Problems! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-21-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Darn it! Have friends coming over tomorrow and I left checking for the last minute. As a temporary system I have a Yamaha RXV-347 and 2 Pioneer HPM-110 (old as hell I know but the good thing is should be getting new equipment soon! biggrin.gif). Anyway, basically my samsung plasma TV has a 3.5mm audio out and I'm hooking up a jack to jack cable to the TV, using a jack to RCA converter at the other end and hooking the RCAs to the Audio input (as DVD although I've tried the other connections too). Change the input on the receiver accordingly and....no sound. First thing I did was to try and connect it to other possible inputs which are also RCA but no luck. Checked the tv analog audio out to make sure it works using a headset and that worked fine. I set the speaker system on the receiver to 2 of course and set it to analog audio too...no luck :/ Previously it was hooked up to a DVD player through digital audio however my new TV does not have digital audio out. Any suggestions please?

(Have no idea how the image flipped over...changed when I uploaded it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-21-2012, 03:40 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
Easy enough to flip it back .....

Not sure what the issue is with the analog inputs, but most current model TVs have an optical audio output so check for that again to confirm whether it's there or not. Also, the AVR supports the ARC feature so if your TV does as well, you can also pass the audio back to the AVR via the HDMI cable that connects the TV and AVR.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 7 Old 08-22-2012, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

Nope the TV doesn't have digital audio out (which surprised me since it's a new model). Also, the receiver is old and doesn't have an HDMI out.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-22-2012, 02:53 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
It's got to be a settings issue on the receiver. If there is a reset procedure for the AVR trying doing that to see if it resolves the issue.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 7 Old 08-22-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

That was weird. Hooked up my headset to the receiver "silent cinema" to check that the connections were fine and sound came out well. Unplugged them and tadaaaaa the speakers started working; same wiring, same settings and everything! I'm glad it worked out. Don't ask me why and how it happened because it was not stuck on "silent cinema" or anything before I did it. Oh well smile.gif Thanks for you help still! Much appreciated smile.gif
post #6 of 7 Old 08-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Good to hear you got it working. I have read on this site where many people have had dust bunnies in the headphone jack which were causing the sound to be cut off to the main speakers. A little compressed air was the cure. Enjoy your time with your freinds.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-23-2012, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks socketman. We sure had a good time! Made me more excited about my (future) setup smile.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page