Network: Works with DHCP but no longer with a static IP address - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-17-2012, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I posted a thread a couple of months ago because I could no longer access Internet radio or Rhapsody. I called Denon. We did some troubleshooting to no avail. I returned the unit and the fix was to reset the MAC address. Somehow, maybe during transit, something else went wrong, and when I received it back it would not work at all, and I returned it, but that's another story.

This morning I received it back, and I was still unable to listen to internet radio or listen to Rhapsody. Same symptoms as when I sent it in. Since I have owned it, I have had the receiver assigned a static IP address of 192.168.1.180 with DHCP turned off. It's worked fine until recently.

Just for grins, I went back to DHCP, and voila', I all of a sudden started receiving Internet radio and was able to sign into Rhapsody. I switched back to the static IP address, and the problem reoccurred. Nothing else in my network has changed as far as I know, so I am at a loss as to why the receiver is behaving this way.

Any ideas? The main reason I prefer a static address is so that I can use the web interface without worrying about whether or not I have the same IP address as I did the day before.

Also, the directions are somewhat unclear. My router's address is 192.168.1.1. Is that what i should have in Default Gateway during static IP setup?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-17-2012, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I would highly recommend that you use dhcp. It is there for a reason, simplicity.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-18-2012, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Router's IP is likely the same as Default Gateway but you can easily look up all the router's IPs using ipconfig on a PC connected to it.

IPs and routing info are stored internally so any changes need to be updated one way or another. I won't hazard any guess why the Denon is behaving like this. Sometimes routers go wrong and need a reboot.

Some routers have the option to assign a static internal IP with the MAC. The connected device still uses DHCP and gets the same IP every time. That's what I use.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-19-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

Router's IP is likely the same as Default Gateway but you can easily look up all the router's IPs using ipconfig on a PC connected to it.
IPs and routing info are stored internally so any changes need to be updated one way or another. I won't hazard any guess why the Denon is behaving like this. Sometimes routers go wrong and need a reboot.
Some routers have the option to assign a static internal IP with the MAC. The connected device still uses DHCP and gets the same IP every time. That's what I use.

Thanks. I was about to go with what Linksys calls a DHCP reservation, but decided to re-enter the static IP info, DNS, etc. When I did that, everything started to work as before.

All is well. Thanks for the reply.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page