Denon 2312CI Missing remote - Harmony Options? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-19-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted a thread yesterday trying to decide between a Denon 1612 or HK 1565. Went to my local best buy store and saw a display model 2312CI model for a price I couldn't say no to. Only catch is that it was missing everything except the power cord. So I have no remote, no setup mic (is this a big deal? the last "auto setup" i tried was with an Onkyo TX-SR602 from ~2006 and it wasn't very good), no radio antennas, or etc.

So my first priority is to find a remote, since you can't really do anything without one. I'm currently using my Andriod phone via my internet router to change a few features, but I really need a remote to play with all the settings and update firmware and etc. It looks like a replacement remote, which isn't programmable, costs ~$50-60 from Denon dealers, so I was hoping there would be a universal remote available that I could do everything with? I've seen a lot said about the Harmony One, but I would rather not spend $150 for a remote... are the cheaper Harmonies compatible with the Denon receivers?

And less importantly, how useful is the setup microphone? I have a few from old Onkyo units, but I assume the unit is specifically calibrated for the Denon mic. Would the $30 be well spent?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-19-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 346
The setup mic is VERY important. Audyssey multEQ XT is very helpful for calibrating your speakers to your room. You really want to get one. What older Onkyo units do you have, maybe the mic is compatitble? The one from your old Onkyo 602 wont though because that receiver didn't use Audyssey.

You may want to call Denon about the missing mic and remote, maybe they'll send you one since you did buy from an authorized dealer.

Afro GT
post #3 of 5 Old 08-19-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 346
post #4 of 5 Old 08-19-2012, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll try giving Denon a call tomorrow, although I don't think they'll just give me a remote and mic.

I also have an Onkyo TX-SR506 which had the Audyssey tuning, but the auto-setup for that was also rather rubbish in my opinion.

I'd rather spend the $50 on a remote that will be universal/programmable rather than the Denon one which I hear is quite limited.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-20-2012, 04:57 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
You can also use one of the lower priced Harmony models, just depends on how many devices you want to control as to how low you can go. You'll definitely need the mic, either an ACM-1H, ACM-1HB or DM-A409. Although the current Onkyo and Denon mics are interchangeable, your 506 mic is a different configuration and therefore cannot be used. Did you ask the Best Buy to check their drawer of demo accessories as they generally just throw the floor model mics in that drawer? Check other Best Buy stores in the area as well for either of the above mics as they have been known to just give them away. Otherwise, if you can't get one from Denon, then it is available on ebay for around $25 or can be ordered directly from one of the Denon authorized parts supplies or from the Onkyo Sales store.

Note also that as the 2312CI is a "networking" model, there are numerous smart phone remote apps that can be used as well to include the Denon Remote app for the iPhone and iPad.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page