Best Setup for under 400ish - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-12-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So just a heads up, when it comes to the audio side of things i am pretty much a noob. I have always been way big on the Video side of things. Have had a few plasmas, and getting a 65VT50 soon. Just moved into a new place, and figured it was time to upgrade my audio. I was first going to get a Sony sound bar. My brother has one and it really has impressed me. He has either the CT150, or 350, cant remember. Anyways. I sit about 12ft away from tv, and figured, With the price of sound bars, might as well spend a little more and get a 5.1 setup. I wish i could do 7.1 but my living room is really long and rectangular so I really only have 2 walls, the one the TV hangs on, and the Wall my sofa is on. Which is why i figured 5.1 is easier, i have no sides for 7.1

I was actually first off going to get the CT350 from sony, but looks like you cant find it anywhere anymore (discontinued?). And like i said, figured i would spend a little more and get a full system. Now With my Price range, I dont even know if i can get a good 5.1 setup to begin with, so it still might be better to get a soundbar if that is what will give me the better choice. Thats why I came to you guys, PPL who know infinitely more then me about the audio side.

I have looked at a few home theater systems. I dont need a Blu-ray as i have an OPPO BD93. The only reason I have looked at a sort of receiver/speaker combo is cause i know very little. Is it better to buy the Receiver and Speakers separately? I wouldn't even know where to start, so any help you guys could offer would be MUCH appreciated.

Right now i do about 60% TV and 40% Blu-rays but that is just because of the olympics. Once those are over, The audio system I would want more for my BD collection. So it will probably be 70/30, 70 being blu-ray, 30 being TV watching. I also game, but i dont care about the sound on that. I am going to get some really nice headphones for that.

Sorry for the long post, and any help you could offer would be appreciated. like i said i have no idea where to start on all this, as i am a total noob on this side of the home theater island.

Theater Room: 65ZT60, Denon 2313CI, Oppo 103D, Apple TV, Logitech Harmony Ultimate
Bedroom: 65VT50, Sony S790, Harmony Smart Control
Game Room: Upcoming Purchases - 4K TV (Vizio P series, R series, or AX900) Already Have - OPPO 103D, Harmony Ultimate, Apple TV, 24 gaming systems ready to be hooked up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Calilife17.... heres a few questions that should be answerd as we can help you more...

1) Budget??
2) Size of room??
3) Are you looking for smaller speakers such as Booshelf & Sat's or is a larger set up such as towers ok??
4) Any preferance in color?
post #3 of 6 Old 08-12-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

1.) For both receiver and speakers probably no more then $450.
2.) Its a long rectangle, So its probably about 14ft from the wall the TV is on to the Wall the sofa is on. and Its probably about 24ft long. The wall the TV is on is sorta a middle wall, with openings on both side. so that wall is only about 10ft long. The setup is in the middle of the room, So mounting speakers directly to the right and left of me on the sofa is out of the Question, So i can really only do speakers behind me and in front of me. If that makes sense.
3.) I would like to mount the rear speakers to the wall if i could, Front speakers dont have to be bookshelf or satellite type speakers. the front speakers can be floor style. TV is going to be wall mounted with cabinet under it.
4.)I guess for color, black would be preferred since pretty much everything else in A/V setup is black.

anymore questions feel free to ask. Thanks again!

Theater Room: 65ZT60, Denon 2313CI, Oppo 103D, Apple TV, Logitech Harmony Ultimate
Game Room: Upcoming Purchases - 4K TV (Vizio P series, R series, or AX900) Already Have - OPPO 103D, Harmony Ultimate, Apple TV, 24 gaming systems ready to be hooked up.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Somebody linked to onkyo 5.1 HTIB in another thread earlier that was $280. I believe it was s3400 model/setup. Well below your budget. If you look around and want to spend more you can probably find something better. Or spend the money saved on a pair of towers for $200 for a little more oomph and full range for mains.

butter and jelly please.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-12-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

took a look, looks like nice setup, but looks like its a passive subwoofer and it seems people prefer a powered one.

What do people think of the Onkyo S5500? anyone have any hands on with that one? i know the speakers are smallish, but does that make a difference between the large floor models?

Does Onkyo make good products? Looks like the S5500 might be a good choice. Any other products ppl suggest?

post #6 of 6 Old 08-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I had the s5100 or 5300, forgot. It was OK. If you're not looking for anything serious, it is great. Onkyo's tend to run hotter so I highly recommend proper ventilation and active cooling if possible, as opposed to other manufacturers whose receivers tend to run cooler in comparison. I would gather that onkyo probably throws together the best value for in house htib's. The ones pieced together by retailers are usually pretty good as they're trying to clear out two birds with one sale.

butter and jelly please.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page