Using an AVR without surround speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-15-2012, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
What happens to the mix of--to use the simplest example--5.1-channel sound if I tell my AVR that the surrounds aren't present? Does the receiver integrate the surround channels into the front channels, or does it just disregard the surround channels altogether?

I have a Yamaha RX-V473 but anyone with knowledge of how their AVR behaves is welcome to chime in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-15-2012, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
It would be no different than if you had the source plugged into a old school 2 channel receiver. It will sound the same. With today's modern receivers that use Audyssey or type of computerized system, will lock out any channels not in use and turn off any type of Surround sound features.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-15-2012, 10:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
The sound originally designated for the surrounds will be sent to the front speakers.

You wont lose any content.

Afro GT
post #4 of 8 Old 08-16-2012, 05:44 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked: 1745
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

What happens to the mix of--to use the simplest example--5.1-channel sound if I tell my AVR that the surrounds aren't present? Does the receiver integrate the surround channels into the front channels, or does it just disregard the surround channels altogether?

The former ... the AVR will downmix the audio to whatever speakers are present regardless of whether 2.0, 2.1, 3.0, 3.1, 4.0, 4.1.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 8 Old 08-16-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The former ... the AVR will downmix the audio to whatever speakers are present regardless of whether 2.0, 2.1, 3.0, 3.1, 4.0, 4.1.

Yeah, as long as you set it up such that the missing speakers are marked as such. It's possible to design an amplifier that is unstable (to the point of burning up) without a load, but any modern receiver/amp won't have that problem, at least. Not sure if they actually sold old audio gear with that trait or not (just that it's possible to build it).

"Vintage" is good for wine, not for A/V equipment.

-Dan D.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-16-2012, 09:54 AM

Liked: 10
This question may sound silly but I'm in the learning stage of things but is there an AVR that will send the unused power to the fronts when in 2.1?
post #7 of 8 Old 08-16-2012, 10:18 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked: 1745
Any AVR will do that as there's generally only one power supply so the fewer speakers connected means more total power is available to them.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8 of 8 Old 08-16-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tod2548 View Post

This question may sound silly but I'm in the learning stage of things but is there an AVR that will send the unused power to the fronts when in 2.1?

Actually depends on the AVR many have seprate amps or use two, three five or seven amp sections. Most have a dedicated amp for the frount channels so there would be no power difference but if iti s a cheap AVR it will not tax the power supply as much and may sond better. But this is really a specific question.

Jason
Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.

Jason@programmergeek.com

908 578-6466

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors