Yamaha RX-V773 YPAO - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 08-28-2012, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I am looking for some feedback and advice on the YPAO auto calibration as I found two interesting problems with my new RX-V773.

Speakers setup: 7.1 Channel with surround back speakers.
Testing sound source: 2-channel musical CD, input from HDMI, Optical, Coaxial cable

1. Sound distortion when play back in STRAIGHT mode, only when Parametric EQ is set to FLAT or NATURAL .
2. The sound gap of loudness (same sound source and no change of volume) between STRAIGHT and PURE DIRECT mode is big, could be more than 15dB. STRAIGHT mode is louder.

I use YPAO auto setup, I tried single position, and multi positions (2, 3 and 4 positions). I found the it works fine if calibrated with single YPAO measurement. If taking measurements from more than 1 position, sound distortion appears and sound gap increases. It happened to two sets of RX-V773 which included the replacement.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-28-2012, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Do you have quite differently sized speakers? ie big towers up front and small satellite speakers way out back?

What speaker volume level adjustments did it end up with to get the all balanced?
post #3 of 20 Old 08-29-2012, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Both front left and right speakers are floor standing. others are small bookshelf type.

As soon as you turn volume up from mute, you will note the distortion sound.
post #4 of 20 Old 08-29-2012, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Go into setup > Speaker setup > Manual setup > Equalizer... and select 'off'

See if that makes a difference.. ???
post #5 of 20 Old 08-29-2012, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

The receiver gives sound distortion ONLY when using YPAO setup from 2 or more positions plus when EQ is set to FLAT or NATURAL. There is no problem with FRONT and THROUGH.

The receiver works fine when using YPAO setup from 1 position. No distortion found.
post #6 of 20 Old 08-30-2012, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Perhaps the other micropro positions are too extremely different for YPAO to handle. Maybe try the multiple mic positions much closer to main listening position.
post #7 of 20 Old 08-31-2012, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

I really do not know, anyway, all positions were within one meter circle.
post #8 of 20 Old 08-31-2012, 07:31 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomaust View Post

I really do not know, anyway, all positions were within one meter circle.

I'm glad to know that I'm not alone. I have A820 and YPAO makes my 7.1 setup sound like crap. I initially tried multi (4 positions), then I tried 2 positions. Both sounded terrible. It only sounds okay when I only do one position or do not calibrate at all. This problem has brought me to reconsider keeping this unit. I would have purchased a single position unit had I known about this problem or purchased a totally different unit. I do love all the extra features (especially, the zone 2 auto switching) it offers.
post #9 of 20 Old 08-31-2012, 02:07 PM

Liked: 53
Any receiver with auto EQ can have this problem, YPAO is not alone. If we look at this problem and not even talk about EQ but just matching levels and delays for distance only 1 seat can be the sweet spot. It is not possible to have levels and timing matched perfectly in every seat. In general the closer you are to that sweet spot the better the sound will be. Here are the options for set up

1. Set up the system for only 1 sweet spot. If the sweet spot isn't placed in a bass peak or null this is probably the best chance for great sound in one seat and very good sound in seats placed near it. Move the mic within a couple feet of the head position. Don't forget vertical differences.

2. Make the sweet spot in the center of your listening area. A good option to improve sound but no area will have great sound. Keep the mic within 3 feet of the center of the listening position.

3. Take measurements at each seat and average them. Another good option to improve sound but no area will have great sound. When using multiple measurement positions it is probably best not to include seats that are in bad acoustical locations, such as near a wall, corner or in the peak/null areas of the room. In a rectangular room peak/null areas will generally fall with a foot of the 1/4 and 1/2 dimensions of the room.

These auto set up devices have to make many compromises and aren't capable of making smart decisions. They do not take enough measurements to make intelligent decisions and don't beat having a good calibrator set up your system. Since most won't have a calibrator you'll need some trial and error. Depending on the room, different set up/ EQ systems may work better or they might not. It doesn't matter which room system you use, it is a crap shoot if it will improve the sound in your room and one isn't necessarily better than another. There are many threads that people prefer the sound without the EQ. You are doing the right thing by trying it different ways.
post #10 of 20 Old 09-01-2012, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

I have brought this issue to local Yamaha, but the experience was very unpleasant, time consuming and at the end there is no solution.

Both the retailer and Yamaha were unable to answer my question : why it works fine for 1 position and not when more than 1 ? They all aiming to other equipments : speakers are good enough, do not expect to get good result from a cheap microphone which was supplied and etc. etc. All answers and reasons been given were not related to my question.
post #11 of 20 Old 09-06-2012, 01:55 PM

What levels did YPAO set your speakers, are any of them +6.0 db or higher?
post #12 of 20 Old 09-07-2012, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

No speakers were set to +6.0db, I tried many times, main left and right speakers were usually set from -1.0db to +1.0db.
post #13 of 20 Old 09-21-2012, 02:39 AM

I have just experienced the same issue with my new RX-V773. After YPAO ran on 4-5 positions the speakers sound like crap. I got crack sound from front and the center sounds hollow like the sound from a can. The SW sounds completely separate and not merged into the scene. I have also tried single position YPAO and the result is not acceptable either.

However, after googling this issue for weeks I read something about running YPAO without SW connected. I tried and the result was much better. I also did some manual calibration based on YPAO result and of course with the SW reconnected. Now the result is acceptable for me but still not fantastic.

I think this might be a bug in YPAO program and hope YAMAHA to correct this with firmware update.
post #14 of 20 Old 09-21-2012, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Have lots of people been having issues with the YPAO system? Is it just inherent to the new models? I am looking at the HTR-7065 at Costco, which according to Yamaha is the the RX-V773 equivalent.

Xbox LIVE gamertag: red71rum
post #15 of 20 Old 09-21-2012, 03:41 PM

YPAO seemed to work great for me. I have the rx-a720
post #16 of 20 Old 09-21-2012, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sounds good, I am looking forward to getting the Yamaha HTR-7065 tomorrow.

Xbox LIVE gamertag: red71rum
post #17 of 20 Old 09-23-2012, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

You have tried YPAO without SW connected, but pls tell me how many positions : 1 or more than 1? Tks
post #18 of 20 Old 10-01-2012, 01:53 AM

I tried 4-5 positions as well as all 8. The result is more or less the same. What matters is that the SW has to be disconnected or powered off. YPAO will set your front to large even it's small. You can set it back leave it as is. I also did some manual adjust based on my personal perception.
post #19 of 20 Old 10-01-2012, 09:14 PM

Certainly happy I came across this post. I recently purchased a RX-A2020 and am experiencing the very same distortion issues.

My 5.2 speaker setup consists of 2 Polk MicroPro 2000 subs, a pair of TSi500s up front (bi-amped), a Polk CS20 center, and two TSi200's for rear surround. The audio area is an enclosed HT: 12.5x21x8 carpeted room with acoustic panels on walls & ceiling.

The intermittent distortion comes from multiple sources (SATV, Blu-ray, and AirPlay) at medium to loud volume levels (-20db - 0db). It appears to affect all channels (not including the SW); but is definately more prounounced in the front and center woofers than the rear.

The prior Pioneer VSX-1020-K receiver, that this unit replaced, did not exhibit these issues.

I originally ran the YPAO in a 7-position measurement during the setup (in a 6 foot semi-circle from the listening sweet-spot). The EQ configuration was set for a YPAO:Flat response. I was able to recreate the issue on virtually every scene and configuration I have tried (so far).

That said, when I re-ran the YPAO setup from a single position, the distortion issue resolved itself. Unfortunately, the resulting effect is that the room is taking on a more lively sound than I like.

Playing with the cross-over frequencies has refined that liveliness a bit; but not to a level that I would say I am happy with.
post #20 of 20 Old 08-26-2013, 02:03 AM

Hi guys,

I want to ask something. I have the yamaha rx-v773 and recently bought extra pair of speakers to place for presence speakers. Before that i used 7.1 channel with back surround.

I have put "use" in the receiver's menu for the presence speakers but they still don't work.

My question is how to turn them on and all channels to work.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha , Yamaha Rx V773wa Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread