Sort me out. I'm all confused! Pleeeeeeeeze :-) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-07-2012, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a nice two channel tube setup. The tube preamp has a home theater pass-through.

I am looking to add a 3D PJ/screen and a coupla rear speakers with a center channel.

So....I need a receiver now that has HDMI 1.4 switching (I guess, right? Because of the 3D thing)

If I use the pass through, does that mean that the receiver will only be handling the center and rear channels and my tube amp and preamp will continue to handle the fronts?

If the receiver is taking over ALL duties (amp/preamp) then do I need another set of sources too (dvd/cable/music server).

Not sure what I am doing here......rolleyes.gif

-Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-07-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You're on track.. you just need to find a receiver that has pre-outs (not just tape loop) for the main L/R channels. That typically means it will have pre-outs for all the channels.

You can hook your stereo sources up to either your current tube pre-amp, or the receiver. I'd keep them connected to the tube pre-amp, and just connect your HDMI sources to the receiver.

When you're ready to use multi-channel, you'll just select the Pass-Through input on your tube pre-amp, and the receiver would control the volume and input switching for multichannel sources.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-07-2012, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would the receiver then control the universal volume of all speakers even though the 2ch. tube amp is taking the front channel duty on?
In other words, I use the remote for my existing 2 ch. system until I want to play a movie and then I hit the pass through button and switch to the receiver remote?

So basically,I need a receiver with:
1. At least three channels of amplication (probably wind up with a 5.1 receiver)
2. Pre-outs for the left/right channels
3. HDMI 1.4 switching

This is what I should be lookling for?
Missing anything?
post #4 of 4 Old 08-07-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Rubman View Post

Would the receiver then control the universal volume of all speakers even though the 2ch. tube amp is taking the front channel duty on?
In other words, I use the remote for my existing 2 ch. system until I want to play a movie and then I hit the pass through button and switch to the receiver remote?
So basically,I need a receiver with:
1. At least three channels of amplication (probably wind up with a 5.1 receiver)
2. Pre-outs for the left/right channels
3. HDMI 1.4 switching
This is what I should be lookling for?
Missing anything?

Yep, you got it.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page