THX listening modes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-09-2012, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I just found out that on my AVR I can only get Audyssey FLAT by using a THX listening mode and disabling RE-EQ. What happens when I select Dolby PLIIx THX Cinema, Neural THX Cinema, THX Cinema or THX Ultra2 Cinema when a Dolby Digital or Dolby TrueHD track is running and what happens when I select DTS Neo 6 THX Cinema, Neural THX Cinema, THX Cinema or THX Ultra2 Cinema when a DTS or DTS-master track is running?

No, I m not looking for an explanation what THX is, I want to know what the DSP does in this mode. Are there any delays applied etc etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-09-2012, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I tend to use audyssey DSX and straight decode the most. I haven't noticed anything special about thx modes on any receiver. And turning on some of the thx features just sounds horrible.

butter and jelly please.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-09-2012, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

I just found out that on my AVR I can only get Audyssey FLAT by using a THX listening mode and disabling RE-EQ. What happens when I select Dolby PLIIx THX Cinema, Neural THX Cinema, THX Cinema or THX Ultra2 Cinema when a Dolby Digital or Dolby TrueHD track is running and what happens when I select DTS Neo 6 THX Cinema, Neural THX Cinema, THX Cinema or THX Ultra2 Cinema when a DTS or DTS-master track is running?
No, I m not looking for an explanation what THX is, I want to know what the DSP does in this mode. Are there any delays applied etc etc?
I'm suspecting you have an Onkyo AVR since the only way you can get the flat curve is via a THX mode. In regards to your question what happens in the modes you said, as long as your on a THX mode you will aways be on flat curve. Now what does adding the PIIx and Neo6 etc on top of the THX do? What do they all have in common? The answer is they all matrix sources that are not 7.1 to 7.1 or above, the difference now is that along with the mode you also have THX processing engaged.

Personally in my home theater I find the house Audyssey curve preferrable to the flat curve, also with my Onkyo being a newer model they have now added the ability to choose the flat curve.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page