What receiver should I get for the KEF iQ70? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-23-2012, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, this is my first time posting. Please be patient with me if I don't provide all the important information...

I just bought a pair of the KEF iQ70 and need to buy a receiver. I always had those $200-$300 HT system so my knowledge of good receivers is next to zero.

Anyways, I am putting the iQ70 in my living room and plans to do a 3.1 system eventually...but I will wait a bit before getting the center and sub. I care about the quality of playing music pieces over movies also.

I have read that certain brands of receivers pairs well with certain brands of speakers. So I would appreciate recommendations on what pairs well with the iQ70. My budget for the receiver is around $300-$400.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-24-2012, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

bump
post #3 of 7 Old 08-24-2012, 07:46 AM

Liked: 11
I just bought the same speakers along with the matching center channel.

I also just bought an onkyo nr809 (135x7) to power them.

The sensitivity (90) and 8 ohm rating suggests they may not need a ton of power, but I have these in a very large room and would rather have too much rather than not enough power.

I'll report back with my findings.

Edit : just saw your budget. I paid 499 for my onkyo. If recommend the denon 2311 at your price point. Gets good reviews here. Its selling at accessories 4 less for 429.99
post #4 of 7 Old 08-24-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I suggest the Onkyo 709.

It has good power, a wide range of features, and it has preouts for all channels in case you ever want to add a power amplifier to the front channels for better sound quality.

Those speakers are very good; wise choice there.

You might want to consider just going with a 2-channel system and adding a subwoofer later.

In that case, I would recommend the Music Hall integrated amplifier, which is one of the best for under $1000. It will certainly sound better IMO than any HT receiver you can buy for under $1000, and it is available at Music Direct for only $499, which is a great deal.

It even has a phono preamp built in if you should want to connect a turntable in the future.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-24-2012, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragincajun5220 View Post

I just bought the same speakers along with the matching center channel.
I also just bought an onkyo nr809 (135x7) to power them.
The sensitivity (90) and 8 ohm rating suggests they may not need a ton of power, but I have these in a very large room and would rather have too much rather than not enough power.
I'll report back with my findings.
Edit : just saw your budget. I paid 499 for my onkyo. If recommend the denon 2311 at your price point. Gets good reviews here. Its selling at accessories 4 less for 429.99
+1

Although, not the same cabinet, I run KEF iQ30 which has same driver as iQ70 in front and iQ10 for rear surrounds. Plus sub-woofer of course.

All driven by Denon AVR-3310; AVR-2311 would be a good match as well. iQx0 speakers are very efficient, quite easy to drive and don't require much power.

I'm well satisfied of this configuration and wouldn't change a thing.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-25-2012, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Also, if you plan to use a single wire connection between AVR and speakers, don't use the dodgy wire that KEF supply for connecting LF and HF speaker input terminals. Use high-quality heavy gauge copper wire between both terminals for each speaker.

As example, I use a short piece of BJC 10 white with bare ends between each + and - input terminal on each speaker.

Just my 2p. wink.gif
post #7 of 7 Old 08-25-2012, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I looked into the models that are suggested and the Onkyo 709 is certainly the most feature rich...so it is the best bang for the buck and the cheapest I found is refurb on ac4l @ $475 (incl shipping)

The Denon 2311 also looks solid and cheapest is also a refurb @ $355

First of all, between the two brands I think I decided on the Denon because the general feedback is Denon has pretty good reliability. Also the feedback for people who paired Denon with the iQ series seems pretty good.

But I have another dilemma. I can get a new Denon 1913 from my local Fry's for $353 (incl tax) and when I compare it with the 2311, they are both similar in spec. Here are the differences I found:

2311 has 105W per channel vs the 1913 with 90W (doesn't make a real difference)
2311 has MultEQ XT vs the 1913 with MultEQ (not sure how much better it really is)
2311 has pre-outs (allows) potential upgrade if I want to spend a few more hundred for a stereo amp later)
1913 has newtwork capability (not really sure how useful is this, I will have a HTPC anyways)
1913 is new (I think it is 3 yrs warranty) vs 2311 refurb (1 yr warranty)

So in terms of features, the 2311 definitely has a slight edge. Which one would you guys choose?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page