Seeking flexibility to mix and match video and audio sources - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-12-2012, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all--I hope this friendly forum can offer some advice on choosing a receiver. I'm novice when it comes to modern networked AV receivers.

In addition to standard living-room use cases (TV/movies/music), I'd love to have a receiver for more sophisticated/flexible scenarios where audio and video signals come from different inputs and it is simple to switch the video output between my television (via HDMI) and projector (via composite/component/VGA/"old stuff"). Here are some example situations to help illustrate what I'm looking for:
  1. HDMI video coming from a computer routed to my TV via HDMI with audio coming to the receiver via RCA cables (shortwave radio, old tape player, a small analog mixer, etc.)
  2. video from an AppleTV over HDMI going out to a projector via composite or component paired with audio from the built-in FM tuner.
  3. video from an old clunky VCR paired with audio from an AppleTV

Do consumer-level receivers that do such things exist? If so, what would you call such a feature and/or what models are available? Any tips from you experts would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-14-2012, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

::crickets::

Ok, I'll take that as a no. :-)

A simpler question: can your average receiver take a video signal that comes in digital (over hdmi) and send it out as analog (over composite or component). What feature do I look for to ensure it can do that?
post #3 of 5 Old 08-14-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 135
To the latter question, the answer is generally no. Many receivers can convert analog inputs to HDMI outputs. But, they cannot convert HDMI inputs to analog outputs. Copy protection is a big part of that limitation.

As for the previous question, some receivers can mix and match audio and video sources. It is not a common feature, though, and you need to read manuals carefully to determine how the function is implemented.
82times likes this.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-14-2012, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, thanks @BIslander. I never thought about the copy protection aspect of "downgrading" the signal like that. Makes sense.

Yes, I'm starting to download PDFs of manuals from various manufacturers to try and get the full scoop.

If anyone has knowledge of specific models that allow the mix-and-match of audio and video sources, that would be a great starting point for me.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-15-2012, 04:37 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Liked: 1606
Denon AVRs will meet your requirements in post #1. Review the first few posts in both the Denon XX12 (last year's models) and the Denon XX13 (this year's models) Owner's threads linked in my sig to see a comparison of the features of the various models.
82times likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page