Bryston SP3 vs. Classe SP800 vs. Audiolab 8200AP - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 97 Old 03-30-2013, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
adidino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Hi Tony,

When you had the SSP-800, did you use the PEQ to good effect? It took me a while to get it dialed in, but I cannot see how I could use a unit that has no EQ, regardless of other sonic attributes. Sure, the SP3 can feed something as nice as a Trinnov, but even at that level of expense, it's another analog/digital cycle in the chain.

Yes, there's a lot of EQ out there I'd be happily avoid. Like anything I cannot tweak as I wish. I cannot tell if the Krell fits that or not. It uses the Cirrus DSPs that support PEQ, but whether they made them available I cannot tell from the manual.

If you left the EQ off, all the better for the comparison -- if your A/B memory is solid! biggrin.gif


My intention is to use the DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 to eq the subs. I don't recall needing much correction above above that as my room is pretty well treated. I will compare with eq off which I didn't consider doing the first time.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
adidino is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 97 Old 03-30-2013, 07:59 AM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 6,698
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Hi Tony,

When you had the SSP-800, did you use the PEQ to good effect? It took me a while to get it dialed in, but I cannot see how I could use a unit that has no EQ, regardless of other sonic attributes. Sure, the SP3 can feed something as nice as a Trinnov, but even at that level of expense, it's another analog/digital cycle in the chain.

Yes, there's a lot of EQ out there I'd be happily avoid. Like anything I cannot tweak as I wish. I cannot tell if the Krell fits that or not. It uses the Cirrus DSPs that support PEQ, but whether they made them available I cannot tell from the manual.

If you left the EQ off, all the better for the comparison -- if your A/B memory is solid! biggrin.gif

Very well said Roger!

My humble Cinema
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wse is offline  
post #93 of 97 Old 11-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Newbie
 
ebowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Anyway, for those interested, Bryston SP-3 on the way. Will take 2-3 weeks to arrive so I am anxiously waiting. Coming from a Classe SSP800 so expectations are high!


Hi Tony,

I would love to hear your comparison of the Bryston SP-3 and the Classe SSP800.
I'm considering the Bryston SP3, Krell Foundation and the Theta CBIII HD (used).
I have demoed the Classe CP-800 at my house, so I have a reference point.

Thanks for your time.

Eric
ebowman is offline  
post #94 of 97 Old 02-23-2014, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
bao01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 649
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I currently have Integra DHC-80.3 pre/pro which is around US$2700 before taxes.

I am considering replacing above with:

Bryston SP-3
Classe SSP-800
Parasound P7 analog pre-amp (7 ch) and an Oppo player

I guess I will lose Audyssey XT32 room correction but i am ok with that i think.

B&W 802 Diamond mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center, B&W 804 Diamond surrounds, Parasound HALO A 51, Krell KAV-300i , Integra DHC-80.3 pre-pro, two JL Audio Fathom f113 subs, Panasonic TC-P65VT50 65" plasma
bao01 is offline  
post #95 of 97 Old 02-23-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bao01 View Post

I currently have Integra DHC-80.3 pre/pro which is around US$2700 before taxes.

I am considering replacing above with:

Bryston SP-3
Classe SSP-800
Parasound P7 analog pre-amp (7 ch) and an Oppo player

I guess I will lose Audyssey XT32 room correction but i am ok with that i think.

Get the Bryston SP3. It's still "the first great processor." And the professional reviews on it speak for themselves. wink.gif
gbaby is offline  
post #96 of 97 Old 02-24-2014, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
bao01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 649
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
yes - it gets very good reviews (and i know you have to take reviews with grain of salt)

B&W 802 Diamond mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center, B&W 804 Diamond surrounds, Parasound HALO A 51, Krell KAV-300i , Integra DHC-80.3 pre-pro, two JL Audio Fathom f113 subs, Panasonic TC-P65VT50 65" plasma
bao01 is offline  
post #97 of 97 Old 02-24-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bao01 View Post

yes - it gets very good reviews (and i know you have to take reviews with grain of salt)

Fortunately, not for the Bryston SP3. I know of at least one reviewer, who I quoted, who does not own the SP3, and he rated it higher than one of the ones he was using, the Classe. I have always found his reviews to be objective and frank.
gbaby is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off