(RESOLVED) Onkyo TX-NR818 dropping audio then showing no signal on AVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 08-25-2012, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm starting to have a problem that when watching TV from the Cable/Sat input. It will drop audio ever once and awhile for about 1-3 seconds enough to see the receiver say no signal, till the audio comes back on and this only happens with cable using my Comcast Cisco RNG 200N DVR connection from hdmi and noticed it's getting worse. and I'm starting to get worried, cuz I just pasted my 30 days to return it.. Can someone please help me figured something out why it is doing it.. seems like certain channels do it worse, but could be a wrong impression.. anyone else having this issue? or do they have a solution for me to explore?

Thanks!

ONKYO TX-NR818 AVR RECEIVER
7 CHANNEL SPEAKERS FROM ONKYO HT-S5400 SERIES HTIB
2 CHANNEL MIRAGE HD SPEAKERS USED FOR FW'S
POLK AUDIO .1 CHANNEL PSW-110 SUB WOOFER
VIZIO 42" E3D420VX 3D/SMART TV
COMCAST CABLE/ CISCO RNG200N DVR BOX
LG 3D BLU-RAY PLAYER BP620
LOGITECH REVUE / GOOGLE TV STB
PC:...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-25-2012, 02:04 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 1495
This is more likely an issue with the cable box and not the AVR. Cable/sat boxes often have HDMI handshake issues with all brands of AVRs. The work around (if you cannot replace the cable box) is to connect the cable box (HDMI) directly to the TV with cable box (optical) to the AVR for surround audio, or connect cable box (component/optical) to the AVR.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 25 Old 08-25-2012, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for responding in a timely matter.. that thought crossed my mind, but wouldn't there be a lot of people complaining about this. since a lot of people have Comcast and my box since its the newest dvr box out... or are you saying I have a bad cable box? and if I go anything other then hdmi, like a toslink won't I lose sound quality? I believe and trust your knowledge and appreciate your response.. I would feel better if other AVR enthusiasts would agree with you?

post #4 of 25 Old 08-25-2012, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

sorry double post

post #5 of 25 Old 08-25-2012, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for responding in a timely matter.. that thought crossed my mind, but wouldn't there be a lot of people complaining about this. since a lot of people have Comcast and my box since its the newest dvr box out... or are you saying I have a bad cable box? and if I go anything other then hdmi, like a toslink won't I lose sound quality? I believe and trust your knowledge and appreciate your response.. I would feel better if other AVR enthusiasts would agree with you?

post #6 of 25 Old 08-25-2012, 03:13 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Giudice View Post

There are hundreds of posts in these AVR threads discussing HDMI handshake issues with cable and satellite boxes. Also, firmware updates to cable/sat boxes have been known to cause HDMI handshake issues as well, when the connection had worked perfectly well prior to the update. No, I'm not saying your box is defective, rather only if it was an older model, using a newer model might not have the same issues. And no, using Toslink, you won't lose any sound quality as the best audio a cable box or TV smart app (ie Netflix, Hulu, etc.) can provide is DD 5.1 which is the same quality over optical or HDMI.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 25 Old 08-25-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
You are losing nothing if you go toslink. The signal stinks from the getgo from cable. That is why we have AVRs and ideally we would like to just run one cable. I have used toslink with Charter box for years now and can say it is every bit as good as the HDMI connection, well every bit as poor, but the end result is equally as good minus the handshake sputter crappy HDMI BS, oh don't get me started. Toslink can carry every bit the info that HDMI can from a cable signal so do not worry about that. The sad thing is we have to resort to that thanks to copyright crap. Honest people suffer. I find it disturbing the 818 suffers from this malady. I have an 809 and it does not have this problem with Charter though starting the system up takes way longer than I like. Hi, how are you? Good, who are you? It is me, the AVR and a TV. Oh, I am not so sure so I need to restart and verify who you are. Are you sure that is really you? You are not trying to steal copyright content are you? No, it is me. Well let me restart and try to verify that again. Ok, that looks to be you but I think I am going to cause a display restart just to make sure you are not stealing cable TV?????????
post #8 of 25 Old 08-25-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I answered the one question but did not answer the other. My 809 does respond well after it connects with the cable box and all is well once under way. Get with your provider and make sure the cable box is working properly or get hold of Onkyo support. Funny that happened after 30 days.
post #9 of 25 Old 08-25-2012, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Ya I feel Ya on that... this is pissing me off as well cuz I had the 809 and sold it for the 818 and am almost regreting it. if I can't just stick to hdmi without having this issue.. WTF FML! I should of stuck with the 809. so please forgive me toslinks do only audio and not video correct? so I can use my hdmi cable and add a toslink to do the audio? thank you to both guys you guys and this forum are awesome and hands down the best!

post #10 of 25 Old 08-25-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ya I feel Ya on that... this is pissing me off as well cuz I had the 809 and sold it for the 818 and am almost regreting it. if I can't just stick to hdmi without having this issue.. WTF FML! I should of stuck with the 809. so please forgive me toslinks do only audio and not video correct? so I can use my hdmi cable and add a toslink to do the audio? thank you to both guys you guys and this forum are awesome and hands down the best!
You can assign these things. We should not have to do this but sometimes we do what we have to do and from what I have seen using component video, get hold of Onkyo support because this is not why we pay what we pay for these units.
post #11 of 25 Old 08-25-2012, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

Well I answered the one question but did not answer the other. My 809 does respond well after it connects with the cable box and all is well once under way. Get with your provider and make sure the cable box is working properly or get hold of Onkyo support. Funny that happened after 30 days.

Lol that's a joke when I call both companies for answers. they don't know their ass from their elbows and I'm not kidding.. when I call they give me the wrong info.. one rep from ONKYO swore that when watching a bli-ray with dd or dts.... that all channel was the dsp that would give discreet channel sound. lmao

post #12 of 25 Old 08-25-2012, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You can assign these things. We should not have to do this but sometimes we do what we have to do and from what I have seen using component video, get hold of Onkyo support because this is not why we pay what we pay for these units.
Ya calling them gets me no where.. those aholes don't know **** and only like to play the blame game. call everyone else even if the problem is on our end.. and they will miss inform me. like one guy was telling in a matter of factly way that dd5.1 & dts was meant to be heard in all channel stereo that it was discreet channel sound... Lmao.. better the pllz or neox... anyway ****ing avr is cutting out as we speak.. I don't get it out didn't do in the first 30 days now it's doing it and getting worse as time goes on.. to the point it's getting annoying... I wish i had my 809 back.. i swear these things have timers in them and know when to to start ****ing up. like people who have their avr break exactly a week after their 2yr is up.. frown.gif you think ONKYO would give me back a 809 for a 818

btw can send me a link to the handshake issue I'm having. I'm on my phone at the moment

post #13 of 25 Old 08-25-2012, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Damn freaking phone.. double post again.. can you delete them somehow?[

post #14 of 25 Old 08-25-2012, 05:25 PM
585-645-1006

Yup ... just click on the red "x" icon at the bottom left corner of the post.

FYI, although this is not likely an AVR issue, some credit cards add a 60 or 90 day purchase protection plan (Amex - 90 days) which extends the return from the store's 30 days. Also note that some cards will add an extra year to the 2 year warranty as well (again Amex does this for sure).

"JD" –

post #15 of 25 Old 08-25-2012, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I don't get it all of a sudden it's doing it every 5 minutes now.. Wtf I cant believe it's only a cable box handshake problem since it never did before and the box hasn't gotten any firmware updates... I paid cash for I'm ****ed... does the new 10 series what is it a 1009 or 10 have this problem cuz I love my ONKYO avr but not with this problem.. I can't take it anymore it's annoying as hell

post #16 of 25 Old 08-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You are losing nothing if you go toslink. The signal stinks from the getgo from cable. That is why we have AVRs and ideally we would like to just run one cable. I have used toslink with Charter box for years now and can say it is every bit as good as the HDMI connection, well every bit as poor, but the end result is equally as good minus the handshake sputter crappy HDMI BS, oh don't get me started. Toslink can carry every bit the info that HDMI can from a cable signal so do not worry about that. The sad thing is we have to resort to that thanks to copyright crap. Honest people suffer. I find it disturbing the 818 suffers from this malady. I have an 809 and it does not have this problem with Charter though starting the system up takes way longer than I like. Hi, how are you? Good, who are you? It is me, the AVR and a TV. Oh, I am not so sure so I need to restart and verify who you are. Are you sure that is really you? You are not trying to steal copyright content are you? No, it is me. Well let me restart and try to verify that again. Ok, that looks to be you but I think I am going to cause a display restart just to make sure you are not stealing cable TV?????????

Lol.

butter and jelly please.
post #17 of 25 Old 08-26-2012, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

I think I found my problem. it was coming from my Logitech revue Google tv stb.. I took out of my setup and I haven't seen it drop audio yet, but I'm not sure cuz I feel asleep last night. doing more watching of tv today to know for sure. then will change thread to resolved if that's the case I'm sure it'll help a lot of people

update: 2 full days without any dropped audio/ no signal problems once I removed Googlet tv.. now I just gave it, it's own hdmi slot uder the stb/dvr instead of it hooked up with my cable box and running them as one. I lose some functionality that way but it's okay. It'll still work as a Google TV what out cable running through it..

post #18 of 25 Old 09-09-2012, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

hey jd, Mike, or puke I got a question. I'm not getting audio/video dropping when watchin live cable from my dvr box. but when I rewind and use the dvr I will get audio/video drop out every once and awhile. not as bad as before but it's there.. any ideas guys.?

post #19 of 25 Old 09-09-2012, 04:36 PM
585-645-1006

It's an issue with the DVR, not the AVR. Bypass the AVR if you want to avoid the issue all together.

"JD" –

post #20 of 25 Old 09-09-2012, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

bypass how my dude?

post #21 of 25 Old 09-09-2012, 05:16 PM
585-645-1006

DVR(HDMI) to TV and DVR(optical) to AVR.

"JD" –

post #22 of 25 Old 09-11-2012, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

thanks guys.. !

post #23 of 25 Old 09-12-2012, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

DVR(HDMI) to TV and DVR(optical) to AVR.
Ok i just did what you said. Now is there any settings I need to change in the avr. I'm asking Cuz, now if I unplugg the HDMI cable from the DVR box . Shouldn't I still be able to hear sound since I got the toslink doing the audio? Well I wasn't able to get sound when I tried it and played with the avr settings and nothing.. is that normal.?

post #24 of 25 Old 09-13-2012, 03:45 AM
585-645-1006

There are two optical inputs on the AVR (Game1 and TV/CD) so you would need to change the input source on the AVR to either source name depending on which input you're using unless you "assign" the input to another source name (p. 59 OM).

Also note that instead of using the optical cable connection, if the DVR has a coax digital output (orange), you can connect a "yellow" RCA video composite cable from the DVR to one of the coax digital inputs on the AVR (just above the optical inputs).

"JD" –

post #25 of 25 Old 02-18-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Ok i just did what you said. Now is there any settings I need to change in the avr. I'm asking Cuz, now if I unplugg the HDMI cable from the DVR box . Shouldn't I still be able to hear sound since I got the toslink doing the audio? Well I wasn't able to get sound when I tried it and played with the avr settings and nothing.. is that normal.?
I know this is an older thread but I hope you're still subscribed to it: I have a Revue and an 818 (like you) but I can't get any pic or sound to play through the MAIN HDMI out. Are you saying you are now able to do so?

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818
Gear in this thread - Nr818 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page