Processor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently own the Outlaw 990/7700 combo. I am sure that most everyone on this forum has read about the 978's failure to become a marketable item in the HT arena.
I am looking for a processor to update my 990 and I wanted to take advantage of the forum to see if there is any products that I am not aware of or will soon be released or perhaps update a current version.

I am waiting until next summer to make this change but as you can see I have a lot of enthusiasm and excitement even though this transformation is months away. 11 months to be exact. I am intending to pull the trigger on July 1st...my birthday...make my better half feel a little guilty and she might throw a few dollars my way.

Budget $3000.00 plus the sale or trade in of my Outlaw 990. I do not intend to change my Outlaw 7700 amp.

At the top of my list is the Integra DHC 80.3, Next is the Marantz 7005, and the Denon AVP AIHDCI (A).

This processor also has to have a great 2-channel listening experience as I like to listen to a lot of music.

Any suggestions?

B&W 804S,HTM3S,DS7,
Mitsubishi HC6800
Outlaw 990/7700,Emotiva XPA1 x2,Oppo93, Sony777
Furman Elite Comcast,
Monster,Audio8,BJC,Legend Audio,Tributaries power cord,
Da Lite screen 105" diagonal, Cisco Hub
JL Audio Fathom 110, 113,Chordette,,Bryston BDA1 DAC,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Of the ones you mention, the Integra 80.3 seems to me to be the best choice, although you probably shouldn't rule out the equivalent Onkyo model.

By next summer the Marantz AV7005's price will be much lower than it is now, if it's even still available. The AV7701 and AV8801 are expected to start shipping this fall. Unfortunately, their feature-sets are still mostly rumors. The Denon pre/pro you list is dated: there have been significant changes in home-entertainment electronics since 2008. It doesn't support 3D video, for example.

When you mention 2-channel performance, you need to consider whether you are interested only in analog support or if digital processing is acceptable. The Integra/Onkyo pre/pros support Audyssey MultEQ XT32 room equalization software, which is the best version currently available. Audyssey usually can significantly improve the audio quality for both movies and music.

Selden
post #3 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 01:33 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Of those models that offer Audyssey, consider nothing less than XT32 (so you can drop the 7005 and yet to be released 7701 from consideration, although the 8801 is expected to have XT32). In the Denon lineup, you'll also want to consider the new 4520CI to be released in Sep. The Denon AVP (or possibly 5308CI) would both definitely be top contenders and both of which currently can be upgraded to 3D/XT32 via a $1100 upgrade (although expectation is that the upgrade kits will be gone by next summer and possibly by this year's end) as both models have been discontinued.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Of the ones you mention, the Integra 80.3 seems to me to be the best choice, although you probably shouldn't rule out the equivalent Onkyo model.
By next summer the Marantz AV7005's price will be much lower than it is now, if it's even still available. The AV7701 and AV8801 are expected to start shipping this fall. Unfortunately, their feature-sets are still mostly rumors. The Denon pre/pro you list is dated: there have been significant changes in home-entertainment electronics since 2008. It doesn't support 3D video, for example.
When you mention 2-channel performance, you need to consider whether you are interested only in analog support or if digital processing is acceptable. The Integra/Onkyo pre/pros support Audyssey MultEQ XT32 room equalization software, which is the best version currently available. Audyssey usually can significantly improve the audio quality for both movies and music.

weird my avp does 3d and xt32 just fine. There are many reasons not to pick the avp but from the 3 its still the best build, quality and has the most features. On the features side the limits are mostly 12channels max and the network part aint great (but imho no pre/pro's is great at that). Problem is with the 3d/xt32 upgrade it will be hard to make that price work and as noted it is on the end of its life-cycle still very much alive but from a different time and place.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #5 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the correction on the Denon AVP. I was unaware of the upgrades available for it. Upgrading like that not an option with most modern entertainment equipment, and those few which have it often don't support the most recent standards frown.gif It's too bad that their AVP is no longer in production.

Selden
post #6 of 9 Old 08-21-2012, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Thanks for the correction on the Denon AVP. I was unaware of the upgrades available for it. Upgrading like that not an option with most modern entertainment equipment, and those few which have it often don't support the most recent standards frown.gif It's too bad that their AVP is no longer in production.

Indeed the problem seems not even that they can't sell it anymore but some of the parts it uses are difficult to get. It was designed in 2007 using parts from the years before so at some point you with modern electronics you will run into that problem. Also it was never cheap in production and with the yen/euro/dollar movements went crazy. For example my avp+poa went up in price by 4000 euro since they released it in europe with the 3d update we are talking 5200 euro price higher than in 2008.

Nice for people who have them and amazing its still so up to the task but the newer models are much better value.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #7 of 9 Old 08-28-2012, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the help.
It looks as if the Integra DHC 80.3 is still in the lead. I do not want to spend more than the $3000.00.
I still am using the orginal remotes for all of my equipment and I am looking to purchase an iPad and use it partly as a remote but I am researching for an easy to apply and reliable app with macros. At this date I am down to a couple of gadgets.
The Roomie, Unity Remote by Gear 4 and the most simple to use and set up (even a caveman can do it) I-GOT-IT.

Again thanks and let the suggestions kept on coming in. I will not being buying this processor until next July.

B&W 804S,HTM3S,DS7,
Mitsubishi HC6800
Outlaw 990/7700,Emotiva XPA1 x2,Oppo93, Sony777
Furman Elite Comcast,
Monster,Audio8,BJC,Legend Audio,Tributaries power cord,
Da Lite screen 105" diagonal, Cisco Hub
JL Audio Fathom 110, 113,Chordette,,Bryston BDA1 DAC,
post #8 of 9 Old 01-20-2013, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Look into the Marantz 8801

post #9 of 9 Old 01-20-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Note that the MSRP for the Marantz AV8801 is about $3600, which is above rubbersoul's stated budget. Authorized Marantz and Denon dealers aren't allowed to advertise prices lower than MSRP, but usually are very willing to negotiate if you call them on the phone. I expect that'll be even more true by late summer, after the various manufacturers have announced their next generation of equipment.

Selden
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor , Amplifier Speaker , Marantz , Denon Avr 5308ci Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page