Help with upgrade decision - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-11-2012, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Aight folks, seeking some help. Moving into a new home and have decided to upgrade my TV to the VT50 and have 3D capabilities. Both my AVR's are a few years old. My primary unit was Pio SC-05 and also have an Onkyo NR807 from our former game room (2ndary viewing location). Neither rig will pass 1.4.

So do I keep the sc-05 as my main rig and get an Oppo player with dual Hdmi output and solve the outdated ness issue that way, or do I need to bite bullet and upgrade avr now?

Need to upgrade bluray player anyway so that issue is moot.

I'm trying to sense if their are enough improvements to avr options in last 3yrs since I bought these units. I already use Sonos and Apple TV to handle network and multiroom audio, so not sure if expanded network features in the avr are needed.

I've been away from the whole HT scene for a year or so traveling for work so I'd appreciate input as to if there are major things I'm not considering.

Budget as always plays into it, while I can drop 1-2k on an upgrading the avr, but if the upgrade over my existing gear is only marginal, then I'm not sure that's a smart play.

Opinions welcome!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-11-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 250
The OPPO BDP-95 is not only the best SACD/CD player for under $10,000 IMO (sounds better than my $6000 Ayre player), but one of the best Bluray players too.

It pretty much does everything, and has seven discrete analog audio outputs as well as two HDMI outputs etc. etc. It also has a wireless router connection capability for Netflix or whatever.
$999

I don't think you lose much by staying with the 807.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page