whats up with the levels? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-02-2012, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
not sure where to post this, but ...i've been watching more movies lately...
and its become an annoying pattern : scenes with talking i have to turn it up... and then fighting/explosions etc i have to turn it back down...because its louder than the previous talk scenes...
in fact i re-calibrated the onkyo Audissey ... and its not changed... this doesnt seem normal to me.. is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Probably the way it is supposed to be. You can turn your center channel db up. The turning it down when it gets loud I am sure is not quite uncommon.

butter and jelly please.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-03-2012, 06:32 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2186 Post(s)
Liked: 1795
This is exactly what the Audyssey Dynamic Volume feature will resolve; however, if you are still using the HT-S5100, it appears to only have Dynamic EQ and not Dynamic Volume.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 7 Old 09-03-2012, 06:53 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post

not sure where to post this, but ...i've been watching more movies lately...
and its become an annoying pattern : scenes with talking i have to turn it up... and then fighting/explosions etc i have to turn it back down...because its louder than the previous talk scenes...
in fact i re-calibrated the onkyo Audissey ... and its not changed... this doesnt seem normal to me.. is it?

You'll note that when you go to a movie theater, this is not a problem, because the volume is cranked to THX "reference" levels "and left there." That's how soundtracks are mixed. At home, with a remote control in our hands, we try to control the dynamic range of the soundtrack mix as opposed to just letting it happen as in a movie theater experience. The point, if listening to a movie soundtracks, this is very normal.

As was mentioned, turning DynamicEQ on, helps with this problem as it lifts the "sound" floor up so soft passages are not so soft and one doesn't have the twenty, thirty or "FIFTY" dB variation of a THX movie soundtrack to deal with. This link will help better explain it for me.

"They have no real-time analysis of audio content. Film and music pieces are typically made at reference volumes much louder than typical listening volumes. At reference level, loud sounds can be near 100 dB SPL, while soft sounds can be much softer, near 50 dB SPL. If a consumer listens at softer levels such as 20 dB down, loud sounds will need less loudness correction than softer sounds. This must be analyzed continuously to ensure the correct octave-to-octave balance is sustained as the content is playing."

If one is always turning the volume down, then they're becoming their own equalizer and will defeat the soundtrack in the process. Audyssey DynamicEQ helps considerably with the dynamic range of THX mixed, movie soundtracks. The best thing one can do when watching a movie is understand that movie soundtracks are mixed this way and to set the volume for dialogue and deal with the dynamic range of the soundtrack mix. The point, when we go to a movie, we don't turn the volume down but at home we turn the volume down. The point, we the users are the problem, not the movie soundtrack.

Hope the above helps with your normal and natural user interface volume control dilemma.

.....................................................smile.gif
post #5 of 7 Old 09-03-2012, 06:56 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2186 Post(s)
Liked: 1795
^^
Replace "DynamicEQ" with "Dynamic Volume".

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 7 Old 09-03-2012, 07:06 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Replace "DynamicEQ" with "Dynamic Volume".

Ka-rap, I can't seem to get anything right while you're around. tongue.gif

(j/k)

Yes, Dynamic Volume.

Well, at least I had the idea or concept of Dynamic Volume right. tongue.gif

-
post #7 of 7 Old 09-03-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
thanks! ... my onkyo R550 has a Cine filter button... i had to read the manual wink.gif ... "soften overly bright movie soundtracks, which are typically mixed for reproduction in a movie theater"
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page