Just got a denon 2312 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2012, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I love my new receiver , it replaced my Onkyo 606 when my Hdmi stopped working. However, Although, the new receiver is a mid-level - I expected better separation of sounds.

At one time- years ago, I heard the Eagles reunion movie -hell frezzes over -at best buy on a denon and surround speakers. The song was Hotel California ,I remember it starts with different instruments -the drums started at front left speakers, the guitar at the front right speakers and then there starts a slow crescendo of applause and it engulfs you from back surround speakers. It was a beautiful demonstration of the separation of sounds.

I bought the Eagles movie and I put it on my system (Sony 46XBR, Infinity Satellite speakers 5.1) testing my new denon. The instruments played like it did before, the applauses began but rather then amaze me on my surrounds, the applauses sounded defuse on all speakers with no separation of sounds.

There are a lot of variables. I don't remember the actual denon but I remember the cost -it was north of 900 dollars. This receiver retails for $900 , i got it for $ 600 The speakers were towers not satellite. Any of those variable could explain the better separation of sounds.

My question is :
Can I do something that will maximize the separation of sounds? What should my settings be? Pro-logic, Cinema,etc.
The movie DVD was not a blu-ray but I did get the awesome separation @ Best buy.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray_on View Post

I love my new receiver , it replaced my Onkyo 606 when my Hdmi stopped working. However, Although, the new receiver is a mid-level - I expected better separation of sounds.

At one time- years ago, I heard the Eagles reunion movie -hell frezzes over -at best buy on a denon and surround speakers. The song was Hotel California ,I remember it starts with different instruments -the drums started at front left speakers, the guitar at the front right speakers and then there starts a slow crescendo of applause and it engulfs you from back surround speakers. It was a beautiful demonstration of the separation of sounds.

I bought the Eagles movie and I put it on my system (Sony 46XBR, Infinity Satellite speakers 5.1) testing my new denon. The instruments played like it did before, the applauses began but rather then amaze me on my surrounds, the applauses sounded defuse on all speakers with no separation of sounds.

There are a lot of variables. I don't remember the actual denon but I remember the cost -it was north of 900 dollars. This receiver retails for $900 , i got it for $ 600 The speakers were towers not satellite. Any of those variable could explain the better separation of sounds.

My question is :
Can I do something that will maximize the separation of sounds? What should my settings be? Pro-logic, Cinema,etc.
The movie DVD was not a blu-ray but I did get the awesome separation @ Best buy.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

So you want a recommendation for a setting based on equipment you may or may not have heard in a room that hasn't been described, with a source you're not sure of, but you want the same or better results on different gear in a different room with maybe a different source? Can you narrow that down a little?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 08-28-2012, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When you put it like that, let me re-frame my question, generally speaking, is there anything
I could do to maximize my separation of sound?
Old 08-28-2012, 04:33 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1985 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
Have you run AUTO SETUP (Audyssey)?

Also note there's a dedicated thread for Denon AVR-XX12 owners linked in my sig. Review posts #3-6 for more helpful information.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 

Tags
Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Sr606 Receiver , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 46xbr6 46 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv