Receiver upgrade help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-19-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need some help in selecting a new receiver. I am running an older Yamaha HTR 5940 currently which does not even have HDMI. I recently got some Polk monitor 70s with the matching center. It doesn't seem to put out the sound that I was really looking for and I was thinking I may need to push more power to them? I was running Klipsch quintets before...and I just thought these floorstanding speakers would sound much better than they do. The problem is that the current receiver does 85w per channel and it's very difficult to find receivers under $500 that push much more power. I hate to spend $500 and get 5 more watts per channel. I have been looking at Denon receivers - and best buy was trying to tell me the 1613 was 120w/channel but Denon's website says 75w/channel? Maybe power isn't as much of an issue as I think it is....and there just seems to be so many options for receivers out there and I don't know which way to go. Any help/thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
The number of watts isn't as big a deal as you're making it out to be. Not familiar with the particulars, but Klipsch generally are very efficient speakers and likely you're just used to the spl you got before using the same avr. As a quick rule of thumb, takes a doubling of power to raise your spl by 3db. A few watts doesn't put a big ding into that, especially only 5 or 10, and really not even 35. Not all watt ratings are equal, either, in any case.

If you want some serious power you'll need to add outboard amps (if your avr has pre-outs).

ps Grabbed this for the amp spec on the 1613 The Denon AVR-1613 is equipped with a 5 channel power amplifier rated at 75-watts (into 8-ohms, at 20-20kHz, with 0.08% THD, driving 2 channels

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 08-20-2012, 09:02 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2095 Post(s)
Liked: 1771
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansenHouse View Post

I need some help in selecting a new receiver. I am running an older Yamaha HTR 5940 currently which does not even have HDMI. I recently got some Polk monitor 70s with the matching center. It doesn't seem to put out the sound that I was really looking for and I was thinking I may need to push more power to them? I was running Klipsch quintets before...and I just thought these floorstanding speakers would sound much better than they do. The problem is that the current receiver does 85w per channel and it's very difficult to find receivers under $500 that push much more power. I hate to spend $500 and get 5 more watts per channel. I have been looking at Denon receivers - and best buy was trying to tell me the 1613 was 120w/channel but Denon's website says 75w/channel? Maybe power isn't as much of an issue as I think it is....and there just seems to be so many options for receivers out there and I don't know which way to go. Any help/thoughts would be appreciated.

1. Bigger doesn't always translate to "better".
2. Unless the 5940 volume is maxed out and the speakers are clipping, it's got more than enough power. The Polk 70's are rated at 90db @ 8-ohm so are likely only using 2-4W of power even at loud volumes.
3. As noted by the 1613 Owner's manual below, that model is rated to 120W into 6-ohm speakers, and 75W into 8-ohm speakers.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 11-25-2012, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Bought the 1613 on black friday at Best Buy. Me and a couple of friends were at my place after I hooked it all up. Used the audyssey mic and set everything up, and threw in Battleship which we have all watched with the old Yamaha. We noticed that it just did not have the same room filling dynamic sound. It just sounded weak. I had to turn the receiver all the way up into the 70s and 80s just to get any volume out of it. On Saturday I left the house and the wife called and informed me the receiver had failed, and would no longer turn on. Came home and the after I turned it on, it would turn off and the power light would blink red. Returned it to best buy, and hooked up my old receiver again last night. Now I really don't know what to do....and I kinda lost some faith in this Denon stuff. Never owned anything Denon before, but I have now...for a whopping 36 hours. I think maybed I should get the 3312CI? But I'm leery.....
Old 11-25-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 419
What speakers do you have?
Is there a subwoofer?
What model is your old Yamaha receiver

The Denon 3312 is a much better receiver than the entry level 1613 so maybe its a good purchase if you can afford it. Are you getting some kind of discount on the 3312?

Afro GT
Old 11-25-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

I have polk monitor 70s with the series 2 center (i think it's called), and polk rears. Have a klipsch reference series 12 sub...I'm thinking about buying the 3312 on accessories4less for $599 and hopefully I'll be done with it. That 1613 was a piece of junk. There was hardly any setup options or anything it just felt very basic...then it failed and rendered itself useless within hours. Very disappointing. What is the next best model of receivers to look at other than Denon?
Old 11-25-2012, 11:49 AM

Liked: 11
Other options at that price level from newegg are

Yamaha rx-a720
Pioneer sc-1222k

These have much more power than the 1613 and may be worth a look.

They are also around the 500 dollar range and are heavily discounted. I personally bought the pioneer bc it is 4 ohm rated and has a very robust class d amp section and also has excellent connectivity features such as their smartphone app.

Yamaha is also an excellent, reliable brand.

Good luck.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

So how do you like the Pioneer thus far? What are your Pros/Cons?