Onkyo TX-NR1010 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 163 Old 08-08-2013, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You may have to play around with sub placement if possible in order to get more sound and diminish the drop @ 50hz at your primary listening position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 163 Old 09-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
New firmware update 8/28: 1070-6104-0200-0000

USA link

I placed one sub in the front, one in the back.

I had serious nulls, so i tried adjusting phase, and BAM, bass and pressure is incredible!
Hyabusha likes this.

post #93 of 163 Old 09-03-2013, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpitz View Post

New firmware update 8/28: 1070-6104-0200-0000

USA link

I placed one sub in the front, one in the back.

I had serious nulls, so i tried adjusting phase, and BAM, bass and pressure is incredible!

Thanks for the heads up! biggrin.gif

Video Games, 3D, and Home Theater Forever! ^_^

post #94 of 163 Old 09-03-2013, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anybody get an update prompt for the firmware update? And can you update thru Ethernet? I only update thru USB because I can't update from Ethernet. ;-(

post #95 of 163 Old 09-04-2013, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyabusha View Post

Does anybody get an update prompt for the firmware update? And can you update thru Ethernet? I only update thru USB because I can't update from Ethernet. ;-(

No, Onkyo said they disabled Ethernet updates going forward, we can only update via USB now. They stated that many people had connection issues causing updates to fail (and i assume render their receivers inoperable).

Just download the firmware zip file, then extract it to the root of the USB stick, plug it in at the front port, goto firmware update screen and a USB option will appear.

Mine took what seemed like over an hour to update, so be patient smile.gif

post #96 of 163 Old 09-04-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, Onkyo said they disabled Ethernet updates going forward, we can only update via USB now. They stated that many people had connection issues causing updates to fail (and i assume render their receivers inoperable).

Thanks. ;-)

post #97 of 163 Old 09-16-2013, 09:19 AM

Liked: 11
Just picked up a Pioneer Elite SC-61 for $650 from Best Buy. Pretty good deal but sad to see it has NO GUI/OSD to overlay the existing source. You cannot even see volume adjustment while watching something. Also, you cannot check individual channel levels and make adjustment while watching a source. Does the 1010 allow this? Based on paper, the 1010 is a beast compared to the SC-61 (50lbs vs. 32lbs alone tells me something). How is the OSD/GUI of the Onkyo? I am pretty pleased with the sound coming from the SC-61, which is the most important thing, but I don't want to have to get up and look at receiver screen to check things.

Also, does the 1010 have a good app? The Pioneer Apps are pretty cool. Thanks! I have 2 weeks to play with SC-61 before I have to return. One note, a while back I tried a Denon 2312 and did NOT like the sound after playing wit Audyssey. How does the 1010 sound quality compare to Denon? Thanks!!

Jutter is gone..zipadeedoodah zipadeeday!!!
post #98 of 163 Old 09-16-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 327
^
1. In the Pioneer thread you said you had the SC-63 not the 61. Different animal all together. which is it? confused.gif The 63 has a number of features that the base model 61 doesn't. Were you chasing the sale price rather than doing some homework on which model can best serve your needs?

2. 50 lb vs 32 lbs. Try class A/B amps with the required heavy transformer vs Pioneer's class D amps which are 90% efficient so don't need nearly as large a transformer. class A/B amps are at best about 50% efficient. hence the difference in weight. you are comparing apples & oranges & drawing a conclusion which is not warranted by the facts.

3. Onkyo uses Audyssey just like Denon. Although the version in the 1010 is Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (the most advanced version) vs Audyssey MultEQ XT in the Denon 2312. I suggest you do more homework on the differences between the versions. Because if you didn't like the way Denon's Audyssey sounded, there's a good chance you won't like the Onkyo either.

if you are comparing rec A & rec B, makes sure you understand why things are the way they are with them. and if you ask for help with features on a model you bought, try getting model numbers correct so people can give you relevant information wink.gif

Steve
post #99 of 163 Old 09-16-2013, 05:50 PM

I have the SC-63, which is basically identical to the SC-61 with the exception of being able to configure the receiver with a windows based computer (big deal). I never looked into GUI and OSD - just assumed any mid to high end receiver these days would have a descent GUI/OSD where you could at least see the volume and adjust channel levels while watching a source. My bad for making that assumption.

Jutter is gone..zipadeedoodah zipadeeday!!!
post #100 of 163 Old 09-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCF34 View Post

Just picked up a Pioneer Elite SC-61 for $650 from Best Buy. Pretty good deal but sad to see it has NO GUI/OSD to overlay the existing source. You cannot even see volume adjustment while watching something. Also, you cannot check individual channel levels and make adjustment while watching a source. Does the 1010 allow this? Based on paper, the 1010 is a beast compared to the SC-61 (50lbs vs. 32lbs alone tells me something). How is the OSD/GUI of the Onkyo? I am pretty pleased with the sound coming from the SC-61, which is the most important thing, but I don't want to have to get up and look at receiver screen to check things.

Also, does the 1010 have a good app? The Pioneer Apps are pretty cool. Thanks! I have 2 weeks to play with SC-61 before I have to return. One note, a while back I tried a Denon 2312 and did NOT like the sound after playing wit Audyssey. How does the 1010 sound quality compare to Denon? Thanks!!

Some functions block the picture or sound (which is annoying) but I guess you get used to that. Some functions allow you to press enter to bring back the picture while making changes which is nice.

The 1010 has also 'Sound Program' which allows you to preset different settings for stereo and multi-channel sources, in terms of which Audyssey (movie or music), sub usage, music tune-up, Dynamic EQ, etc... It can make an OK song sound incredible!

I like listening to records in Studio-Mix with the sound-program I set for stereo input, sounds incredible!

For mp3/flac/sacd/dvd-a I use WinAMP with WASAPI plugin (you can follow the guide here).

For video playback I use either TotalMedia Theatre to play actual discs, and for MKV remuxes I use MPC-BE with LAV Filters along with MadVR renderer.

I think you need to play with your system more before you reach a conclusion smile.gif

post #101 of 163 Old 09-17-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:

I think you need to play with your system more before you reach a conclusion smile.gif

I couldn't have said it better wink.gif wise words smile.gif

I'm not totally sure he shouldn't be seeing an OSD but I own the top SC model not the bottom one wink.gif

Steve
post #102 of 163 Old 09-19-2013, 03:31 PM

Just picked up the 1010. Does anyone know if the amp section output is limited in 4 ohm mode?
I'm looking at running 4ohm speakers all the way around, Anthony Gallo Classico CL-3 towers, Classico CL-C center, and classico bookshelves. All 4 ohm loads.
Thanks for any help!
post #103 of 163 Old 09-19-2013, 04:53 PM

Liked: 36
The amp section operates at a lower voltage when the impedance switch is set to 4 ohm. As such, the amp will clip at a lower output wattage than if the switch is set to 6 ohms meaning lower output, distorted dynamics and potential harm to speakers. See the following article for an example of on Onkyo TX-NR5007 putting out 171watts into one channel on the high impedance setting vs. 68watts on the low impedance setting. These switches are really just a power limiter.

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/impedance-selector-switch-1
http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/impedance-selector-switch-1/amplifier-and-power-supply-basics
http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/impedance-selector-switch-1/what-is-ul-csa-actually-testing

I have always set my receivers to the higher impedance option and have never had a problem.
FWIW I also have a mate who I helped set-up 4ohm speakers with a 1010 and he has had no problems. There really should be no issue with setting the switch to the 6+ohm on a receiver as capable and as big as the 1010 no matter what speakers you are running. Just ensure adequate ventilation at all times although this applies regardless.

My 2c
Phil
post #104 of 163 Old 10-18-2013, 07:47 AM

Liked: 10
Just ordered one of these monsters today! I'm upgrading from a Denon 1712, and am curious to see how much of a difference it makes.
post #105 of 163 Old 10-18-2013, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Congrats, let us know your experience with it!

post #106 of 163 Old 10-18-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jberry2012 View Post

Just ordered one of these monsters today! I'm upgrading from a Denon 1712, and am curious to see how much of a difference it makes.

Nice! biggrin.gif

post #107 of 163 Old 10-26-2013, 05:58 PM

So far so good. I set it up and calibrated it this morning and it sounds fantastic. Xt32 seems to have helped me some (totally subjective test). I do have one problem though. It doesn't seem to be receiving signal from my LG bd570 Blu-ray player. I used it last night through my denon, and I've tried it on different hdmi ports (I tried it in the ports I had my apple TV and satellite box plugged into and it still didn't receive any signal even though those devices work correctly). I guess I'll try a different cable tomorrow morning.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
post #108 of 163 Old 10-27-2013, 08:07 AM

Problem solved, I must have kinked a cheap hdmi cable too much. I swapped it with an extra one this morning and the tx-nr1010 picked up my Blu-ray player right away.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
post #109 of 163 Old 12-07-2013, 03:59 PM

New to posting to the forum but have read posts for a couple years now and have learned so much from this site!  Just purchased a new onkyo tx-nr1010 to replace an older onkyo tx-sr805.  I love the receiver but I am having problems with output to zone 3 using the onkyo network as a source.  I am trying to use spotify on the network input on the receiver but no sound is passing through to my russound amplifier and to the rest of the house.  In the manual, it says that only pcm and analog audio input can be output to zones 2 and 3.  I understand why hdmi and other digital sources are not output to zone 2 and 3 analog outs but why would onkyo make it so the built-in network functions cannot be output as well?  The manual isnt very well written when it comes to this.  I called one call technical support who ended the call with he couldn't figure it out and the manual is confusing.  I was wondering if anyone else can help on here.  May since the network sources are digital then it cannot be output to zone 2 or 3 but am assuming that this would be decoded as PCM.  Thank you all in advance for your help!

post #110 of 163 Old 12-15-2013, 07:33 PM

Has anyone tried to get analog audio out on Zone 2 on this amplifier? I currently have HDMI 7 mapped to TV/CD and set the audio to "Analog". When I set Zone 1 to the TV/CD input I get the HDMI video source, and the analog audio source. When I set Zone 2 to TV/CD I get the HDMI video source, but no audio. Any idea what it could be? Onkyo support was clueless..

post #111 of 163 Old 01-13-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmern View Post

Has anyone tried to get analog audio out on Zone 2 on this amplifier? I currently have HDMI 7 mapped to TV/CD and set the audio to "Analog". When I set Zone 1 to the TV/CD input I get the HDMI video source, and the analog audio source. When I set Zone 2 to TV/CD I get the HDMI video source, but no audio. Any idea what it could be? Onkyo support was clueless..

Did you make sure to set zone 2 to be powered in speaker setup and use the controls on front (left side) of the receiver itself to activate zone two (instead of set to 'off')?

I just spent some time trying to get sound to zone 2 as well, but didn't use the HDMI or set anything to analog. I was just using Spotify as source and wanted to get sound in both zones and that worked fine once I gave up, read the manual and realized I couldn't do it using the remote alone.
post #112 of 163 Old 01-13-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklin View Post

Did you make sure to set zone 2 to be powered in speaker setup and use the controls on front (left side) of the receiver itself to activate zone two (instead of set to 'off')?

I just spent some time trying to get sound to zone 2 as well, but didn't use the HDMI or set anything to analog. I was just using Spotify as source and wanted to get sound in both zones and that worked fine once I gave up, read the manual and realized I couldn't do it using the remote alone.

I got it figured out. Turns out on Zone 2 you cannot display digital video and use analog audio at the same time. I had to use main HDMI out or mirror that and then send the analog audio to Zone 2. I got it almost working from my remote. Only downside is, when I send a command to mirror the HDMI out from my remote, I set it back to HDMI Matrix switch mode.. Right now I have to go back in to setup with the remote and turn HDMI 2 to "Use" again to get back to where I want it. Think I have to bite the bullet eventually and get a full HDMI Matrix switch with break out analog audio to get it all to work properly.

post #113 of 163 Old 01-15-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can any one confirm if the European TX- NR1010 have Sub EQ HT ?
Thx....
post #114 of 163 Old 01-15-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
And / or the TX NR3010 ?
post #115 of 163 Old 01-19-2014, 11:17 AM

I found a wicked deal on the Onkyo 1010 last night and instantly placed an order. Its $1495.00 cdn plus you get a pair of Klipsch RF-62 Reference II Floorstanding Speakers ($959.00 cdn) for free with free shipping in Canada. Check it out at http://www.electronicsforless.ca/audio-video-3/amplifiers-receivers-13/onkyo-tx-nr1010-9-2-channel-a-v-surround-home-network-receiver-3605.html. I don't really need the speakers as I have a set of Polk RTi A7's but just couldn't pass this up. I'm thinking I'll sell the Klipsch's and use the cash to upgrade my sub.
post #116 of 163 Old 01-19-2014, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

And / or the TX NR3010 ?

I would think so, but you may have to contact Onkyo to find out for sure.

fdsfds
post #117 of 163 Old 01-19-2014, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by scar69 View Post

I found a wicked deal on the Onkyo 1010 last night and instantly placed an order. Its $1495.00 cdn plus you get a pair of Klipsch RF-62 Reference II Floorstanding Speakers ($959.00 cdn) for free with free shipping in Canada. Check it out at http://www.electronicsforless.ca/audio-video-3/amplifiers-receivers-13/onkyo-tx-nr1010-9-2-channel-a-v-surround-home-network-receiver-3605.html. I don't really need the speakers as I have a set of Polk RTi A7's but just couldn't pass this up. I'm thinking I'll sell the Klipsch's and use the cash to upgrade my sub.

Sweet deal. I have the RF-62 II's and love them. If you sell them, I vote for any sub from SVS.

fdsfds
post #118 of 163 Old 01-19-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post

Sweet deal. I have the RF-62 II's and love them. If you sell them, I vote for any sub from SVS.

Thanks Tom...I've been drooling over the SB13-Ultra for a while now. I might have to spoil myself and order one, that should get the neighbors riled up.
http://www.sonicboomaudio.com/box-subwoofers-c-1/ultra-series-c-1_7/sb13ultra-ultra-performance-compact-1000-w-subwoofer-p-51.html
post #119 of 163 Old 01-20-2014, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Which DSP mode do you guys usually use for movies/music?

post #120 of 163 Old 01-20-2014, 06:14 PM

I'm curious if anyone has figured out how to get a HDMI audio source to play out via Zone 2 or Zone 3? I'm trying to use the line-outs of Zone2/3 to send audio to my whole house audio controller, but none of the HDMI inputs will play on Z2/3. NET based inputs like SiriusXM and Pandora play just fine though.

My understanding was the 1010 would play HDMI audio to Z2/3 with the caveat that if I selected the same input for the Main Zone, the Main Zone would drop down to a PCM 2.0 signal.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr1010 Network A V Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr1010 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page