Which Receiver For Me? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-02-2012, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've read thru several threads here, but I can't find the answers to my questions. So, here goes....

I'm replacing a Sony 5.1 receiver that I've had for about 10 years. The biggest reason for the replacement is that the Sony pre-dates HDMI inputs, so switching things on the TV usually requires 3 different remotes and a multi-step process. Also, I'm remodeling my back yard and I want to add speakers outside.

Here are the parameters I'm dealing with:

Price Range: $400 or so.
Availability: Best Buy is my first choice, but I'm not shy to order from Amazon, Crutchfield, J&R, etc.
Inputs: At least 4 HDMI inputs.
Output: 1 HDMI.
Network: Yes, preferably wifi.
Speakers: 5.1 in the main room, plus the two outside speakers.
iPod, iPad: Don't care. I have Android.

I don't plan on listening to a different source outside, but I do want to be able to shut the outside speakers off (can't wire in parallel with the fronts). Also, I don't want to go through the hassle of a separate amp for the outside speakers. A salesman at Best Buy tried to explain how to connect the second set of speakers to a 7.1 system, but he wouldn't tell me if they would be always on.

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-03-2012, 05:07 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 1507
Best Buy is clearing out last year's models at much reduced prices which should work for you just fine. Check the stores in your local area to see what inventory is still available. Select a 7.1 AVR that has powered Zone 2 capability (ie. 5.1 in the main zone and uses the Surr Back speaker posts for Zone 2, eg. Denon 1912 or 2112CI).

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 7 Old 09-03-2012, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mr. Smoothie:

I checked the Denon 1913 on the Denon website - quite a step up from my Sony receiver! Yes, I can fiddle with the assignable outputs and make my outside speakers do what I want them to. I was a little leery when the Denon owner's manual told me that it won't play a digital source in Zone 2...unless I use the Front B/Amp Assign to set the Front B speakers to parallel the Front A speakers. From my reading of the online Denon manual, this only has to be set once. Then, when I switch to Zone 2, the outside speakers come on in parallel with the inside front speakers, right?

Best Buy has the 1913 on sale for $50 off - big deal. Amazon Shopping has shown me a half dozen online retailers that have it for less. As soon as I convince my wife that we need a $500 receiver, I'll place an order.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-03-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaffney2008 View Post

Best Buy has the 1913 on sale for $50 off - big deal. Amazon Shopping has shown me a half dozen online retailers that have it for less. As soon as I convince my wife that we need a $500 receiver, I'll place an order.

Better make sure those other retailers are authorized resellers of Denon products.

http://usa.denon.com/US/WhereToBuy/Pages/OnlineETailers.aspx
post #5 of 7 Old 09-03-2012, 09:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 389
My local Fry's puts the 1913 on sale for $299 or $327 every 2-3 weeks...and they're authorized. In fact it was $299 today.

Afro GT
post #6 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post

Better make sure those other retailers are authorized resellers of Denon products.
http://usa.denon.com/US/WhereToBuy/Pages/OnlineETailers.aspx

Good point! Over half of the retailers listed on Google Shopping are not authorized retailers. And, I understand that buying from such a retailer will cause problems in the future with things like warranty, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

My local Fry's puts the 1913 on sale for $299 or $327 every 2-3 weeks...and they're authorized. In fact it was $299 today.

It's $530 right now, and I'd have to mail order it. I live in Sonoma County, and the closest retail outlet is in Concord. Unless it goes on sale, it's at the same price as Amazon.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-05-2012, 04:48 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaffney2008 View Post

Mr. Smoothie:
I checked the Denon 1913 on the Denon website - quite a step up from my Sony receiver! Yes, I can fiddle with the assignable outputs and make my outside speakers do what I want them to. I was a little leery when the Denon owner's manual told me that it won't play a digital source in Zone 2...unless I use the Front B/Amp Assign to set the Front B speakers to parallel the Front A speakers. From my reading of the online Denon manual, this only has to be set once. Then, when I switch to Zone 2, the outside speakers come on in parallel with the inside front speakers, right?

The Surr Back/Amp Assign speakers can either be set to Zone 2 or Front B. If set to Front B, switching to Zone 2 won't do anything. If you don't use STEREO mode in the main zone, you could setup the Front B for STEREO mode and then when you select STEREO mode, the audio would automatically change to just the Front B (or when you want to play the same audio to both zones, simply change the Front Speaker Setup setting to "a+b").

Also note that you'll sometimes get a better deal when you "call" the authorized reseller rather than just going by what is posted on their website. Open box items from authorized resellers will still provide for the full 2 year warranty just as a new in box item will.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page