Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 55 Old 08-20-2012, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Of course the Marantz is 1/3 cheaper. Its 125 watts! Lol

If you're going to compare amps at least make sure they're in the same league. What's next, a price comparison with chip amps?

I suggest you go buy that fire spitting Marantz.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

JTR Noesis 212HT x 3 (LCR) powered by Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
CHT SHO-10 x 4 (sides and rear) powered by Denon 4311
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 Old 08-22-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
THD and SNR are a moving target. I'd be more concerned at what frequent and at what output level and how many channels were driven when it was measured.

Many amps reach 1% THD near clipping.

Now back to Sunfire. I bought several of the discontinued Sunfires prior to the new TGA redo. The only change was faceplate, cap change on secondary side of transformer and the OEM that made the transformer (same spec just different source vendor).

I ran one for about a year and the end users loved them ( and the price).

Now I have been told that EMOTIVA and SUNFIRE use the same OEM. if true you might want to get a price from them too.

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #33 of 55 Old 08-22-2012, 08:46 PM

Liked: 12
Emotiva got it's start off of a defunct Carver Digital amp that never saw the light of day as a Carver or a Sunfire product. Sunfire is exclusively Sunfire and nothing else on the Amp side. The pre's originally were all Sunfire as well, but with teh advent of HDMI, they began sharing the design cost with other manufacturer's such as Sherbourn and Emotiva.

Again, to be clear, Sunfire amps and Emotiva amps are NOT the same. Sunfire is class A/B and Emo is class D.
post #34 of 55 Old 08-22-2012, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post

Again, to be clear, Sunfire amps and Emotiva amps are NOT the same. Sunfire is class A/B and Emo is class D.

The Sunfire is a class H amp. The output stage is A/B, but the infinitely variable rails of the down-tracking power supply is what creates its awesome efficiency and ability to run so cool. It is this that makes it a class H.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

JTR Noesis 212HT x 3 (LCR) powered by Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
CHT SHO-10 x 4 (sides and rear) powered by Denon 4311
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #35 of 55 Old 08-23-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I just thought EMOTIVA was the OEM that made or manufactured Sunfire prior to going out on their own.

Prior to becoming Wyred4Sound the company was Cullen Circuits and was the munfactuere for companies like PS AUDIO.

As with the doc I thought Sunfire has been class H for the past two model series. Most pro amps are now class H ot class T.

Mike Miles

post #36 of 55 Old 08-23-2012, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:

Emotiva got it's start off of a defunct Carver Digital amp that never saw the light of day as a Carver or a Sunfire product. Sunfire is exclusively Sunfire and nothing else on the Amp side. The pre's originally were all Sunfire as well, but with teh advent of HDMI, they began sharing the design cost with other manufacturer's such as Sherbourn and Emotiva.

ummm ya. Emo doesn't have any class D amps, the sunfires are class H and Emotiva is owned by Jade designs......... way to get all your info right rolleyes.gif

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #37 of 55 Old 08-23-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

JD does Sherbourn too.

Mike Miles

post #38 of 55 Old 08-23-2012, 06:57 PM

It was my understanding that Emo's original offering was in fact a class D design. I got that wrong. They may not offer them any longer(their first amp was by far their best IMHO) According to what I learned about it, it used card amps for each of it's seven channels, and was class A/B. I go by the output of the amp with regards to their classification, so for me it's just a matter of semantics on that. The facts that matter here the most IMHO is that the Sunfire amp and the Emo amp are completely dis-similar designs. Which is better? that's for your ears to decide, but I will stick with the Sunfire.
post #39 of 55 Old 08-23-2012, 08:34 PM

Liked: 11
Like heat off the plate of a Super Junior...so are the days of our lives.

Outlaw FTW.
post #40 of 55 Old 08-23-2012, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was my understanding that Emo's original offering was in fact a class D design. I got that wrong. They may not offer them any longer(their first amp was by far their best IMHO) According to what I learned about it, it used card amps for each of it's seven channels, and was class A/B. I go by the output of the amp with regards to their classification, so for me it's just a matter of semantics on that. The facts that matter here the most IMHO is that the Sunfire amp and the Emo amp are completely dis-similar designs. Which is better? that's for your ears to decide, but I will stick with the Sunfire.

One their first amps was the MPS-1, they made have made something before that but I've never heard of it if they did and it was a bladed amp, it was class H, not A/B

post #41 of 55 Old 08-23-2012, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

JD does Sherbourn too.

Yes buy only recently, Jade designs makes lots of OEM stuff for all sorts of companys, even some of the big boys from what big Dan has said on the lounge forums.

post #42 of 55 Old 08-24-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 383
I believe Emotivas first amp was the LPA-1.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #43 of 55 Old 08-24-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

even some of the big boys from what big Dan has said on the lounge forums.

Who is "big Dan"? Dan Miller? If so, where has he landed?

Mike Miles

post #44 of 55 Old 08-24-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

Who is "big Dan"? Dan Miller? If so, where has he landed?

Big Dan Laufman is the CEO of Jade designs/Emotiva. He and his staff post on the lounge forums.

post #45 of 55 Old 08-24-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I believe Emotivas first amp was the LPA-1.
Bill
I wasn't sure which came out first but from the looks of it, they were very close as the mps-1 had the old style emo look and the lap-1 has the newer look. The MPS-1 came out in 2004-2005 and was available on av123 when they still had their partnership, the lpa-1 looks to be out close to the same time. You could totally be right and the lpa-1 cam out first but if it did, I'm sure they were very close to together as both were available on av123 at the time.

post #46 of 55 Old 08-24-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

I wasn't sure which came out first but from the looks of it, they were very close as the mps-1 had the old style emo look and the lap-1 has the newer look. The MPS-1 came out in 2004-2005 and was available on av123 when they still had their partnership, the lpa-1 looks to be out close to the same time. You could totally be right and the lpa-1 cam out first but if it did, I'm sure they were very close to together as both were available on av123 at the time.

N8DOGG,

The MPS-1 could have been their first amp but for some reason I thought it was the LPA-1. Either way I believe you are correct in that they were both released around the same time. The LPA-1 was the first external amp I ever bought and it was through av123.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #47 of 55 Old 08-24-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, like me, DL is a fair sized fellar.

Mike Miles

post #48 of 55 Old 08-24-2012, 08:25 PM

http://avforum.no/forum/attachments/produkt-prisjakt-audio/45046d1233399427-emotiva-audio-pristrad-amps.pdf

This is a comparison chart for the first series of Emo amps.

The MPS-1 would have been the first or second multi-channel, and it is the one that shares DNA with the Carver Digital amp. At the time the Carver amp was being developed, Dan Laufman had come into ownership of a Chinese supplier that was being used to develop the Digital line for Carver. When Carver folded their tent in the home audio arena, Dan had this wonderful amp, and some tech that was ahead of the curve in a multi-channel amp. It is believed that he renamed this amp, and with a few cosmetic changes, Emotiva was born. It was the most expensive and best built Emo amp IMHO. The best sounding too.

Sunfire was launched a year or so later with the Tracking Downconverter designs, and B&O picked up on the "card-amp" concept, which became ICE power.

I could be off somewhat, but that is my understanding of how things played out. If somebody has further information, that would be cool to learn.
post #49 of 55 Old 08-24-2012, 08:46 PM

Liked: 42
IMO the current line of Emotiva amps doesn't compare to these early models. I think the RPA line were pretty decent too.
post #50 of 55 Old 08-25-2012, 04:08 AM

Liked: 18
I have had the mps-1 and ips-1 and both were a step up in build quality to the current amps but they also cost quite a bit more.
post #51 of 55 Old 08-25-2012, 05:52 AM

Yup, ol' Dan decided to market entry level amps instead and have his fanboys declare that they just as good as anything out there. I guess you can fool some of the people some of the time.
post #52 of 55 Old 08-26-2012, 04:34 PM

Liked: 18
I really dont blame them for the way they have done their product line. I have had 2 each of the upa-7,lpa-1,and xpa-5s as well and found them to very good amps for the money. I look at their amps like the $400-500 range reciever as you reach a point of diminished returns after a point. There are lots of better amps out there but most are much more expensive and really offer small increases in performance for the extra money spent.
post #53 of 55 Old 08-26-2012, 05:31 PM

I've had a few of their products myself, an XPA-3 amp, cd player and DAC. I had decided to piece together a higher end 2 channel system and tried all of my Emo components with a pair of top line Paradigm Signature speakers. The sound was somewhat sterile and bright with a harshness at higher volumes. I tried an Oppo 95 instead of the cd and DAC and gained some improvement, but it was still harsh sounding at high volumes. Finally I tried out a Parasound A21 amp and the harshness was gone. I don't know why I had bad luck with their stuff, but I'm happier with what I have now. For me, they downgraded to more entry level amps when I was going the other way. I'm sure they are successful, but I really am not interested in anything they have right now, yet if the XMC turns out to be a success, I'd be interested down the road. Parasound has made a believer out of me, though.
post #54 of 55 Old 08-26-2012, 10:38 PM

Liked: 17
Emotiva did just come out with their higher end XPR line and they're a pretty tremendous value for the money (when comparing their specs to other amps.) I experience no harshness with the sound at all and no hiss, everything's super smooth, transparent, and drives the speakers effortlessly (that's 600wpc at 4ohms.) The XPR-1 and 2 are to come this fall. I did endless amounts of research before purchasing an external amp and was almost decided on Outlaw, and even considered used Parasounds or Anthems. I have to say i'm very satisfied I went with the XPR-5. That extra $ saved went to a second SubMersive subwoofer.

Only a few quibbles I had:
1. The amp gets pretty hot to the touch.
2. I received a damaged XPR-5 the first time around, due to shoddy packaging. Me and a few other users brought up the issue on their forums and Emotiva stated that they're going to revise their packaging. Hopefully they follow through for future XPR owners.

Anyways, audio brand biases aside, I heartily recommend it for anybody that's looking to drive power hungry speakers and wants more than ample headroom.
post #55 of 55 Old 08-27-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopaddiction View Post

Emotiva did just come out with their higher end XPR line and they're a pretty tremendous value for the money (when comparing their specs to other amps.) I experience no harshness with the sound at all and no hiss, everything's super smooth, transparent, and drives the speakers effortlessly (that's 600wpc at 4ohms.) The XPR-1 and 2 are to come this fall. I did endless amounts of research before purchasing an external amp and was almost decided on Outlaw, and even considered used Parasounds or Anthems. I have to say i'm very satisfied I went with the XPR-5. That extra $ saved went to a second SubMersive subwoofer.
Only a few quibbles I had:
1. The amp gets pretty hot to the touch.
2. I received a damaged XPR-5 the first time around, due to shoddy packaging. Me and a few other users brought up the issue on their forums and Emotiva stated that they're going to revise their packaging. Hopefully they follow through for future XPR owners.
Anyways, audio brand biases aside, I heartily recommend it for anybody that's looking to drive power hungry speakers and wants more than ample headroom.

The XPA series gets pretty hot when run hard as well. An easy solution is a low speed/low noise computer fan laying on top of the unit pulling hot air out, tied to an inexpensive thermal controller.

Makes a huge difference in the temperature of the unit under long term load.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page