Anthem MRX 500 + 2 subs ?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-18-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am based in the UK and I am looking at purchasing the MRX 500 it will only be used for movies nothing else and wanted to know if I would be able to run 2 Velodyne SPL 800 Ultra's ?

I have heard positive things about Anthem amplifiers and as I have spent a small fortune on getting a dedicated room built for movies and nothing else and having 7.1 and in wall speakers and 2.40 acoustically transparent screen projetcor and anamorphic lens.

I currently have an Denon 2808 and 1 Velodyne SPL 800 Ultra and just wanted to upgrade as I have had the amp for some years I was also considering the Denon 3313 7.2 amp which is considerably cheaper any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-18-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
The powered subs don't need power from the receiver to run them so if there's only one sub output just use a Y-splitter. If you specifically require independent sub outputs and EQ then it's a different concern.

You should have a clearer idea what is it that you want to upgrade - more volume, more bass, more channels, more processing etc. Unless you specifically want to use ARC there isn't much point using Anthem. In the UK the Anthem is more expensive due to marked up costs and Arcam being in home soil is a better buy unless there's something you need not available in the Arcam. If you like Audyssey then Denon if the version is newer than the one in the 2808.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #3 of 11 Old 08-18-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
post #4 of 11 Old 08-22-2012, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

The powered subs don't need power from the receiver to run them so if there's only one sub output just use a Y-splitter. If you specifically require independent sub outputs and EQ then it's a different concern.
You should have a clearer idea what is it that you want to upgrade - more volume, more bass, more channels, more processing etc. Unless you specifically want to use ARC there isn't much point using Anthem. In the UK the Anthem is more expensive due to marked up costs and Arcam being in home soil is a better buy unless there's something you need not available in the Arcam. If you like Audyssey then Denon if the version is newer than the one in the 2808.

So am I to understand from you post that I would be able to run 2 subs and get more bass by just using a y splitter and single sub out put on the back of the amplifier smile.gif
post #5 of 11 Old 08-28-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Guess i'm not going to get an answer, all I want is more bass
post #6 of 11 Old 08-28-2012, 12:40 PM

Liked: 13
Hello,

The Anthem only has one subwoofer output signal. In order to use 2 subwoofers you must manually set them up first and level match each sub output.
If the subwoofers will not be equal distance from the listening position you may have phase issues, which you will have to correct for by ear.
Personally I think Anthem dropped the ball on these units for not having dual sub outputs that could be included in ARC.
I would be looking at Onkyo TX-NR 3009, or the new TX-NR 1010 or higher. They allow for two subwoofers and will independently calibrate each unit and then recalibrate each as one subwoofer.
Cinema Gary likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-31-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamas View Post

Hello,
The Anthem only has one subwoofer output signal. In order to use 2 subwoofers you must manually set them up first and level match each sub output.
If the subwoofers will not be equal distance from the listening position you may have phase issues, which you will have to correct for by ear.
Personally I think Anthem dropped the ball on these units for not having dual sub outputs that could be included in ARC.
I would be looking at Onkyo TX-NR 3009, or the new TX-NR 1010 or higher. They allow for two subwoofers and will independently calibrate each unit and then recalibrate each as one subwoofer.

Thank you very much for the advice I really appreciate it....I will go with a 7.2 amp as it will be cheaper than the Anthem 7.1, I was thinking of getting the Denon 3313 CI as my current amp is the Denon 2808 and it is a 7.2amp
post #8 of 11 Old 08-31-2012, 10:56 AM

Hello,

I would say do some more research, that Denon does not appear to be a true .2 receiver. It will only correct the 2 subs as if they were one sub.

You should look for an Onkyo TX-NR3009, they should be on sale as the new models are shipping. If you only need 7.2, then the Onkyo TX-NR1010 is your other option.

Models below that only eq the subs like the Anthem. Which is the same as the Denon model you were looking at.

The other + for the Onkyo is Multi EQ XT32 which has higher resolution filters for the subs and surrounds. What you are looking for in any receiver you choose is independent sub eq.

Audyssey uses "sub eq ht" when the receiver is able to eq each sub seperately.

Hope this helps some smile.gif
Cinema Gary likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-31-2012, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

thanks again your advice is really helpful, I knew it wasn't going to be easy doing this but I understand a little better now smile.gif
post #10 of 11 Old 08-31-2012, 03:49 PM

I may be mistaken, but, I think Onkyo is the only one one to offer XT32, dual sub outs with sub eq for both subs.

Eventually I will be picking up the 1010.

What speakers are you using?
post #11 of 11 Old 09-02-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

the speakers I am using are Monitor Audio CPW GS in wall L/C/R behind the screen and RX-FX x 4 surround speakers sounds great at the moment but just thought I might upgrade the amp as I have had it for some years now smile.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors