Is there a benefit? Receiver vs. Amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-30-2012, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a Pioneer SC-1222 receiver running a 5 speaker set. The sub is self amped. The Pioneer is rated at: Power Output Per Channel (1kHz@8ohm) 120. I am considering a dedicated amp for my mains, which are Arx A5 (I believe to be 6ohms speakers). If I were to get an amp, such as the Emotiva UPA-200 - which their website reports as (rated power; THD < 0.05%): 125 watts / channel (8 ohms; all channels driven) do you feel it would be worth it? If so, why? I read the reported statistics and I see the receiver at 120 a channel and the dedicated amp at 125. What would be the benefit, if any? Thank you in advance for any input and recommendations received.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-30-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
unlikely to be any benefit at all... while the pio has no chance of delivering rated power in an acd test, you don't listen to continuous sine waves in the real world...

fwiw... 120 vs. 125 watts isn't even worth considering... where the emo would have the real advantage was if you were putting your receiver into protection because the speaker load was too difficult... since you did not note this in your original post, it's not an issue for you...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #3 of 5 Old 08-30-2012, 07:40 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaison View Post

If I were to get an amp, such as the Emotiva UPA-200 - which their website reports as (rated power; THD < 0.05%): 125 watts / channel (8 ohms; all channels driven) do you feel it would be worth it? If so, why?

It's always cool to have more gear. And if running a 6ohm speaker on an 8ohm Amp, you're going fatigue the Amp with the extra effort.

How loud do you run your gear? Really, really, bother the neighbors loud or just loud enough that the wife holds both her temples and her tongue? As in, turn the AVR down a few dB and she's back to normal type of loud.

If you play the equipment at what one might consider to be "NORMAL" loud, then you shouldn't need an outboard Amp. If you like pushing your gear when watching action flicks, then you're better served getting an outboard Amp for the extra, peak, headroom the outboard Amp provides.

If you're going buy, instead of purchasing the UPA-200, go with the XPA-2, XPA-3 or the XPA-5 and be done with it; none of that half-stepping Amp buying stuff; just go for it. Beware of the center channel and surround ratings and remember, constant vs peak speaker ratings; dynamic range. And as always, buy what makes you all warm and fuzzy inside. It's important to feel all warm and fuzzy inside when watching today's crop of action flicks. tongue.gif

-
post #4 of 5 Old 11-16-2012, 02:20 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

It's always cool to have more gear. And if running a 6ohm speaker on an 8ohm Amp, you're going fatigue the Amp with the extra effort.

Just to correct you. The SC-1222-K is 4 ohm stable. And is rated at 160 Watts RMS at 6 Ohms. Says so in big letters right on the outside of the box.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
The SC-1222 is one of the few higher-end receivers that use class D amplification.

The class D amplificaiton in HT is interesting, although the quality of output depends heavily on the design (and can vary wildly).

Efficient output is certainly not lacking in a class D amplifier. Distortion and Frequency Response are the challenges. You can read more here:

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/pwm.htm
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page