Onkyo Surround Cutoff - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-16-2012, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I came across an old Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver and I'm having trouble with my surround left/right not playing anything at low and mid volumes. I have a 5.1 setup, and there is no sound out of them at all until I crank the volume up, at which point they seem to work fine (but it is too loud for everyday listening levels). I've gone into the individual speaker setup to balance levels, and there is no white noise (which the system plays for the user to balance) from the surrounds until I turn them up to something like +10dB, at which point they turn on and loudly play the white noise. Once they have "kicked in", I can turn the dB level back down to 0 and they work... for a little while. Usually after a minute or two, they stop playing sound again.

I can repeat the above procedure every time, so it seems the surround aren't "kicking in" until I turn the volume way up and/or individually adjust the level up for them.

I know the speakers and wires are fine, as I just moved them from another Onkyo receiver, the similar SR-500.

Does anyone have any clues as to why this might be happening?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-16-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Wires all good and connections tight? Is the problem input independent? Sounds like a weak solder joint to me otherwise. Takes a certain amount of voltage to overcome the increased resistance. It's not the only possibility but that's what came to mind.

"Vintage" is good for wine, not for A/V equipment.

-Dan D.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-16-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

I think it is input independent, because it exhibits the same behavior for watching TV (connected via digital coax) or with the cable box off and running the receiver's speaker balancing setup. I'll see what a blu-ray does this evening.

Thanks.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-16-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Tried it with the blu ray player this evening and same result... when I play it at a comfortable volume there is no sound from both left and right surround speakers. I can crank it up, and then sound suddenly "kicks in", at which point I can back it down to a lower level and the speakers will continue playing sound normally. Within a few minutes, they stop playing.

If it is a weak solder joint, can I test somehow with a multimeter? Is that possible given that both back surround channels exhibit the same behavior?

I also tried resetting the processor as specified in the manual with no luck.

Thanks for your help.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-17-2012, 12:56 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
Liked: 1598
Did you try swapping the SL/SR speakers with the FL/FR speakers to see if the same issue results with the FL/FR speakers and that the SL/SR speakers now work as they should?

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 6 Old 08-20-2012, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

When I switch it so the surround left/right are plugged into the front left/right connections they do indeed work. I used some compressed air to try and clean out the connection ports for the surrounds, and it seems like they are working more consistently without having to crank the volume and then reduce to appropriate levels. Can I clean these out more thoroughly with some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip to see if that helps? It seems, as DonoMan suggests, that there is some sort of weak connection that is being temporarily overcome when I put more power to it.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page