First Home Audio purchase. Need help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-14-2012, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So im totally new to the Audio side of things. Been pretty much a lurker on the Video side of the island. So its time for me to get an audio system. Been reading ALOT! over the past few weeks trying to absorb it all, and i have narrowed my choices down to a few receivers. I was at first was just going to get a HTIB setup, but decided to buy the Receiver and speakers separate, because it seems like the better idea. I have a 65VT50, Oppo BD93, HR24 HD-DVR, 360, and PS3 that i will all be hooking up. Also have Senn HD598s don't know if that makes a difference or not. I would like to hook the video portion of the bd93 straight to the TV so the oppo is doing all the video processing, and just have the AVR do the audio. My receivers that are on my list are.

Denon 2312ci (one i think im going to get, and pretty stoked about)
Denon 2112ci
Yamaha RX-V573

I have apple products, so airplay would be nice. Are there any more receivers i should be looking at. Don't want to spend more then $600 on the receiver. Would really appreciate any input you guys have.

the Room its going in:
Its a long rectangle, So its probably about 14ft from the wall the TV is on to the Wall the sofa is on. and Its probably about 24ft long. The wall the TV is on is sorta a floating Wall, with openings on both side. so that wall is only about 10ft long. The setup is in the middle of the room, So mounting speakers directly to the right and left of me on the sofa isnt very doable So i can really only do speakers behind me and in front of me. If that makes sense. so a 5.1 setup for now, but it all could change, and i might change up my Setup to make it able to 7.1

Speakers I just started looking into, but it seems people have liked the Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System. Speakers i will probably upgrade down the road, so they will probably be the weakest part of my setup probably. Dont want to spend more then $400 on them atm

Theater Room: 65ZT60, Denon 2313CI, Oppo 103D, Apple TV, Logitech Harmony Ultimate
Bedroom: 65VT50, Sony S790, Harmony Smart Control
Game Room: Upcoming Purchases - 4K TV (Sony 65X950B or Reference Series Vizio, Sony FMP-X10) Already Have - OPPO 103D, Harmony Ultimate, Apple TV, 24 gaming systems ready to be hooked up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-15-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Speakers are the most important part of your audio experience and you should really start there. The speaker will determine which preamp/amp you should look at.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-15-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

Speakers are the most important part of your audio experience and you should really start there. The speaker will determine which preamp/amp you should look at.

Correct in the first part, not as much in the second. Unless you are buying speakers that can't be driven easily by all receivers (e.g. 4-ohm speakers), it really doesn't matter what receiver you get. Matching "receiver sound" to "speaker sound" is an old, baseless myth. Buy based on features. The Denon 2112 and 2312 offer great features for the price, but whether they're right for you depends on which features you want. Have you checked out the Denon "xx12" and/or "xx13" model threads to compare the features? What attracts you to the 2112/2312?

"Vintage" is good for wine, not for A/V equipment.

-Dan D.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-15-2012, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

There are a few things I like about the denons, one being the good selection of HDMI ports. I will have a good amount of devices hooked up to it, so the more slots, the better. I have heard good things about Dennon, and also Yamaha AVRs so thats were i started to look. I did check out the threads, and the things the XX13 series added don't seem like i would use them really. So that is why i stuck to the 2312ci . The only thing I notice that makes me hesitant is that the 2312 Doesn't do Audyssey DSX. Now I don't know if I would end up using that feature, but it sounds intriguing, and when i step up to 7.1 eventually, I think i would like the idea of the extra 2 Wide speakers. So that really is my only hesitation right now on the 2312ci. Like i said i dont know a plethora of knowledge when it comes to AVRs so that is why im reaching out to you guys, to get informed and to help me with my first purchase.

I also recently have been looking at the Onkyo TX-NR709 as well. Seems to Offer pretty much everything the Denon does except airplay, which sucks, but if its a better product then im fine living without it. But it really has intrigued me as of late, and is a serious contender now

So How would you guys rate the 2312ci / TX-NR709 / V573? any help would be appreciated

EDIT: I am going to have an apple TV hooked up to the AVR and TV, So wouldnt that make the airplay feature not needed on the AVR as much as i can just use the apple TV as my airplay device, and have the AVR do all the audio?

It seems like DSX would be a better feature to have then Airplay, right?

Theater Room: 65ZT60, Denon 2313CI, Oppo 103D, Apple TV, Logitech Harmony Ultimate
Game Room: Upcoming Purchases - 4K TV (Sony 65X950B or Reference Series Vizio, Sony FMP-X10) Already Have - OPPO 103D, Harmony Ultimate, Apple TV, 24 gaming systems ready to be hooked up.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-15-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes, personally I think you have several devices better than any receiver for internet/network sources. Personally, I use my PS3 for most of that stuff.

I think the 2312ci is a very good choice. I have an older Denon 2808 that I am still extremely happy with. The 23xx misses a few things that the 28xx had such as preouts, but it's still a good machine and can be found for a great price from Accessories4Less.

Personally I am not an Onkyo fan. Their reliability seems to be lower than Denon. But I'm not claiming that if you buy Onkyo, you're going to spend half your time at the repair shop. Just something I have gathered. Both Denon and Onkyo are feature leaders and Onkyo does have a fair number of fans on this board too. I would recommend avoiding any Onkyo with Audyssey 2EQ, though, just because it is so low-end compared to even MultEQ, let alone MultEQ XT. Denon skips the 2EQ and includes MultEQ and up. On a similar note, I like pretty much everything about Yamaha except that they use their own inferior room correction instead of Audyssey. Same story with Pioneer's MCACC. Like their stuff otherwise, but MCACC just doesn't do it for me. The NR-709 does have MultEQ XT, by the way. I'm sure it'd be a fine receiver too, but I'd still buy a Denon myself.

"Vintage" is good for wine, not for A/V equipment.

-Dan D.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-15-2012, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Ya the only knock against the Onkyo i can see is that It seems that people have had problems with them. I do see some reports of people having issues, and them being less reliable. That and they seem to run hot is what i have read. That really is the only con i can see on the onkyo.

On paper it seems the Onkyo is a better AVR then the Denon. Damn these choices.

I do see that 2312ci uses Dolby Prologic IIz which allows you to put 2 front speakers instead of wide speakers or two top speakers like the Audyssey DSX allows. What do people normally use more, To front high set speakers for 7.1 or 2 Extra wide speakers 7.1. I guess that could be a factor two.

Damn if only onkyo didnt have reliability problems, it just seems like the better AVR on paper.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page