$525 alternative to RX-A1020? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-16-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I have a bit of a strange budget for a new receiver. I have the opportunity to order a new Yamaha RX-A1020 receiver for around $525. I'm not a big fan of the Yamaha YPAO calibration but for the price I can get past it. My question for all of you who are much more knowledgeable than I am, is there a better option for $525? The key features I'm looking for are HD radio and phono input. 4K and airplay are nice, but really not necessary.

My set-up right now is an LG 50PZ950, Def Tech SM65's for fronts, Def Tech SuperCube II subwoofer, Xfinity HD cable, and PS3 slim. Over the next year or so I will be slowly adding more components until I reach a full 7.1

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-16-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Pardon my ignorance, but what is Tinnov? Also, it looks like the R-972 doesn't have a phono input and it didn't mention anythign about an HD radio tuner, though it's quite possible that the website just didn't bring attention to it. For those who know about the R-972, how would the video upconversion be in comparison to either the AVR-3312 or RX-A1020?

I've looked at the 3312 before and have been considering it as well. Network connectivity isn't high on my priority list, or on it realy at all. Do you think it would sound better than the Sherwood or Yamaha?
post #3 of 4 Old 10-11-2012, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For that price the 1020 owns the competition.

YPAO might no be the best, but at that price the only thing you might find is Multi-EQ2 or other very basic forms of correction.

Or buy it, resell it for a closer price to MSRP and then you can buy a a $1000-1300 AVR of your favorite brand biggrin.gif
post #4 of 4 Old 10-12-2012, 05:38 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
A turntable can be connected to an AVR without a phono input by purchasing a phono pre-amp ($50-$100) which would enable you to go with a lower level model. Also note that the HD radio feature is being dropped in favor of internet radio which offers far more options so you may want to consider a networking model over HD radio. Additionally, unless you are fairly close to the radio station broadcasting in "digital" mode, the HD radio will defer to the "analog" signal instead if it is stronger.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A1020 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page