I cannot believe it...what am I missing?????? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 08-20-2012, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I need to buy a 5.1 channel receiver urgently.

My only requirements are:

1. Silver finish
2. HDMI 1.4 (for 3D reasons)\
3. Pre-out

I want to believe that something so simple would allow me to have several choices.
Unfortunately either I am Google challenged or I am missing something eek.gif

Please please PLEASE! Someone make a suggestion.

I don't care what brand it is or if it is used, B-Stock or a legacy piece and I am only looking for a mid-price unit in the $300-$700 range.

Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 08-20-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Silver finish is going to be very hard to find. The vast majority (probably all) of the receivers intended for the U.S. market in your price range are black. Silver is often an option in the European market, though.

Similarly, pre-outs are only going to be available near the top of (or above) your price range, especially in current generation equipment. Cost-reduction is the over-riding factor in the current economy.

The version level of HDMI support has not been allowed to be specified on HDMI equipment since January. 3D support is available with many current-generation AVRs, but 4K support (which you didn't mention) tends to be limited to top-of-the-line models (which have list prices near or above $2K).

Hopefully someone else will be able to provide some more optimistic suggestions.

Selden
post #3 of 41 Old 08-20-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Why the major color requirement? Silver has less distortion than black? tongue.gif
post #4 of 41 Old 08-20-2012, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Cambridge Audio makes a line of AVR's that are available in a silver finish here in the US market, but not at the budget you indicated. They will meet all your other requirements though.

Here is a link to one model -

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CA551R&variation=SIL

I cannot think of any other manufacturer here in the US that can help you. Good luck in your search.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #5 of 41 Old 08-20-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

All my equipment is silver already and this receiver is only serving to add 5.1 to an existing 2 channel system (hence the pre-out)

I saw the Cambridge audio 7.1 receiver but it is 3X the money and way overkill for my simple needs.

Never thought this would be so difficult....

Maybe I should consider importing a Marantz 1402 or 1403 from overseas (or Canada if I am lucky enough to find one)??
post #6 of 41 Old 08-20-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Rubman View Post

All my equipment is silver already and this receiver is only serving to add 5.1 to an existing 2 channel system (hence the pre-out)

You realize that any silver component you find is going to be a different color silver from your existing equipment?
post #7 of 41 Old 08-20-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post

Quote:

You realize that any silver component you find is going to be a different color silver from your existing equipment?

True, but still closer than a black one would be. Aesthetically, I understand why he's shooting for a single color. I did the same, though easier, as I finally got to an all black set of gear recently. Going to be tough for under $700 though.

post #8 of 41 Old 08-20-2012, 03:01 PM

Maybe I should consider importing a Marantz 1402 or 1403 from overseas (or Canada if I am lucky enough to find one)??[/quote]

The Marantz 1402/1403's have only 2.1 pre-outs. Sorry, these units probably wouldn't work for your needs either. Full pre-outs start at above mid level AVR's up to flagships. I know it can be a real challenge sometimes trying to find that perfect piece of gear at an affordable price. I think manufacturers know this too and this is why they build these kinds of pieces but leave out the affordable part. For example, why are there no "affordable" pre-pros? If you think about it, they should be less then AVR's because your not getting an amp section. But they are not. And when you factor in aesthetics too (I can appreciate this if the gear is out in the open), sometimes you really gotta pay to get the look you want. I'll bet Cambridge sells more of the silver than the black because of this very reason.

Again, good luck with your search.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #9 of 41 Old 08-20-2012, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Perhaps I don't have a good grasp of what I need here.

If I want to take a two channel tube preamp and just add three extra channels of power/processing what kind of pre-outs do I actually need on the receiver?

I was under the impression that it was only 2 channels of preamp output, to bypass the left and right fronts so my tube amp and preamp can do the heavy lifting at the front?

Oh...and Bingo on the "another shade of silver trumps black"...it does wink.gif

My gear is all Hovland. Lots of Chrome and glass and soft blue lighting. Very high WAF (until I plop in an ugly black receiver that's a foot tall).
post #10 of 41 Old 08-20-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 253
How about if you get a black receiver and put a little miniature white picket fence and some silk flowers in front of it?

biggrin.gif
post #11 of 41 Old 08-20-2012, 04:16 PM

If you only want the AVR to output L/R Main info through its pre-outs, then your OK. The interconnects would go into your 2 channel pre-amp (assuming you have an HT Bypass Feature on the pre-amp) and another set of interconnects from your 2 ch pre-amp into your 2 ch power amp. The AVR would then power the center and L/R surrounds using its own built in amplifiers. The sub-out of course takes care of just the powered sub; the .1 of the configuration. I only run 5.1 too and do something very similar. I am using an AVR as strictly a preamp/processor going into a 2 channel pre-amp and then to a 5 channel power amp. But my 2 channel pre-amp has an HT Bypass feature that allows for easy integration. If yours has this, no problem. You still have the silver probelm though. Good luck.

post #12 of 41 Old 08-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Onkyo might have what you want in a used x07, x08, x09 receiver but kind of hard pressed to recommend any of those because of HDMI issues. Not sure if the x07 or x08 models support HDMI 1.4 either. Doesn't Yamaha have silver options too?

butter and jelly please.
post #13 of 41 Old 08-20-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Keep in mind..
That an AVR with a black front panel complies with the NAB anti-glare standards.. rolleyes.gif

Just my $0.02.. wink.gif
post #14 of 41 Old 08-20-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 388
You could get a Harmon Kardon receiver which is silver (gray) and black. At least you'd be halfway there.

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-Channel-Receiver-iPhone/dp/B002IKKFUA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1345519421&sr=8-2&keywords=Harman+Kardon+AVR+3600

Afro GT
post #15 of 41 Old 08-20-2012, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sorry, in this country we have affirmative action and any percentage of black is still black.
Silver, as the great unwashed minority, is still relegated to the position of beaten-down and bloodied up, red headed stepchild smile.gifsmile.gif

Come on out there. There must be at least half a dozen silver Receivers that came out over the last 2-3 years since HDMI 1.4 protocol dropped.

Let's have some ideas por favor! wink.gif
post #16 of 41 Old 08-21-2012, 12:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 388
not is this country there arent a half dozen, at least not in your price range. Silver and HDMI 1.4 are not common here.

Now you can find an older silver non hdmi reciever like this Denon 3805. Maybe you'll just have to use optical for your audio output?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-AVR-3805-7-1-Channel-Receiver-Silver-Color-GREAT-Condition-/300762936460

Otherwise silver is a specialized color now. Good luck with that search.

Afro GT
post #17 of 41 Old 08-21-2012, 04:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
unfortunately for the op, the marketplace in the usa spoke awhile ago when it came to silver equipment... they stopped buying it...

anecdotally, this is supported by the vann's absolute giveaway of silver apc s15's not too long ago (while maintaining retail price on black ones) amoungst other examples...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 41 Old 08-21-2012, 05:15 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:

My gear is all Hovland. Lots of Chrome and glass and soft blue lighting. Very high WAF (until I plop in an ugly black receiver that's a foot tall).

The best I can recommend is a Marantz SR 5007 at a delivered price of $750.00. It's fifty bucks above your stated maximum of $700.00 and yes, it's black but it meets your need for HDMI, 3D pass through and has a full set of 7.1 pre-outs but yes, again it's black. Now if you set it on the bottom shelf and put a curtain in front of the unit, you'll never know it's there.

If placed out in the open where others can see it, the receiver looks great and has a high WAF.

-
post #19 of 41 Old 08-21-2012, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I sure do hope and pray the audio police don't come visit as I am guilty of possessing one of those illegal silver S15s!!!!

I am another that actually like the look of silver components or even better the gold tinted Marantz Reference series components. But like Chris says - they are disappearing! Just checked Marantz's site and they only have one gold component left listed.
post #20 of 41 Old 08-21-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

shhh... if we don't tell anyone we have one, maybe we will get away with it... smile.gif

at the price they were selling them for, it was impossible to pass up, since i needed a good solid ups anyway...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #21 of 41 Old 08-21-2012, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

I need to buy a 5.1 channel receiver urgently.
My only requirements are:
1. Silver finish
2. HDMI 1.4 (for 3D reasons)\
3. Pre-out
I want to believe that something so simple would allow me to have several choices.
Unfortunately either I am Google challenged or I am missing something eek.gif
Please please PLEASE! Someone make a suggestion.
I don't care what brand it is or if it is used, B-Stock or a legacy piece and I am only looking for a mid-price unit in the $300-$700 range.
Anyone?
I realise this is quite subjective, but mixing black and silver kit looks great.

As example, my speaker stands have black base and top whilst riser is silver; KEF iQ30 that sit on them are black ash. Also, sub-woofer is piano black and Denon AVR is satin black and sits in rack which is silver.

Overall effect of this colour contrast quite cool. Initially I didn't think I would like it, but I was wrong.
post #22 of 41 Old 08-21-2012, 08:04 AM

If this hasn't been mentioned, apparently you can get a silver SR5007 in the UK.

L_sr5007_n_sg_34.png

L_sr5007_n_sg_re.png

Oh, and if you get the SR7007, Marantz lights the outer mono glass ring with a blue light in the center of the face plate.

cool.gif

-
post #23 of 41 Old 08-21-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
post #24 of 41 Old 08-21-2012, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

O.K. so let's re-cap some of the advice to me thus far:

1. Black receiver with white picket fence and silk flowers
2. Just buy black and get used to it.
3. Buy expensive U.K. import with wrong transformer value.
4. Spray paint

Tough decision with so many brilliant options on the table...biggrin.gif
post #25 of 41 Old 08-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Sandpaper? Gets the black off.

butter and jelly please.
post #26 of 41 Old 08-21-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:

Tough decision with so many brilliant options on the table...biggrin.gif

Hey. It's not our fault you're so hung up on silver. tongue.gifsmile.gif
post #27 of 41 Old 08-22-2012, 05:04 AM

Let's just say the answers you are receiving are somewhat "creative" bordering on comical because the problem you posed to the group. The product you are looking for simply doesn't exist in the US market. Back when you there were more silver AVR's, there was no HDMI 1.4 so that rules out the used market. To get HDMI 1.4 in a modern piece & silver finish, there are none available at your budget - sole exception the Cambridge.

So without being creative or comical, I see only one solution - cough up the bucks to satsfy the aesthtic or stay in budget and live with the black.

Let us know what you end up doing. Good luck.

post #28 of 41 Old 08-22-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraneer View Post

Let's just say the answers you are receiving are somewhat "creative" bordering on comical because the problem you posed to the group. The product you are looking for simply doesn't exist in the US market. Back when you there were more silver AVR's, there was no HDMI 1.4 so that rules out the used market. To get HDMI 1.4 in a modern piece & silver finish, there are none available at your budget - sole exception the Cambridge.
So without being creative or comical, I see only one solution - cough up the bucks to satsfy the aesthtic or stay in budget and live with the black.
Let us know what you end up doing. Good luck.

Agreed. And since this is an AVScience forum, most priorities and discussion are focused on meeting a need based on technology, not cosmetics.
post #29 of 41 Old 08-22-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I was just having fun with the Spray paint idea (obviously) but I think as someone already mentioned the closest you will come is with a Harman Kardon. I am in the process of replacing my AVR445 which would almost meet all you requirements but I am not up to speed on the current models.
post #30 of 41 Old 08-22-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

well... actually, he wouldn't be the first to paint a unit...

i remember seeing a couple examples of people taking cases apart in order to paint them the color desired... although they were silver to black, not the other way around... smile.gif

- chris

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page