Explain the differences in functionality between Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha Smartphone APPs please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2012, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok, so I am in the market for a new receiver. I really want to have internet radio, pandora, AND the ability to perform as many functions as possible using my iphone / ipad as a remote.

The key feature that I want is the ability to control Pandora and Internet radio stations through the smartphone as a remote and change the songs, etc...just like you can do using the pandora app on the iphone (or as close to this as possible).

Can anyone explain the differences in what functions these apps can / cant control?

Which is the best app, which is the worst?

Ive downloaded all the demo apps, but i am still not sure about integration with pandora, and how that function works.

Any insight would be great. I am basing which brand i buy on this (as silly as it may seem to some of you) since i listen to so much internet and pandora radio. Having this function will make me use my receiver and audio system that much more.

Models I am looking at include the yamaha 810, pioneer sc61 and denon 3312.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 02:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragincajun5220 View Post

Ok, so I am in the market for a new receiver. I really want to have internet radio, pandora, AND the ability to perform as many functions as possible using my iphone / ipad as a remote.
The key feature that I want is the ability to control Pandora and Internet radio stations through the smartphone as a remote and change the songs, etc...just like you can do using the pandora app on the iphone (or as close to this as possible).
Can anyone explain the differences in what functions these apps can / cant control?
Which is the best app, which is the worst?
Ive downloaded all the demo apps, but i am still not sure about integration with pandora, and how that function works.
Any insight would be great. I am basing which brand i buy on this (as silly as it may seem to some of you) since i listen to so much internet and pandora radio. Having this function will make me use my receiver and audio system that much more.
Models I am looking at include the yamaha 810, pioneer sc61 and denon 3312.
Thanks!

I know this might not be the answer you hoped for but pick your machine based on other things personally i have bias to yamaha and denon. Since if you want 'the most' out of your iPad/iPhone add a $99 appletv to your receiver it by far is the smoothest way to integrate things and it will probably evolve over time faster then build in solulations.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
Old 08-25-2012, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Apple TV will be the most versatile. Functions vary with the onboard streaming stuff.

butter and jelly please.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Thanks guys.

I did just buy an onkyo nr809 on a huge sale from a local frys store.

I will look into this apple tv, I know very little about it.

Thanks for the insight, I've been out of the game for a while and these network avrs have really changed the game!
Old 08-26-2012, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragincajun5220 View Post

Thanks guys.
I did just buy an onkyo nr809 on a huge sale from a local frys store.
I will look into this apple tv, I know very little about it.
Thanks for the insight, I've been out of the game for a while and these network avrs have really changed the game!

No problem good luck with your new toy.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
Old 08-26-2012, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
the 809 is a very good receiver. I had one last year. I like the GUI very much. Pandors works flawlessly on it. I now have the 818 and love it even more.

I just downloaded Onkyo Remote2 and it does the job controlling Pandora and the receiver in general. The $5 app ORemote is even better because it gives you much more control over the receiver. One thing that you cannot do on the apps is create new stations. You can only control stations you have already in your account. Not a huge deal, just create new stations on your computer or the actual Pandora app on your phone. It does take a little while for the new station to show up on the Onkyo app. So keep that in mind.