AVS Forum banner

Help with Onkyo 12v trigger

29K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  rfb6435 
#1 ·
So I have a onkyo 709, and I just got a 2 channel emotiva amp to power my fronts. I used the 3.5mm cable that came with the emotiva amp. Hooked it up on the onkyo ri remote control jack and ran it to the ir input on the amp. Both units power off just like there suppost too, but when I turn on the onkyo the emotiva amp quickly turns on than off. Any Ideas why that is?

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badblue6  /t/1424957/help-with-onkyo-12v-trigger#post_22313807

So I have a onkyo 709, and I just got a 2 channel emotiva amp to power my fronts. I used the 3.5mm cable that came with the emotiva amp. Hooked it up on the onkyo ri remote control jack and ran it to the ir input on the amp. Both units power off just like there suppost too, but when I turn on the onkyo the emotiva amp quickly turns on than off. Any Ideas why that is?

As Socketman pointed out you are using the wrong jack. The downside of the 12V trigger outputs on Onkyo AVRs is that they are only for Zone2. So you have to find a work around to power up Zone2 when you use the Main Zone. It is possible to do with a Harmony remote which I used when I had my Onkyo 805. I'm still amazed that Onkyo still does this with their AVRs with preouts

Bill

#5 ·
I see the Zone 2 trigger, the problem is I actually have zone 2 outdoor speakers, powered by my onkyo. So I would be turning those on in the process, and if the outdoor speakers come on, I lose my front height speakers. Is there any other way? Do they make something that pugs into the amps 12v trigger and accepts a remote control signal to turn it off and on?

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1424957/help-with-onkyo-12v-trigger#post_22315003

You may want to consider using a smart strip with 12v trigger such as this --> http://www.amazon.com/Bits-Limited-Energy-Saving-Sensing/dp/B0051BUPAS

This didn't work for me because when the strip turns on the EMO amp, it start up in standby mode. I use an onkyo and set up my remote to also power on zone 2, but that too looks like a problem for OP. Obviously it does not have zone3 or you would be doing that already huh?

#9 ·
It looks like the only alternative will be to power up the amp every time the system is used. Onkyo and their useless 12V AVR trigger issue strikes again

Bill

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1424957/help-with-onkyo-12v-trigger#post_22315208

Correct. The XPA-2 power switch must be left in the "ON" position at all times, and will be in reduced power "Standby" mode when the AVR is powered off.

Have you done this with an EMO? There is not a switch per say, but a button. I tried and never got it to work.

#11 ·
No, rather simply reading the info described in EMOTIVA's own 12v trigger switch (ET-3 ) Owner's manual which indicates leaving the power switch on the back panel set to ON and then the 12v trigger would turn the amp to either ON or Standby mode. If that doesn't work, the LEG3 smart switch I linked to should have a voltage adjustment capability to make the amp function properly.
Quote:
The LEG3 Smart Strip will activate with an external voltage control signal which ranges from 4 to 24 volts.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1424957/help-with-onkyo-12v-trigger#post_22315295

No, rather simply reading the info described in EMOTIVA's own 12v trigger switch (ET-3 ) Owner's manual which indicates leaving the power switch on the back panel set to ON and then the 12v trigger would turn the amp to either ON or Standby mode. If that doesn't work, the LEG3 smart switch I linked to should have a voltage adjustment capability to make the amp function properly.

This doesn't look like it will really help the OP with his problem of the AVR lacking a main power on trigger.

The Leg 3 will turn on its switched outlets either when it senses a 12V trigger signal coming in or when it senses a device plugged into its sensing outlet being turned on but I don't think it will give you a 12V out signal.

One solution is to use a 12V wallwart plugged into the Smartstrip's switched outlet to provide the 12V trigger signal that is needed for the power amp.

#19 ·
My apologies for beating a horse that has long since been dead
. But all this work and added expense due to the Onkyo's botched 12V trigger setup. I'm a fan of Onkyo products having owned the 805, 885 and 886. So I'm not an Onkyo hater just still amazed they can't implement a normal 12V trigger setup with their AVRs. It seems that every other AVR manufacturer gets it right.

Bill

#20 ·
Perhaps its arogance - their amps are the best ,nothing more needed. Ignorance - whoops didn't know our amps did that? Insolence - screw u figure it out for yourself.

Indifference - whatever ,we gave u preouts.

Glad i bought my denon ,since i did not anticipate an amp with preouts actually would not come with a 12v trigger. My condolenses to the OP

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socketman  /t/1424957/help-with-onkyo-12v-trigger#post_22318873

Quote:
Perhaps its arogance - their amps are the best ,nothing more needed. Ignorance - whoops didn't know our amps did that? Insolence - screw u figure it out for yourself. Indifference - whatever ,we gave u preouts.

You could be right on all accounts

On a positive note there have been some excellent suggestions from members here on how the OP can trigger his amp.

Bill

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adabro  /t/1424957/help-with-onkyo-12v-trigger#post_22318937

I have the 807 and the XPA-3.

I bought The Harmony One remote and programmed it to turn on Zone 2 when the Onkyo comes up and and then shut it down again when I turn 807 off.

Works very well - but you have to buy the Harmony One of course.....

The op already is using zone 2 so this turns on his outdoor speakers.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac  /t/1424957/help-with-onkyo-12v-trigger#post_22318855

My apologies for beating a horse that has long since been dead
. But all this work and added expense due to the Onkyo's botched 12V trigger setup. I'm a fan of Onkyo products having owned the 805, 885 and 886. So I'm not an Onkyo hater just still amazed they can't implement a normal 12V trigger setup with their AVRs. It seems that every other AVR manufacturer gets it right.

Bill

I think it is done deliberately to get you to buy more expensive Integra products. Here is a cut and paste email reply from Onkyo when I asked them about a "work around" for this problem:

My email to them;

Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2012 7:20 PM

To: ONKYOUSA, Onkyo Admin

Subject: TX-NR1009 related question from Onkyo website

Message from:

Name: Kent xxxxxxx

Address: xxxxxxxxxxx

City: xxxxx

State: xxxxx

Zip: xxxxxxxx

Email: xxxxxxxxxx

Phone: xxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: feedback_form.cfm?cat=Receiver

Model: TX-NR1009

Serial: N/A

Comments: You've got several AVR's I'm interested in. The problem is that each of them only has a 12V trigger for rooms/zones 2 and 3. I need a 12V trigger to turn on my power amp when I am using the receiver. I won't even have a zone 2 or 3. Is there a way I could buy one of your receiver's (TX-NR1009 or 3009) and use it in this way? Can I program my Harmony remote to turn on zone 2 everytime the receiver comes on so it would trigger my power amp? I would still need all 9 channels available in room one for all the DTS neo X channels. WIll this work? Thanks, Kent

Their reply;

Hello Kent:

Unfortunately; only all Integra line of receivers have this compability to utlize the 12v trigger for the main zone as well as use for the other zones as well. None of our Onkyo units have this capability for the main zone. Please contact your local authorized Integra dealer (listed below) for pricing and further information for the following models:

Integra DTR 50.3

Integra DTR 70.3

Integra DTR 80.3

Integra DHC 40.3 (pre-amp)

Integra DHC 80.3 (pre-amp)

Integra DTR 50.4

Integra DTR 70.4

Thank you for contacting Onkyo and Integra USA Product Support, if you need further assistance feel free to call us at:

Onkyo Product Support: 800-229-1687

Integra Product Support: 800-225-1946

Product Support Team Hours of Operation:

Monday thru Friday 9am to 8pm EST

Saturday & Sunday 10am to 4pm EST

Or visit our websites at integrahometheater.com, onkyousa.com or shoponkyo.com for product information, purchasing new and refurbished products, catalogues, hookup diagrams, authorized service & sales center locations, and warranty information.

If you need to contact our Parts and Service, Orders and/or Credit Department for Onkyo Products, please call 201-785-2600.

If you need to contact our Parts, Customer Relations, Orders and/or Credit Department for Integra Products, please call 201-818-9200.

Parts and Service, Orders and Credit Department Hours of Operation:

Monday thru Friday 9am to 5pm EST

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adabro  /t/1424957/help-with-onkyo-12v-trigger#post_22318937

I have the 807 and the XPA-3.

I bought The Harmony One remote and programmed it to turn on Zone 2 when the Onkyo comes up and and then shut it down again when I turn 807 off.

Works very well - but you have to buy the Harmony One of course.....

I'm wondering how you got this to work. Did you go the macro route, and if so please provide additional specifics on what you did. Otherwise I think the only way to get this done is to have Logitech support manually add the Zone 2 power command to your account.

#26 ·
For those looking to turn on your amp remotely, and don't have a universal remote like a Harmony, here is a simple way to do it:

I connected the Outlaw Model 7500 I have to the zone tree trigger. All I do is turn on the receiver through the supplied remote, then hit zone button 2x so it is in zone 3 mode, then hit the power button. Now my receiver and amp turn on right from the Onkyo remote. After a couple of days, it takes literally 2-3 seconds to do this. Same applies to turn off the amp.

Now, this will only work if you do not a zone 3 amp already connect. Same applies to zone 2. I use my receiver's amp to power my yard speakers (my zone 2), so I went with zone 3 trigger for my main speakers' amp. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.