Repair or Replace Bogen Mono Amp? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-08-2012, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I have a couple of questions for the experts here. Quick background...

Our church has been using a Bogen CHS100B 100W amp to power a series of auxiliary ceiling speakers throughout the building (70v system - each w/volume control) as well as a Gentner hearing assist system via the line-leve/tape output. The amp began shutting down recently. Holding the reset button allows it to power on, but it eventually shuts down again. The amp is probably somewhere around 10 to 15 years old and hasn't had any issues until now. (Good recommendation for Bogen!)

Of course like most churches we have budget issues so we'd like to keep expenses to a minimum. I'm not sure what might be wrong with the amp, but I'm reluctant to pay to have it bench tested only to find out it's at the end-of-life cycle (not unexpected). If it can be repaired I'm worried about that cost as well, plus that something else might go wrong with it down the road due to its age. Perhaps I worry too much.

In any case, a more-or-less equal replacement is Bogen's C100 which when all is said an done runs about $400.

So two questions...

First do you think it is worth taking in to find out what's wrong? (Cost approx. $50 to bench test.)

Second, since we're only using it for the two tasks mentioned, is a like-for-like replacement necessary or would you recommend an ideally less expensive alternative? Due to the number of speakers, etc. it has to be a 100W RMS/200W peak amp minimum.

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-08-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 447
The first thing I would do is make sure the load it is driving has not changed. Make sure nothing has been shorted out (say by someone drilling into the wires), speakers have not burned out, etc. It could just be overheating due to those factors.

On getting it fixed, it is a pain to troubleshoot intermittent problems like this. They may tell you there is nothing wrong after taking your $50 as it may not fail for them. Assuming you are resetting the thermal breaker, it could be the above issue or the thermal detection itself has failed. Put your hand on it. Is it hotter than it used to be? Has someone changed he cooling/air flow to it? Temporary put a fan there and blow some air into it and see if it works longer.

As to the brand, bless their heart for including the schematic with the owner's manual! smile.gif I would certainly give them more of my money if you were to replace it. It is hard to say if the amp will fail again. if caps are put close to hot areas of the amp, likely they have dried out causing this problem and others in the future. For now though, until you have investigated the above it is premature to make this call. Test the simple/fee things first and then decide on repair/replacement.

Amir
Founder,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Insist on Quality Engineering"

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page