Need advice!!!.... Onkyo TX-NR616 or Denon AVR-2312ci... Compare!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 08-17-2012, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, I have been away from this hobby for some time and it has been a while since my last post. I don't know if someone asked this exact thing with these models, so I hope you forgive me if it is repeated. This time, I need your expert advice (preferably by those who have had tested both units) on which receiver to buy. I'm MOSTLY interested in sound quality for HOME THEATER application. I know speakers are the most important thing but I also know that it is of great importance where the signal comes from and how it has been processed. I am mostly looking for those who know both units by experience (not only by specifications). I have been using the following link as guide:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/CompareTo.aspx?compareItems=01%7C580TXN616&compareItems=01%7C033AV2312C&g=10420&stop_mobi=yes

At first, I was going Onkyo's way, but then I heard about other options like Denon's AVR-2312CI receiver and that is what brought me to that link so I could compare the two side by side. But of course, that is what their makers put on paper. I know the NR616 has THX (which I do not consider to be a big factor) and 2EQ calibration. The 2312CI does not have THX, but has a more advanced calibration with MultiEQ XT. Both units have almost the same power (watts per channel). Other thing is that I do not need more than 3 HDMI's as I prefer to connect my video sources directly to my display. In fact, I don't really care much about all those network utilities on both units but it is a nice thing to have just in case. By the way, according to the chart on that link, I see them pretty close on their connections. And they even support almost the same audio formats, so I should be fine with that too. There are no preamp outputs on neither, (which would have been a big plus) but they are even in that area. Well, on papers, they seem pretty close all around. Onkyo gives a warranty of 2 years, while Denon gives 3 (a plus for Denon). The only thing that scares me is the issues I have been hearing about Onkyo's reliability for the past few years but most of them have been about those HDMI connectors which I don't think I will use any time soon. So I guess that is one issue out of the way.

So, lets assume we have the same speaker system and we are in the same room/conditions to make it fair.

What would you consider to be the result???. Remember I'm mostly interested on sound quality and surround reproduction for movies. I will greatly appreciate your help!!!

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-19-2012, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone care to assist me???.. I know there are many experts on this field.
post #3 of 20 Old 08-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Even thou I am a big Onkyo fan I would say the Dennon 2312 would be a much better performer as it has the MultiEQ XT. I am def. NO expert but I thought I would just give my own opinion is all.
post #4 of 20 Old 08-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOMV View Post

Anyone care to assist me???.. I know there are many experts on this field.

Denon between those two. Hands down.

butter and jelly please.
post #5 of 20 Old 08-19-2012, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys!!
post #6 of 20 Old 08-21-2012, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Just placed the order on Crutchfield. I've read many reviews made by Home Theater reviews, Audioholics, Cnet, Sound and Vision and many more and they all praised its performance accuracy and sound quality. I can't wait to see what MultiEQ XT can do. Also I have a piece of mind for 5 years. Now, I'll start looking to upgrade my speakers. Thanks to all of you!
post #7 of 20 Old 08-21-2012, 05:37 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
While waiting on your new 2312CI to arrive, be sure to review posts #3-6 in the Denon AVR-XX12 Owner's thread linked in my sig for setup and troubleshooting information. Also feel free to post in that thread if you have any further questions regarding the 2312CI.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8 of 20 Old 08-21-2012, 07:22 PM

Thanks for starting this thread. I looked at the Onkyo TX-NR606 last year, but my home theater was not quite ready. I was looking forward to this year's 616 model, and while I think it has far better features, I wonder if Onkyo got a little too aggressive on the pricing as the model seems to suffer from quality problems. I've been looking at 2312CI (while still available) and the newer 2113CI. I think I'm leaning a bit more towards the newer 2113CI.

I too don't plan on using too many of the receiver's HDMI inputs. I basically just want it for good sound - and I'll route everything directly to the TV like you JMOV. But I don't understand the 5years comment - the CI series has a 3 year warranty?
post #9 of 20 Old 08-21-2012, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

While waiting on your new 2312CI to arrive, be sure to review posts #3-6 in the Denon AVR-XX12 Owner's thread linked in my sig for setup and troubleshooting information. Also feel free to post in that thread if you have any further questions regarding the 2312CI.

Hey thanks Jdsmoothie!!!. I was hoping to hear from you in this thread. I know you are one of the strong guys about Denon. I hope this receiver is just as good as I have been reading all over the internet. Manu critics and experimented ones praised its performance. I hope I made the right choice. I will order the Primus P363 and the primus pc351 this weekend. I have seen very good ratings on those speakers when matched with the right audio sources. Any input on this?

I will read your link right now!! Thanks!!!
post #10 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monorailfan View Post

Thanks for starting this thread. I looked at the Onkyo TX-NR606 last year, but my home theater was not quite ready. I was looking forward to this year's 616 model, and while I think it has far better features, I wonder if Onkyo got a little too aggressive on the pricing as the model seems to suffer from quality problems. I've been looking at 2312CI (while still available) and the newer 2113CI. I think I'm leaning a bit more towards the newer 2113CI.
I too don't plan on using too many of the receiver's HDMI inputs. I basically just want it for good sound - and I'll route everything directly to the TV like you JMOV. But I don't understand the 5years comment - the CI series has a 3 year warranty?

Extended warranty! biggrin.gifeek.gif
post #11 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 08:50 AM
585-645-1006

If you want to save some money by returning the Extended Warranty, check with your credit card provider as some will add an extra year to the 3 year warranty for a total of 4 years (Amex does this for sure and some MC/Visa will as well).

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 20 Old 08-23-2012, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you want to save some money by returning the Extended Warranty, check with your credit card provider as some will add an extra year to the 3 year warranty for a total of 4 years (Amex does this for sure and some MC/Visa will as well).

Will do!!.. Thanks bro!
post #13 of 20 Old 08-23-2012, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Now I have a question. I have ordered the Infinity P363 Towers and the PC351 Center. Some reviewers say they are in fact 4 ohms speakers. Will this receiver (Denon AVR-2312ci) be able to handle them on 4 ohms?
post #14 of 20 Old 08-23-2012, 04:37 PM
585-645-1006

^^
This is what is known as hijacking a thread ... you have your own thread asking this very question. Additionally, speaker questions are better asked in the "Speakers" forum, not here. Thanks.

"JD" –

post #15 of 20 Old 09-14-2012, 12:12 PM

please help me to set up my denon AVR2309CI

i just brought it.....
post #16 of 20 Old 09-14-2012, 02:10 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Moved to the Denon AVR-2309 Owner's thread ---> http://www.avsforum.com/t/1054182/official-denon-avr-2309ci-889-thread/3000_100#post_22402930

"JD" –

post #17 of 20 Old 09-14-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^
This is what is known as hijacking a thread ... you have your own thread asking this very question. Additionally, speaker questions are better asked in the "Speakers" forum, not here. Thanks.
He was actually asking a question about the receiver.
post #18 of 20 Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat6366 View Post

He was actually asking a question about the receiver.

That's right!!!... I was talking about the receiver. I thought the question was clear. But nevermind, I got my question answered on another forum. rolleyes.gif

Thanks!!!
post #19 of 20 Old 02-25-2013, 09:32 PM

It depends if you actually want to USE the receiver. I ordered my 2312 a year ago and it has been in the shop 4 times! It is the 3rd or 4th Denon receiver I have had and the only one to give me trouble but it is also one of the more expensive ones I have had. Consider the Onkyo, an Integra or a Yamaha first. I can't recommend this unit due to build quality issues.
post #20 of 20 Old 02-26-2013, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
One thing that you've got to be careful about extended warranty is the date it takes effect. Does it take effect the day you purchase the device? Or after the manufacturer warranty expires? Always read the fine print!

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

Home Theater Set Up:

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr616 , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 2312ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page