz 7701 and Onkyo (Integra 80.2) when stores here have a sales shoot-out.

So far I've not been able to find any store delivering Outlaw here in Europe frown.gif
TheUglyBad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #482 of 505 Old 06-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Member
 
tidan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yeah, I paid around 3000USD for my Z1 when it came out. Was alot of money for me especially at that time.
Do you know anyone in the states that could buy the outlaw and ship it to you to avoid the oppressive taxation?
tidan is offline  
post #483 of 505 Old 06-19-2014, 06:08 PM
Member
 
PlinytheWelder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 975 on the way along with a MiniDSP nanoAVR 8x8 for room correction. The combo ought to be pretty impressive if I can sort it out.
I have a rather unconventional system with 60" Planar-magnetic line source dipoles actively crossed to stereo subs
with 2 NHT 1259's in each with a low QTS sealed alignment. I run it as 4 channels with no center.

As far as cost effective goes, This should be interesting....
PlinytheWelder is offline  
post #484 of 505 Old 06-20-2014, 11:33 AM
Member
 
TheUglyBad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlinytheWelder View Post
I have a 975 on the way along with a MiniDSP nanoAVR 8x8 for room correction.
Great find!! you happen to know anything similar? I read in it's manual lip sync is max 80ms while I need 110ms for my projector.
TheUglyBad is offline  
post #485 of 505 Old 06-20-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 19,656
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Wow, nice surprise, got an e-mail from Outlaw saying they've just issued a software update for anyone not running the latest version (5.3), which fixes several problems/bugs. They're even sending customers the null-modem USB to RS-232 cable needed to connect to the 975.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....6-d4ae527547e4

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #486 of 505 Old 06-20-2014, 11:20 PM
Senior Member
 
audio4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Now that is a company that is looking after its customers.
audio4life is online now  
post #487 of 505 Old 06-26-2014, 09:19 AM
Member
 
Helson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch47d View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by sdurani 


You believe it was designed so that changing the crossover settings does nothing to the surround or surround-back channels?

I believe that selecting the surround channels to small only allows frequencies above ~120hz to reach those channels. Since the adjustable crossover range is 40hz to 200hz, changing the crossover settings produces no noticeable effect in the surround and surround back channels.

The only way to get mid-range bass frequencies out of the surround and surround back channels, is to select them as large.

It is the front/center channel crossovers that redirect bass frequencies below the crossover setting to the sub. So, even when selected as small, they have to be able to receive mid-range bass frequencies; even when set to small.
I'm using identical large tower speakers for my front mains and my surround back channels, and although I haven't done any definitive testing, I set the rear surround crossovers to 40hz, just like my mains. When listening to all channel stereo, the rear speakers sound like their reproducing down to 40hz. The bass response is the same as my fronts.
Helson is offline  
post #488 of 505 Old 08-15-2014, 09:27 AM
Member
 
gregcss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Tidan, or anyone else for that matter, are you still liking the 975/7125?
gregcss is offline  
post #489 of 505 Old 09-09-2014, 10:53 PM
Senior Member
 
zgeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does anyone know the actual HDMI version of this and if it supports consumer electronic control? The website is useless, there's no contact information on the website and I emailed the CEO and CFO and no response.
zgeneral is online now  
post #490 of 505 Old 09-10-2014, 06:29 PM
Member
 
gregcss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgeneral View Post
Does anyone know the actual HDMI version of this and if it supports consumer electronic control? The website is useless, there's no contact information on the website and I emailed the CEO and CFO and no response.
According to this review 1.4, couldn't find anything from Outlaw on it.

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...ound-processor
gregcss is offline  
post #491 of 505 Old 09-10-2014, 07:30 PM
Senior Member
 
audio4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgeneral View Post
Does anyone know the actual HDMI version of this and if it supports consumer electronic control? The website is useless, there's no contact information on the website and I emailed the CEO and CFO and no response.
Actually, there is contact information on the website, you must have missed it. on the home page, at the top right is a button link called "About". Click on it and you'll go to that page. On that page, under the "Topics" section is a link called "Contact the Outlaws". Click on it and at the bottom of the page that appears is their phone numbers. Probably no one there at night.
audio4life is online now  
post #492 of 505 Old 09-10-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgeneral View Post
Does anyone know the actual HDMI version of this and if it supports consumer electronic control? The website is useless, there's no contact information on the website and I emailed the CEO and CFO and no response.
IIRC it supports ARC and 3D. Not CEC and not stand-by passthrough.

Deadwood theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
Roger Dressler is online now  
post #493 of 505 Old 09-19-2014, 05:34 PM
Member
 
Simon1921's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just updated my 975 to the latest firmware via the serial/USB cable they sent out to owners. I notice now that I get major popping noises from my speakers when the 975 gets a signal or changes from like stereo to another codec like DTS MA. It is really jarring when I am watching a blu ray and my speakers keep getting these loud pops when the previews are playing because the disc is going to another track. I always have to mute the 975 when i am changing between audio tracks on a disc or changing the chapters on a movie. Is this normal? I have never had these loud pops on any of my other receivers or processors whenever they received a different audio source or there was a break in the audio.
Simon1921 is offline  
post #494 of 505 Old 09-21-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 313
^^ >> Is this normal?<< No. Contact Outlaw, or try the install again. Did you also do the reset?

Deadwood theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
Roger Dressler is online now  
post #495 of 505 Old 09-22-2014, 01:11 AM
Member
 
Simon1921's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
^^ >> Is this normal?<< No. Contact Outlaw, or try the install again. Did you also do the reset?

I have not done a reset yet, but I am going to try that tomorrow. If that does not work, I will try doing the firmware update again. Hopefully I do not need to contact Outlaw and possibly send it off for repair. Thanks for the help.
Simon1921 is offline  
post #496 of 505 Old 09-22-2014, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon1921 View Post
I have not done a reset yet, but I am going to try that tomorrow. If that does not work, I will try doing the firmware update again. Hopefully I do not need to contact Outlaw and possibly send it off for repair. Thanks for the help.
Just follow every step of the update process, and see how it turns out. I've loaded a couple different firmware versions in the 975 and never had any weird results.

Deadwood theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
Roger Dressler is online now  
post #497 of 505 Old 09-24-2014, 09:51 AM
Member
 
majek 60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon1921 View Post
I just updated my 975 to the latest firmware via the serial/USB cable they sent out to owners. I notice now that I get major popping noises from my speakers when the 975 gets a signal or changes from like stereo to another codec like DTS MA. It is really jarring when I am watching a blu ray and my speakers keep getting these loud pops when the previews are playing because the disc is going to another track. I always have to mute the 975 when i am changing between audio tracks on a disc or changing the chapters on a movie. Is this normal? I have never had these loud pops on any of my other receivers or processors whenever they received a different audio source or there was a break in the audio.
I am really curious what they say and do for you. Snapping and Popping noises are NOT normal and there is obviously a problem. I hear that Outlaw's Customer Service is great.

Please post the response and outcome!
majek 60 is offline  
post #498 of 505 Old 09-24-2014, 01:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Arcanum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Beautiful BC
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been using the 975 for about 8 months now and have been very impressed with it. I am, however, wondering what the best thing would be to use to get some effect like the room correction software offers. I assume you should be using a stand alone EQ or some such, but until now I have never really been exposed to a need for one.

My inquiry now is only because I was at by friend's place yesterday and he is using a Marantz 7007 receiver with the same speakers as I am and his sounded more robust in the mid and low frequencies than mine with the Audyssey engaged. Overall, the 975 sounds better and more pleasant, but the Audyssey added something that I just can't reproduce with the 975. With his Audyssey turned off, his system sounded like the slightly inferior, but still nice sounding, system that we both expected it to be in comparison. It was more robust with it on though so I need to figure out how best to add that element to mine.

Thanks
Arcanum is offline  
post #499 of 505 Old 09-24-2014, 01:46 PM
Member
 
gregcss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanum View Post
II am, however, wondering what the best thing would be to use to get some effect like the room correction software offers.
I'd start here -
Products:
http://www.minidsp.com/
http://www.dspeaker.com/

REW forum may help too:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/
gregcss is offline  
post #500 of 505 Old 09-24-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 313
^^ Could look into the MiniDSP. http://www.minidsp.com/products/mini...nidsp-10x10-hd
Read Kal's review linked at that page.

Deadwood theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
Roger Dressler is online now  
post #501 of 505 Old 09-24-2014, 02:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Arcanum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Beautiful BC
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks gregcss, great info and only a mildly steep (like Everest) learning curve for me.

I have been reading up on both of those products. My main reason for pursuing room correction is for 2 channel music but I am wondering how it would work with the nanoAVR 8x8? I will assume that it would still work when using stereo mode versus multichannel but are there any prohibitions that I should worry about with that scenario? It would allow me the bonus of having room correction for movie watching while still allowing it for my music, no?
Arcanum is offline  
post #502 of 505 Old 09-24-2014, 03:07 PM
Member
 
gregcss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanum View Post
Thanks gregcss, great info and only a mildly steep (like Everest) learning curve for me.

I have been reading up on both of those products. My main reason for pursuing room correction is for 2 channel music but I am wondering how it would work with the nanoAVR 8x8? I will assume that it would still work when using stereo mode versus multichannel but are there any prohibitions that I should worry about with that scenario? It would allow me the bonus of having room correction for movie watching while still allowing it for my music, no?
It should work that way. I don't own one, but was researching room correction for my sub if i did go the Outlaw 975 route. I'd recommend posting the question on the room correction thread.
gregcss is offline  
post #503 of 505 Old 10-03-2014, 06:21 AM
Member
 
Simon1921's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Just follow every step of the update process, and see how it turns out. I've loaded a couple different firmware versions in the 975 and never had any weird results.
I contacted outlaw and they had me check my speaker config. I told them everything was set to large with sub set to NO. They had me set the sub to yes and popping issue disappeared. He said that there was a very small number of people having this problem and selecting yes to having a sub fixed the issue. I am assuming this is some firmware bug, but it was an easy quick fix. Their customer service was fantastic btw.
Simon1921 is offline  
post #504 of 505 Old 10-19-2014, 09:27 PM
Newbie
 
phat_tshens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanum View Post
I have been using the 975 for about 8 months now and have been very impressed with it. I am, however, wondering what the best thing would be to use to get some effect like the room correction software offers. I assume you should be using a stand alone EQ or some such, but until now I have never really been exposed to a need for one.

My inquiry now is only because I was at by friend's place yesterday and he is using a Marantz 7007 receiver with the same speakers as I am and his sounded more robust in the mid and low frequencies than mine with the Audyssey engaged. Overall, the 975 sounds better and more pleasant, but the Audyssey added something that I just can't reproduce with the 975. With his Audyssey turned off, his system sounded like the slightly inferior, but still nice sounding, system that we both expected it to be in comparison. It was more robust with it on though so I need to figure out how best to add that element to mine.

Thanks

My two cents worth if that if you are itching for some sort of room EQ then you might as well sell the 975 and by an all-in-one higher end receiver which includes room EQ. Cost wise you'd most likely break even or come out ahead given the miniDSP's list price of $599 plus the 975's $549 list. The second hand market is currently overflowing with stuff like the Denon AVR-4311 which could be had for about 7 Benjamins and features the Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 . I'm sure that the miniDSP might yield somewhat better performance, on the other hand the Denon (or a similar class receiver) will also buy more HDMI inputs, a 2nd HDMI output, subwoofer equalization, HD radio tuner, Internet radio, Zone 2 and Zone 3, and a lot more.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that one of the 975's many appeals is relative low price. Spending another $500 or so for an external DSP simply cancels out the savings.
BTW, so far as I can tell it is possible to manually tweak the 975 through the Audio Setup submenu. Somewhat. Granted it's not the same as what a DSP might produce, but it is worth a shot.
phat_tshens is offline  
post #505 of 505 Old 10-19-2014, 10:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Arcanum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Beautiful BC
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by phat_tshens View Post
My two cents worth if that if you are itching for some sort of room EQ then you might as well sell the 975 and by an all-in-one higher end receiver which includes room EQ. Cost wise you'd most likely break even or come out ahead given the miniDSP's list price of $599 plus the 975's $549 list. The second hand market is currently overflowing with stuff like the Denon AVR-4311 which could be had for about 7 Benjamins and features the Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 . I'm sure that the miniDSP might yield somewhat better performance, on the other hand the Denon (or a similar class receiver) will also buy more HDMI inputs, a 2nd HDMI output, subwoofer equalization, HD radio tuner, Internet radio, Zone 2 and Zone 3, and a lot more.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that one of the 975's many appeals is relative low price. Spending another $500 or so for an external DSP simply cancels out the savings.
BTW, so far as I can tell it is possible to manually tweak the 975 through the Audio Setup submenu. Somewhat. Granted it's not the same as what a DSP might produce, but it is worth a shot.

Thanks for that, it is what I have been coming to think as well. I have tweeked the 975 as much as I could and, don`t get me wrong it sounds very good but, the Audyssey on my friend`s Marantz still has a fuller bottom end. I also tried the Dirac software on a trial and it helped as well. the problem with it, however, is that it doesn`t have the same bass management as the integrated receiver solutions.

Now, anyone reading this who is looking for information about the performance of the 975 for the first time please understand, for the money it is an excellent processor. For a lot more money it is still an excellent processor. I am just hoping to squeeze every last ounce of ability out of it. I would easily recommend it to anyone that asked.
Dave Vaughn likes this.
Arcanum is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Outlaw Audio

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off