AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Hi Tony,

When you had the SSP-800, did you use the PEQ to good effect? It took me a while to get it dialed in, but I cannot see how I could use a unit that has no EQ, regardless of other sonic attributes. Sure, the SP3 can feed something as nice as a Trinnov, but even at that level of expense, it's another analog/digital cycle in the chain.

Yes, there's a lot of EQ out there I'd be happily avoid. Like anything I cannot tweak as I wish. I cannot tell if the Krell fits that or not. It uses the Cirrus DSPs that support PEQ, but whether they made them available I cannot tell from the manual.

If you left the EQ off, all the better for the comparison -- if your A/B memory is solid! biggrin.gif

My intention is to use the DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 to eq the subs. I don't recall needing much correction above above that as my room is pretty well treated. I will compare with eq off which I didn't consider doing the first time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 97 Old 03-30-2013, 07:59 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Hi Tony,

When you had the SSP-800, did you use the PEQ to good effect? It took me a while to get it dialed in, but I cannot see how I could use a unit that has no EQ, regardless of other sonic attributes. Sure, the SP3 can feed something as nice as a Trinnov, but even at that level of expense, it's another analog/digital cycle in the chain.

Yes, there's a lot of EQ out there I'd be happily avoid. Like anything I cannot tweak as I wish. I cannot tell if the Krell fits that or not. It uses the Cirrus DSPs that support PEQ, but whether they made them available I cannot tell from the manual.

If you left the EQ off, all the better for the comparison -- if your A/B memory is solid! biggrin.gif

Very well said Roger!

My humble Cinema
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 97 Old 11-05-2013, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Anyway, for those interested, Bryston SP-3 on the way. Will take 2-3 weeks to arrive so I am anxiously waiting. Coming from a Classe SSP800 so expectations are high!

Hi Tony,

I would love to hear your comparison of the Bryston SP-3 and the Classe SSP800.
I'm considering the Bryston SP3, Krell Foundation and the Theta CBIII HD (used).
I have demoed the Classe CP-800 at my house, so I have a reference point.

Thanks for your time.

Eric
post #94 of 97 Old 02-23-2014, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I currently have Integra DHC-80.3 pre/pro which is around US$2700 before taxes.

I am considering replacing above with:

Bryston SP-3
Classe SSP-800
Parasound P7 analog pre-amp (7 ch) and an Oppo player

I guess I will lose Audyssey XT32 room correction but i am ok with that i think.

B&W 802 Diamond mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center, B&W 804 Diamond surrounds, Parasound HALO A 51, Krell KAV-300i , Integra DHC-80.3 pre-pro, two JL Audio Fathom f113 subs, Panasonic TC-P65VT50 65" plasma
post #95 of 97 Old 02-23-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bao01 View Post

I currently have Integra DHC-80.3 pre/pro which is around US$2700 before taxes.

I am considering replacing above with:

Bryston SP-3
Classe SSP-800
Parasound P7 analog pre-amp (7 ch) and an Oppo player

I guess I will lose Audyssey XT32 room correction but i am ok with that i think.

Get the Bryston SP3. It's still "the first great processor." And the professional reviews on it speak for themselves. wink.gif
post #96 of 97 Old 02-24-2014, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
yes - it gets very good reviews (and i know you have to take reviews with grain of salt)

B&W 802 Diamond mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center, B&W 804 Diamond surrounds, Parasound HALO A 51, Krell KAV-300i , Integra DHC-80.3 pre-pro, two JL Audio Fathom f113 subs, Panasonic TC-P65VT50 65" plasma
post #97 of 97 Old 02-24-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bao01 View Post

yes - it gets very good reviews (and i know you have to take reviews with grain of salt)

Fortunately, not for the Bryston SP3. I know of at least one reviewer, who I quoted, who does not own the SP3, and he rated it higher than one of the ones he was using, the Classe. I have always found his reviews to be objective and frank.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page