HDMI pass through Yamaha AVR - reset? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-10-2012, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Yamaha RX-V665 AVR. I had both my blu ray player and my Dish box bringing HDMI into the AVR and then using the HDMI output on the AVR to send to the HDMI1 input on my Panasonic plasma. While the connection is sometimes flakey and I have to turn some of the components off and back on to get them to talk nicely to each other it has generally worked well for a year or so.

Last night I went to watch TV and while I got sound and my receiver registered input from HDMI the plasma was blank. After some experimenting I seem to have multiple issues, one not so bad, the other will require reconfiguring my whole set up.

So I plugged my blu-ray player directly into the HDMI input on the plasma. Nothing. But if I plug it straight into HDMI2 or 3 then it works.
Did the same test for the Dish DVR, same results. Safe to say, HDMI1 input port is bad.

Then I tried to run both boxes back through the AVR and into the HDMI2 port. Nothing. Same with 3. So aside from the fact that I have a fried HDMI port on my tv, it also seems like the HDMI out on the receiver is bad.

To add to this, we had a pretty bad thunderstorm yesterday and while the rest of the receiver seems to be working just fine, it seems possible that a power surge went out the HDMI out port on the AVR and into the HDMI1 input on my tv. Would explain why both ports seem not to be working.

I guess I don't want this to be the case even though it seems more likely the more I think about it. Anyone familiar with the RX-series of Yamaha AVR's have any suggestions on how to potentially "reset" the HDMI out? I'm not sure how many optical inputs on the RX off the top of my head but I suppose the work around would be to direct connect my two HDMI devices directly to the remaining 2 good HDMI ports on the TV and just run the audio direct from those devices through the optical outs/ins?

Any comments? Suggestions? (besides buying a surge protector)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-10-2012, 07:36 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
Sounds like a power surge fried the HDMI connections as you suspect. Check the AVR's Owner's manual for a microprocessor reset procedure to see if that has any effect. If not, time to get your insurance company on the line. frown.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page