Looking for some opinions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-09-2012, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been reading up on this site for a while and finally decided to join. Looking at a new receiver, but am stuck on what to get. I have a Denon 3805, and it doesn't seem to have the umph that it once had when I first got it. But I'm also wanting newer features with at least networking capability, I will also be upgrading my speakers as well.

In no particular order the ones that appeal to me have been:
Onkyo 3010
Yamaha 3010 or 3020 (when it comes out)
Denon AVR 4311 or the 4520 (when it comes out)

I know each of these have different systems for automatically setting things up, either MCACC, YPAO or Audyssey.

For the speakers I'm upgrading from some Athenas to Paradigm. Monitor 7s or 9s for LR, Center 1 or 3, and Surround 1 or 3s with an Ultracube 10. It will be a 7.2 setup minimum with a few other zones wired out for independent audio.

thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-09-2012, 05:51 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 1615
MCAAC is only used in Pioneer AVRs while the Onkyo and Denon models you list use the same highest version of Audyssey MultEQ XT32. The new Denon 4520CI will be released in Sep while the 4311CI is currently on clearance. Note however, that any version of Audyssey (other than 2EQ) will likely be an improvement as other older 380X (non Audyssey) owners have posted being the case when purchasing lower level (MultEQ) Denon models.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 4 Old 08-09-2012, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have the 3010 driving a 7.2 setup. My Front Mains are Klipsch KLF-30s which have 2x12" woofers for speaker. The 3010 is able to drive them with no problem. I used an external amp for them when I had my Onkyo tx-nr3007 but the 3010 is able to drive them fine. You can also Bi-amp the fronts if you wish. You give up the front wide speakers but are still able to use the front height speakers.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-09-2012, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Might want to consider the onkyo 3009 if onkyo is a serious contender and you want to save a few bucks. But all your choices are good. The denon and onkyo do offer audyssey xt32 which eq's the bass and does a fine job helping your system sound awesome in your main listening positions.

butter and jelly please.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page