Using a pre-processor like the Emotiva UMC-1 vs a reciever with preouts? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 08-10-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 308
We're going round in circles. Just like "sounds good to me" keeps audio from evolving into something really great: http://seanolive.blogspot.ch/2009/10/audios-circle-of-confusion.html

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 08-10-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

We're going round in circles. Just like "sounds good to me" keeps audio from evolving into something really great: http://seanolive.blogspot.ch/2009/10/audios-circle-of-confusion.html

Getting tied up in trying to reach perfection keeps it from evolving into fantastic for some.

Spam and steak definitely do not taste the same. Perhaps some scientist can persuade me that spam tastes better.

Somehow this conversation reminds me of sex with a pretty woman and an ugly one. The ugly one may be more satisfying, but many will take the pretty one to keep up their self image.

Have a good day. I have to go to Kroger for more pop corn.
post #33 of 42 Old 08-10-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:

What is keeping audio from evolving just because someone says their system "sounds good to me"? The way I look at it we are all entitled to our opinion. If someone says their system sounds good to them then thats fine with me. Would it be different if some said their system "sounds good to me" if they had an Onkyo AVR and used Audyssey wink.gif?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #34 of 42 Old 08-10-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

What is keeping audio from evolving just because someone says their system "sounds good to me"? The way I look at it we are all entitled to our opinion. If someone says their system sounds good to them then thats fine with me. Would it be different if some said their system "sounds good to me" if they had an Onkyo AVR and used Audyssey wink.gif?
Bill

Of course, everybody is entitled to have an opinion but it's just that, a subjective opinion. I know people that think their Bose cubes sound good. "Sounds good to me" is simply a very naive view at sound reproduction. And I don't care if it's coming from an Onkyo or an Emotiva fanboy.

I'm more interested in facts. And it is a fact that the UMC-1 has some serious problems.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #35 of 42 Old 08-10-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of course, everybody is entitled to have an opinion but it's just that, a subjective opinion. I know people that think their Bose cubes sound good. "Sounds good to me" is simply a very naive view at sound reproduction. And I don't care if it's coming from an Onkyo or an Emotiva fanboy.
I'm more interested in facts. And it is a fact that the UMC-1 has some serious problems.

I am typing very slow so you can possibly comprehend.

You seem to be of the opinion that 2 different brands of speakers can be adjusted to within a few db across the spectrum. I do not care what means you use (room eq, treatments, etc) as long as measurements are reasonably similar on both pairs of speakers.

How would you then decide on which pair to buy or take if they were free?
post #36 of 42 Old 08-10-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

I am typing very slow so you can possibly comprehend.

No need to lose your manners. The topic is "Using a pre-processor like the Emotiva UMC-1 vs a reciever with preouts?"

Markus

post #37 of 42 Old 08-10-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No need to lose your manners. The topic is "Using a pre-processor like the Emotiva UMC-1 vs a reciever with preouts?"

The debate is beyond UMC vs AVR. I think your response would have been the same if I said I preferred no room eq regardless of brand.
However, you seem to have a vendetta against Emotiva. IMO the UMC would sound different than the Pioneer if neither used any form of room correction. How long have you been an employee of Audyssey?

You failed to answer my question about which speaker you would choose.
post #38 of 42 Old 08-10-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

Well then I guess there are a lot of naive people out there. I think its fine that you want facts and deal in an objective world. But the way you basically look at those that do things subjectively is a bit much if you ask me. I'm in this hobby to enjoy it and not to be overly obsessive about it. Where is the fun in that smile.gif?
Quote:

As I said thats great. Maybe you should have more of an open mind for those that aren't so rigid as yourself. Of course the UMC-1 has had issues. But you haven't tested or heard the UMC-1 after the most recent FW update. So you can not say factually (you do like to deal in the facts right wink.gif) that the BM issue you originally found is still an issue. If you still continue to slam the UMC-1 in its present form it goes directly against what you are preaching. That is that you are interested in the facts wink.gif.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #39 of 42 Old 08-10-2012, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Bill,

It's not just bass management that has problems. What about reference level? That's a very basic feature and the UMC-1's reference level test signal is still master volume control dependend. How could Dolby Volume ever work correctly if there's no reference point in the receiver? I think we don't need to discuss why equal-loudness correction is crucial.

Back to bass management. It was broken. It was denied by Emotiva that the problem even existed. Then they released a firmware and called the problem fixed. Isn't it strange that a problem that didn't exist needed a fix? Anyhow, given Emotiva's track record in breaking promises, I think it's very reasonable to ask for prove that signal flow has been corrected:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/781208/emotiva-thread-q-a-technical-talk-only/14550#post_22090917

So until there's any prove that those problems have been fixed, it's unreasonable to recommend the UMC-1.

Markus

post #40 of 42 Old 08-12-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So until there's any prove that those problems have been fixed, it's unreasonable to recommend the UMC-1.

Either way you slice it whenever the discussion of the UMC-1 comes up you go after those that are happy with it. I don't suggest the UMC-1 either and my experiences weren't positive as well. But that was before the latest FW so who knows if I would find it works or sounds any better. At the same time I don't badger those that are happy with it just because of my negative experiences.

Bill

post #41 of 42 Old 08-12-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Either way you slice it whenever the discussion of the UMC-1 comes up you go after those that are happy with it. I don't suggest the UMC-1 either and my experiences weren't positive as well. But that was before the latest FW so who knows if I would find it works or sounds any better. At the same time I don't badger those that are happy with it just because of my negative experiences.
Bill

I don't "go after people" or "badger" them. If someone is happy with a broken device, I'm perfectly fine with it. But if someone is recommending such a device then I should be allowed to tell the truth about that device, no? We're talking about technical devices with certain features. Those features either work or they don't. Some features in the UMC-1 simply don't work.

By the way, if you have to make personal remarks then send a PM. Your or MUDCAT45's comments don't have much to do with the topic at hand.

Markus

post #42 of 42 Old 08-12-2012, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 410
could we move on please?

thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page