Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 55 Old 09-03-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Actually the 515 is only 80W, however, you're not going to likely notice a difference of even 30W let alone only 10W.
you sure? i see 100w out per channel on the product page.thr NR414 is 80. Just wondering if that will play a factor when it comes to buying the speakers and the quality of the sound. you guys mentioned before the speakers are more important than the receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 Old 09-03-2012, 02:50 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtoodles View Post

you sure? i see 100w out per channel on the product page.thr NR414 is 80. Just wondering if that will play a factor when it comes to buying the speakers and the quality of the sound. you guys mentioned before the speakers are more important than the receiver.

Where the advantage to the extra watts comes in is headroom, or available watts to help with peak demand needs. Sort of like unused engine torque when driving on a flat road.

Where it applies to speakers is the sensitivity of the speaker which is represented by dB/1w/1m. That's sort of like unused HP and torque while idling at a stoplight; potential.

AVR manufactures start messing with your head when they report how many watts the particular Amp in the AVR is capable of producing. There's one channel, two channel or all channels driven specifications and then there's the amount of distortion introduced when at max capability, all channels are driven; smooth road vs a bumpy road.

So in a technical sense of the word, yes, it will make a difference. The rub, unless getting into a separate Amp, you're pretty much at the whim of the AVR manufacture's stated specs. It's not a good thing but yes, all of this is tied into price and how far you want to try and push this string.

HomeTheater is good place to check on AVR choices as they're real good at testing and comparing AVR manufacture claims when directly compared to what their bench tests show.
post #33 of 55 Old 09-03-2012, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 473
In I had $5 for every time you worked your favorite word - headroom - into a reply I could retire early. Seriously 20 watts is going to make a huge amount of headroom noticed by all - not. We all know the Math and the an the amount of power requrired to just bump it up 3dbs and 20 it isn't going to even get it started. Stay on track like efficient speakers or something you can easily sale later when you can afford one of the big boys or seperates. Will someone with an amp - about 200 wats min please pass us some head room. Just once I liked to see that over used word clealy defined instead of a buzzword that screams I know what I am saying - headroom.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos coming soon and Dolby Surround isn't too shabby either.
post #34 of 55 Old 09-03-2012, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

In I had $5 for every time you worked your favorite word - headroom - into a reply I could retire early. Seriously 20 watts is going to make a huge amount of headroom noticed by all - not. We all know the Math and the an the amount of power requrired to just bump it up 3dbs and 20 it isn't going to even get it started. Stay on track like efficient speakers or something you can easily sale later when you can afford one of the big boys or seperates. Will someone with an amp - about 200 wats min please pass us some head room. Just once I liked to see that over used word clealy defined instead of a buzzword that screams I know wh/at I am saying - headroom.
So I should go for the onkyo 100w vs the 90w denon you say?
post #35 of 55 Old 09-03-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

In I had $5 for every time you worked your favorite word - headroom - into a reply I could retire early. Seriously 20 watts is going to make a huge amount of headroom noticed by all - not. .

+1

I wasn't even going to click on this thread but after seeing the above reply on the title page couldn't help but think I knew who you were responding to. rolleyes.gif Seriously.
post #36 of 55 Old 09-03-2012, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:

So I should go for the onkyo 100w vs the 90w denon you say?

Quote:

Consider the Denon 1712 which has 6 HDMI inputs and not likely much more than the 1612.

Fwiw, I agree with jd and he has given you the best advice on this thread.
post #37 of 55 Old 09-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Someone could use a max headroom avatar. Lol.
post #38 of 55 Old 09-04-2012, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

I dont see how the 1712 is so much cheaper. It has more features it seems at a better price. I was actually going to pull the trigger on the denon until the wattage convo. now I am thinking i am better off with the onkyo....
post #39 of 55 Old 09-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

I dont see how the 1712 is so much cheaper. It has more features it seems at a better price. I was actually going to pull the trigger on the denon until the wattage convo. now I am thinking i am better off with the onkyo....

The 1712 is a nice little receiver. For the most part don't get caught up in the wattage wars. I have a denon 1712, and while it doesn't hold a candle to my onkyo 3009, it was and still is a nice receiver. And I paid $400, full msrp. If you don't need to play anywhere near reference levels, the 1712 will do its job nicely. I don't think any model below the onkyo 818 will out do the 1712.

butter and jelly please.
post #40 of 55 Old 09-27-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Ok guys... Here it is again. I love the features the NR515 that Onkyo offers but it appears they just have so many issues with them its not really looking like a good option. I have seen a few people throw out different models from onkyo and denon to consider. the price point of 300-400 what do you guys recommend as the best feature/performance receiver I can get. I have bestbuy coming out next thur to do a tv calibration so i would like to have my receiver by then. If you guys think i should hold off until the holidays due to better deals and price dropping I can reschedule the calibration but if thats not the case what should i get...

it would be nice if the option had either spotify or pandora with it.
post #41 of 55 Old 09-27-2012, 08:51 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Ok guys... Here it is again. I love the features the NR515 that Onkyo offers but it appears they just have so many issues with them its not really looking like a good option. I have seen a few people throw out different models from onkyo and denon to consider. the price point of 300-400 what do you guys recommend as the best feature/performance receiver I can get. I have bestbuy coming out next thur to do a tv calibration so i would like to have my receiver by then. If you guys think i should hold off until the holidays due to better deals and price dropping I can reschedule the calibration but if thats not the case what should i get...
it would be nice if the option had either spotify or pandora with it.

If you don't mind a refurb with a one year warranty, I say look at the Denon 2113CI.
post #42 of 55 Old 09-27-2012, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by benso37 View Post

If you don't mind a refurb with a one year warranty, I say look at the Denon 2113CI.
even refurbed that unit is out of my price range.
post #43 of 55 Old 09-27-2012, 11:42 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

even refurbed that unit is out of my price range.

Where did you look? It's only $20 over your max on accessories4less.
post #44 of 55 Old 09-27-2012, 12:09 PM

I am also at the point where i need to purchase a new avr. I have narrowed it down to the following four receivers:

Onkyo NR818
Denon 3313CI
Denon 4311
Yamaha 2020

It will be part of a 5.1 system with def tech 8060st, 8060cs and rear 8040's. Migt expand to 7.1 early next year.
Any advice would be appreciated
post #45 of 55 Old 09-27-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by benso37 View Post

Where did you look? It's only $20 over your max on accessories4less.
Thats where I looked. Its $20 over my max budget.
post #46 of 55 Old 09-27-2012, 02:45 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 1523
Quote:

As you can see from the Onkyo 515 spec page below, the 100W is the 6-ohm rating while the 80W is the 8-ohm rating compared to the 90W 8-ohm rating of the Denon 1712.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #47 of 55 Old 09-27-2012, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

As you can see from the Onkyo 515 spec page below, the 100W is the 6-ohm rating while the 80W is the 8-ohm rating compared to the 90W 8-ohm rating of the Denon 1712.
JDS so you think the 1712 is what i should buy? Its so hard for me to venture away from onkyo. I have always wanted an onkyo receiver but if its not as good I will go denon. I guess it comes down to is the audyssy the only reason you recommend that or is there other reasons it is better?

also is the 1712 better than the new 1613? I am going to be running 5.1. If i am going last years models is the onkyo NR609 any good? i saw it got great reviews from hometheater.
post #48 of 55 Old 09-28-2012, 04:26 AM
585-645-1006

Yes. As previously noted, the lower level Onkyos only feature Audyssey 2EQ which in addition to having fewer speaker EQ control points than either MultEQ or MultEQ XT, also cannot EQ the sub. The 1712 features the better MultEQ XT, however, is not a networking model like the 1613, although the 1613 does feature MultEQ. So it really boils down to what features you want in the AVR. Choose the model that best meets your feature/input/output/budget requirements. With last year's Onkyo models you take a chance that there may be QC issues; however, as long as you purchase from an authorized vendor, you'll have the warranty to cover it.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #49 of 55 Old 09-28-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes. As previously noted, the lower level Onkyos only feature Audyssey 2EQ which in addition to having fewer speaker EQ control points than either MultEQ or MultEQ XT, also cannot EQ the sub. The 1712 features the better MultEQ XT, however, is not a networking model like the 1613, although the 1613 does feature MultEQ. So it really boils down to what features you want in the AVR. Choose the model that best meets your feature/input/output/budget requirements. With last year's Onkyo models you take a chance that there may be QC issues; however, as long as you purchase from an authorized vendor, you'll have the warranty to cover it.
So it seems I cannot get the best of both worlds. the 1712 is last years model as well right? I guess I would have to go with the NR709 for the better audyssey. Does the Audyssey XT for doing the sub really make that much of a difference? I am really torn on what to get. The addition of spotify or pandora is pretty nice.
post #50 of 55 Old 09-28-2012, 05:12 PM
585-645-1006

I'd definitely go with either a MultEQ or MultEQ XT model over 2EQ model.

"JD" –

post #51 of 55 Old 09-28-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:

I am really torn on what to get.

Get a Marantz, SR5007 and be done with it. FWIW, Marantz and the SR5007 now supports Spotify. The thread started on the 26th of August and look at all that home theater experience you've been missing out on. biggrin.gif
post #52 of 55 Old 09-30-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Get a Marantz, SR5007 and be done with it. FWIW, Marantz and the SR5007 now supports Spotify. The thread started on the 26th of August and look at all that home theater experience you've been missing out on. biggrin.gif
True... but for me I will keep the receiver until the wheels fall off or hdmi is replaced and I need something else to filter it all. I still have a POS technics receiver that is 10 years old. I am not an audiophile so really anything sounds pretty good to me smile.gif
post #53 of 55 Old 09-30-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:

True... but for me I will keep the receiver until the wheels fall off or hdmi is replaced and I need something else to filter it all. I still have a POS technics receiver that is 10 years old. I am not an audiophile so really anything sounds pretty good to me smile.gif

Buy what you will. The SR5007 will do what you want an AVR to do. The point, if you don't buy anything, you'll be doing without as for the most part, just saying, five hundred or a thousand dollars, pretty much, they're all the same.
post #54 of 55 Old 10-01-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Buy what you will. The SR5007 will do what you want an AVR to do. The point, if you don't buy anything, you'll be doing without as for the most part, just saying, five hundred or a thousand dollars, pretty much, they're all the same.
by your logic i should just buy whatever I am comfortable with. From what I have read it will be denon or onkyo. and it took a lot on my part to concede to possibly get a denon.
post #55 of 55 Old 12-31-2012, 06:04 AM

I have the onkyo 818 running a 7.1 setup and really like it. If you can land it at a sale price I don't think there is a better value at the moment. I am also going to pair with an amp to run 9.1 eventually.

I agree with others though that you won't likely see any noticeable difference with the models you mention. Just pick the one with the features you find most appealing.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo , Samsung , Samsung Pn64d8000 64 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Tv 2011 Model , Speaker Systems , Denon Avr 891 Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Denon Avr 1613 Receiver , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page