10 years later - HK or Sony? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-23-2012, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I have had my trusted Harman Kardon AVR430 for about 10 years now and it still works fine but it is lacking many features that newer receivers have. For example, HDMI, airplay, Wifi, Bluetooth.

Its not a deal breaker, but what has kept me from upgrading all this time is that it still works, but also because I spent $800 on it.

So now my question is, should i upgrade the receiver for the newest technology or not? I am thinking about the new Sony STR-DN1030 which has wifi, bluetooth, airplay, and HDMI as well as 7.2 and lots of power. Sound wise, it got a good review from Cnet:
http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/sony-str-dn1030/4505-6466_7-35332546.html

The problem I'm having is that it still feels somewhat of a downgrade brand wise. What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-27-2012, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
is it fair to say that Sony's sound quality is worse than Harman Kardon?
post #3 of 8 Old 08-28-2012, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Generally Sony ES models are better but since I haven't used HK I can't compare the sound. I recently got a new sony and am still breaking it in. What HiFi in the UK also reviewed your model. http://www.whathifi.com/review/sony-str-dn1030

Keep in mind What HiFi isn't very technical when it comes to reviews.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-28-2012, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Most people that have owned HK and sony would never consider a sony avr.Sony is not what I consider a quality audio product, ymmv.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-28-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
If you want a new receiver that has the best sound quality around, plus all of the bells and whistles, consider the Cambridge Audio 551R.

Its sound quality is outstanding; much better IMO than any of the Japanese receivers.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-28-2012, 08:22 AM

Liked: 42
Sony has made some good gear over the years, but these days they are generally regarded to be not the equal of Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer or Marantz. Those are the brands I'd choose from these days. Your room size and speaker sensitivity/ohm rating would be things to consider as well as the features you are looking for.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-28-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

If you want a new receiver that has the best sound quality around, plus all of the bells and whistles, consider the Cambridge Audio 551R.
Its sound quality is outstanding; much better IMO than any of the Japanese receivers.

And it will be like going into a 10 year time warp where the single most impactful feature in modern AVR's didn't exist, Room Correction.

Doesn't matter if the Cambridge theoretically sounds better in a vaccuum or not - without modern DSP, it won't, in the overwhelming majority of listening environments, sound as good as a mid line AVR with one of the modern EQ solutions.

While much less significant, it also has a badly outdated video processing section. Consider looking at something from Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, or Pioneer before spending good money on the Cambridge.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-28-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 190
What kind of setup do you plan to have? If you have a 5.1 setup and don't plan to add speakers and don't mind having to chage sources on the TV and receiver whenever you switch from say cable to blu-ray, then there's really no reason to upgrade. Nothing will sound or look better. Room correction may help things sound better, but it doesn't always work as advertised.

Either way, if you do decide to upgrade, I would avoid sony. I suggest gettin last years models of denon on closeout.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Harmon Kardon Avr 430 7 1 Channel Audio Video Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page