Network: Works with DHCP but no longer with a static IP address - AVS Forum
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Network: Works with DHCP but no longer with a static IP address
RobH1960's Avatar RobH1960 11:14 PM 08-17-2012
Hi all,

I posted a thread a couple of months ago because I could no longer access Internet radio or Rhapsody. I called Denon. We did some troubleshooting to no avail. I returned the unit and the fix was to reset the MAC address. Somehow, maybe during transit, something else went wrong, and when I received it back it would not work at all, and I returned it, but that's another story.

This morning I received it back, and I was still unable to listen to internet radio or listen to Rhapsody. Same symptoms as when I sent it in. Since I have owned it, I have had the receiver assigned a static IP address of 192.168.1.180 with DHCP turned off. It's worked fine until recently.

Just for grins, I went back to DHCP, and voila', I all of a sudden started receiving Internet radio and was able to sign into Rhapsody. I switched back to the static IP address, and the problem reoccurred. Nothing else in my network has changed as far as I know, so I am at a loss as to why the receiver is behaving this way.

Any ideas? The main reason I prefer a static address is so that I can use the web interface without worrying about whether or not I have the same IP address as I did the day before.

Also, the directions are somewhat unclear. My router's address is 192.168.1.1. Is that what i should have in Default Gateway during static IP setup?

Thanks in advance.

bommai's Avatar bommai 11:26 PM 08-17-2012
I would highly recommend that you use dhcp. It is there for a reason, simplicity.
Kilian.ca's Avatar Kilian.ca 02:43 AM 08-18-2012
Router's IP is likely the same as Default Gateway but you can easily look up all the router's IPs using ipconfig on a PC connected to it.

IPs and routing info are stored internally so any changes need to be updated one way or another. I won't hazard any guess why the Denon is behaving like this. Sometimes routers go wrong and need a reboot.

Some routers have the option to assign a static internal IP with the MAC. The connected device still uses DHCP and gets the same IP every time. That's what I use.
RobH1960's Avatar RobH1960 11:25 AM 08-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

Router's IP is likely the same as Default Gateway but you can easily look up all the router's IPs using ipconfig on a PC connected to it.
IPs and routing info are stored internally so any changes need to be updated one way or another. I won't hazard any guess why the Denon is behaving like this. Sometimes routers go wrong and need a reboot.
Some routers have the option to assign a static internal IP with the MAC. The connected device still uses DHCP and gets the same IP every time. That's what I use.

Thanks. I was about to go with what Linksys calls a DHCP reservation, but decided to re-enter the static IP info, DNS, etc. When I did that, everything started to work as before.

All is well. Thanks for the reply.
Up
Mobile  Desktop