Carver Statement amplifiers... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-14-2012, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

THese amps were a DIY build done over a period of two years. The black portions of the amps are polished and water-jetted granite. Mr. Carver was kind enough to assist in the final building and testing of them and they sound even better than they look.biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-15-2012, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Very cool!! I use to own some of the old Carver Audio stuff like the CT 17 and a few of the TFM amps. I miss those days. I always wanted the Amazing Loudspeaker but bought the Kappa 9s. Is he with Sunfire still?
post #3 of 6 Old 08-15-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Those pics of Bob Carver make me feel old (I remember him looking so much younger)!
post #4 of 6 Old 08-15-2012, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yep... Bob, (and everybody else for that matter) ain't getting any younger, but he is still as much a wizard as he ever was. Bob has a new company the builds Tube Amps like mine, but nowhere near as pretty.tongue.gif He sold Sunfire back in 2005 and left the company completely a few years ago. Now he just spends his days at the bench and builds one-off amps, and designs speakers for fun and profit, but mostly for fun.smile.gif
post #5 of 6 Old 08-18-2012, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Your amps are very good looking, much nicer than anything I've ever built aesthetically, but I don't care much about appearance in my gear.

I am slightly envious of you getting to meet Bob Carver as I've respected him as an engineer for decades, especially for the Stereophool challenge. I would love to speak with him about amp design as I've been working with and designing linear electronics most of my life, both professionally and as a hobbyist.

I did a bit of googling and found this article on his site. I laughed all the way through it as it reflects a similar approach to the last set of tube amps I designed and built, especially the nested feedback loops, some using grid to plate feedback between stages and about how the 12AX7 (and it's ugly step sister the 12AU7 - my additional comment) are rubbish for high fidelity audio and U/L has never been my preferred choice of output stage topology. Prof Cherry taught me about nested NFB in 1980 and when I showed an old engineer I worked under the plate to grid feedback a few years later, he laughed and said "Hegeman did that in 59, son". Both work a treat when applied correctly, but seem to be beyond the ability of current designers, or more likely design amps to whatever the current trend or fashion in design is, such as SET. Good to see solid engineering is still in use in some circles. Nice to see a lack of name brand boutiquey parts in your amp too.
I'd love to see a schematic of your amp, but I expect it's proprietary.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-18-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The russian Voskhods 12AX tubes seem intresting. I'd be intrested how the would work in my ARC SP-16.smile.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page