How do I stream audio from my Mac, iPhone or iPad? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
How do I use a Macbook, iPhone or iPad as an audio source? I've got a Harman Kardon AVR 247 receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 391
HK AVR 247 does not have network connectivity or a USB port. Probably the best way is to get a $99 Apple TV and connect it to the receiver.
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-TV-MD199LL-NEWEST-VERSION/dp/B007I5JT4S/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1345476895&sr=1-1&keywords=Apple+TV

I assume you want stream wirelessly?

If not, you can use the headphone jack and connect it to the receiver with this type of cable.
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8V235-09-9-Feet-Audio-Mini-Stereo/dp/B002MA8SZA/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1345476778&sr=1-9&keywords=mini+plug+to+rca

Even the newer HK models are lacking in connectivity features compared to Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, Marantz and Pioneer.

Afro GT
post #3 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I would like to stream using WiFi connectivity (wireless) in the house. Apple TV looks to be a good solution. Is there another option for connecting a laptop to the receiver and perhaps running some type of software on the laptop and a smartphone?
post #4 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

I just found a device - Belkin Bluetooth Music Receiver - which may provide the functionality I'm looking for.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I also recommend the Apple TV--there is also a software solution that works great for times when Airplay is not the answer--AirFoil--give them a look too:

http://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

Bob

post #6 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNaval View Post

I just found a device - Belkin Bluetooth Music Receiver - which may provide the functionality I'm looking for.

Using bluetooth is a bad idea it will result in less audio quality. Go with the AppleTV for $99 bucks connect if you want to go wild check out music match for $25 and control it using the remote app from your iOS devices. If you upgrade your OS to mountain lion you also don't need to buy something like airfoil (still has some value) because sending audio/video from the OS is now default if machine is new(er). Other options are things like airparrot and indeed the airfoil set of tools all support lossless audio something that bluetooth won't do and you get video for free.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #7 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
the atv is a superior solution to bluetooth... "sound quality" issues aside, a wi-fi network is more robust than a bluetooth connection...

if all you care about is music, you could use an airport express, but once you get the atv, i think you might take advantage of it's other features... smile.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 9 Old 08-21-2012, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

I did setup the Belkin Bluetooth Music receiver last night and although it provided the basic functionality I'm looking for, I wasn't impressed. I could not step more than 30 feet away from the receiver as the connection would go weak and the quality of the sound was just average. I will definitely go with Apple TV. WiFi connectivity and the sound quality of atv will be far better.

Thanks for all the "sound" advice guys...
post #9 of 9 Old 08-21-2012, 05:52 PM

Liked: 10
www.BeautifulClockRadio.com

It is the best way to do this and it also has replaced my old Clock Radio. i now place my iPad in a stand and use this app as my alarm-clock-radio.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page