What does networking get me? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-08-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Deciding on a new receiver and working the pros/cons of the networking feature. I understand the direct access to Pandora and the like, and some receivers also say that you can access DLNA servers.....but what I'm not sure about is the mechanism thru which you interact with these functions. Do you have to have the TV on in order to navigate thru a gui/OSD each time you want to use the function? or can you set up some defaults and then just turn the receiver on and go?

What else do/can you use networking for?

TIA.....gdog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-08-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Firmware updates via the network. Games. Connection to other devices on your network. The mix varies with the receiver and whether you add some options.

Many of the newer networked receivers also feature connection to smart phones, iPods and/or tablet computers. These can be used for the control and OSD functions and navigation so that you don't need to have a TV on. Usually the receiver's display is not adequate for all but the most elementary navigation since they tend to be too small to see from any great distance and don't display more than a few lines of info.

post #3 of 3 Old 08-08-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info...

I have an IPAD, so I could use that to control the receiver to connect to and start playing pandora for instance?....or access a DLNA server that I set up on my NAS....correct?

Are these "remote control" functions fairly standard on the newer product lines?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page