Is there any Audio Processor that can convert Analog Stereo (2 channel) to 2.1 other than Parasound P7? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-17-2012, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm looking for an audio processor that can convert a two channel stereo analog to 2.1.

Other than Parasound P7 which is only an analog pass through unit, is there another processor that can do that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Any modern audio/video receiver or pre/pro can do what you describe. They work as well for stereo sources as for multichannel sources. If you're looking for a receiver or pre/pro that is limited to stereo inputs, they're less common.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Old 08-17-2012, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Any modern audio/video receiver or pre/pro can do what you describe. They work as well for stereo sources as for multichannel sources. If you're looking for a receiver or pre/pro that is limited to stereo inputs, they're less common.

I keep checking the manuals of different audio pre/pros (not receivers) but I cannot find one. The closest I found was Nuforce AVP-16/17. But even that, does not give me the option for bass management on two channel analog (converting it to 2.1 channel) coming from Oppo 95.

The manual says:
" The subwoofer is always enabled. For non-LFE encoded sources such as analog signal, or CD (S/PDIF), the subwoofer generates its signal based on the current crossover frequency; LEFT AND RIGHT CHANNELS REMAIN FULL RANGE."

I'm looking for a processor that would let me set my front speakers to "Small" and still be able to apply bass management to the analog steereo signal coming from Oppo-95. Since Oppo does not convert a two channel to 2.1.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 495
You haven't mentioned if you're limiting your choices to two-channel processors.
Also, what's your price range?

Some of the quality multichannel pre/pros I'm aware of are the Marantz AV7005 (soon to be replaced by AV7701 and AV8801) and the Integra DHC 80.3 (there's an Onkyo equivalent, but I can't remember its model number). They list at about $2K-$2500 but are readily available for less. McIntosh and Arcam make some, too, but at substantially higher prices.

Of course, the receiver proponents reasonably claim that you can get equal audio quality with any modern receiver, but there are other reasons for selecting a pre/pro instead.

Edited to add:
All modern pre/pros apply 2.0 -> 2.1 processing in the digital domain. In other words, while you can use analog connections, they'll digitize them again. In most cases this won't really make any audible difference (unless something is broken), but many people are unhappy about this. If you feel strongly about doing bass management in the analog domain, you'll probably have to consider buying pre-owned pre-HDMI equipment. The Marantz AV9000, for example, could do it, but only for a fixed 80Hz crossover.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Old 08-17-2012, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You haven't mentioned if you're limiting your choices to two-channel processors.
Some of the quality multichannel pre/pros I'm aware of are the Marantz AV7005 (soon to be replaced by AV7701 and AV8801) and the Integra DHC 80.3 (there's an Onkyo equivalent, but I can't remember its model number). They list at about $2K-$2500 but are readily available for less. McIntosh and Arcam make some, too, but at substantially higher prices.
Of course, the receiver proponents reasonably claim that you can get equal audio quality with any modern receiver, but there are other reasons for selecting a pre/pro instead.

Maximum $3000 (either used or new). I'm looking for a multi-channel processor. I'd like to let the Oppo decodes movies (multi-channel) and music CD (two-channel). Then The Oppo will send the analog signal to the processor (multi-channel RCA) for movies and for music (two channel RCA). But I'm looking for a processor that has a bass management feature for the two channel.

I'm going to check the manual for marantz and Integra but I really doubt that they offer this option. The only one I'm sure of, is Parasound P7. It receives a two channel analog signal and you have a choice of 50Hz, 80Hz or none (full range).
Old 08-17-2012, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post

Maximum $3000 (either used or new). I'm looking for a multi-channel processor. I'd like to let the Oppo decodes movies (multi-channel) and music CD (two-channel). Then The Oppo will send the analog signal to the processor (multi-channel RCA) for movies and for music (two channel RCA). But I'm looking for a processor that has a bass management feature for the two channel.
I'm going to check the manual for marantz and Integra but I really doubt that they offer this option. The only one I'm sure of, is Parasound P7. It receives a two channel analog signal and you have a choice of 50Hz, 80Hz or none (full range).

I also don't care about either HDMI or room correction (I'd rather not to have those).
Old 08-17-2012, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Edited to add:
All modern pre/pros apply 2.0 -> 2.1 processing in the digital domain. In other words, while you can use analog connections, they'll digitize them again. In most cases this won't really make any audible difference (unless something is broken), but many people are unhappy about this. If you feel strongly about doing bass management in the analog domain, you'll probably have to consider buying pre-owned pre-HDMI equipment. The Marantz AV9000, for example, could do it, but only for a fixed 80Hz crossover.

You're correct. I just checked marantz 7005. It has that feature. Thanks again for directions.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

I read the marantz manual again. But it only does the bass management on the digital input not on the analog input. In pure Direct Mode it doesn't apply the management to the signal.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Try a Sunfire TGP-401.

http://www.sunfire.com/manuals/Sunfire_TGP_401%20Owners_Manual_RevA4.pdf

Page 41 of the manual says it will do what you are looking for. You should be able to find them new at a great price as they have been discontinued.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post

Try a Sunfire TGP-401.
http://www.sunfire.com/manuals/Sunfire_TGP_401%20Owners_Manual_RevA4.pdf
Page 41 of the manual says it will do what you are looking for. You should be able to find them new at a great price as they have been discontinued.

Yes. This is exactly what I need. I've to look for it now.

Thank you.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The older TGP 5 is exactly the same, and priced about a grand on the used market. That way you have money left to spend on something else.cool.gif