Yamaha RX-V673 and LG LM7600 Cable TV won't work together to route audio through HDMI (ARC). Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 09-04-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My existing setup :

Yamaha RX-V673 + JBL 145.5 Speakers. Using Polk Audio OWM3 for front speakers. Planning on using the JBL front speakers for Zone 2.

Every thing works. Except for my TV (Cable). I don't have a DVR or Cable box or anything like that. I simply split the incoming cable signal to my modem and to the TV. This is where the problems starts. Neither I nor Yamaha support were able to figure out a way to route audio through receiver speakers when watching cable TV.

I turned ARC 'ON' on both TV and the receiver (HDMI settings, ARC on).

The manual says the receiver defaults to 'AV4' when watching the TV (from the Cable). I don't understand why AV4 is displayed or used when there is no audio cable connected.

All I could do is watch TV with the crappy, built-in speakers.

My last resort would be to use an optical audio cable. It sucks to see that both LM7600 and V673, being 2012 products couldn't perform an advertised HDMI ARC (audio return channel function).

I am using an HDMI cable capable of HDMI, 3D, Ethernet and all the crazy stuff! The rest all components (BluRay, PC, XBox) work fine with receiver's speakers.

Any one who can help troubleshoot this problem is a hero, given that the Yamaha support guy cared less to even blame LG. He just said I cannot figure this out, sorry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 09-04-2012, 01:53 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
Some TVs must also be set to send audio to "external speakers" or "home theater" as well as setting the HDMI-CEC (SimpLink) to ON. Also note, should you have to end up using optical, there is no loss in audio quality, and in some cases it's actually better as some brands (eg. Panasonic) limit the ARC audio to only stereo while allowing DD 5.1 to pass over the optical.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 30 Old 09-04-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestion. I also set the 'external speakers' on abnd HDMI CEC 'on' as well. I will be fine with optical audio cable but am trying to see where the rpoblem lies - LG or Yamaha cos' both are brand new and I might end up returning the one that has this problem - hopefully I will solve this by then. Still baffled by something straightforward as HDMI ARC.
post #4 of 30 Old 09-04-2012, 02:08 PM
585-645-1006

Try powering off all devices and then power on the TV first and then the AVR. You may need to do this a few times.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #5 of 30 Old 09-04-2012, 04:41 PM

I had the yamaha rx-573 and had a similar issue. Whenever there was anything else plugged into one of the hdmi inputs on the receiver, ARC stopped working from the TV. If I unplugged all other inputs, ARC worked perfectly. I returned the receiver and ordered the yamaha rx-a720. We'll see if the issue is still there when the new receiver arrives tomorrow.
post #6 of 30 Old 09-05-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Try powering off all devices and then power on the TV first and then the AVR. You may need to do this a few times.

Tried this but no luck. I even reset the receiver to factory defaults and still no go. Is it a common issue?
post #7 of 30 Old 09-05-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by varchar View Post

I had the yamaha rx-573 and had a similar issue. Whenever there was anything else plugged into one of the hdmi inputs on the receiver, ARC stopped working from the TV. If I unplugged all other inputs, ARC worked perfectly. I returned the receiver and ordered the yamaha rx-a720. We'll see if the issue is still there when the new receiver arrives tomorrow.

Please keep us posted! Looks like A720 is the same price range. I wonder what the major differences are between A720 and V673. The only think I see is the 2 Sub support (zone 1 and zone 2) and the price of course!
post #8 of 30 Old 09-05-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

I had to fight really hard with Newegg regarding the return. They bundled this receiver with JBL 145.5 5.1 speakers for $600. They now want me to keep the speakers for $399 and they say they will refund me $201 for the receiver since the receiver is defective and not the included free gift, the speakers!

I now want to just get rid of the whole setup! Probably I will look for a nice deal on A720.

I know I could solve this with an optical cable that I just bought but I don't get a great feeling about HDMI ARC not working, that too on a $600 receiver!
post #9 of 30 Old 09-06-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkiran View Post

Please keep us posted! Looks like A720 is the same price range. I wonder what the major differences are between A720 and V673. The only think I see is the 2 Sub support (zone 1 and zone 2) and the price of course!

I just received my rx-a720 yesterday. My biggest reason for getting this avr was the zone 2 support ( the rx-v573 only has zone b). there really isn't a huge difference in price, only about $150 so I decided to splurge a bit. I really love it so far. I can honestly tell an audible difference in the sound quality between the two. I'll comment tonight on the ARC issue. It seems to not be a problem with the a720, but I want to give it a day to be sure. I went with a full polk audio sound system and it sounds GREAT so far! Here's my setup. I always buy amazon (prime) because they *never* give me a hassle if I want to return something.

All Polk
center: csi a4,
front L & R: tsi 400
sub: psw110
surround: fxi a4

If I had a do over I would buy a bigger sub. the YPAO has it set to +6.5 db, it sounds good but I think its being overmatched by the other speakers. Also the YPAO set all my speakers to "large". I reset the surrounds and center to small. That seemed to match better. The a720 also has a much better on screen menu. There aren't a ton more options, but its a real beauty to look at.
post #10 of 30 Old 09-06-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I just received my rx-a720 yesterday. My biggest reason for getting this avr was the zone 2 support ( the rx-v573 only has zone b). there really isn't a huge difference in price, only about $150 so I decided to splurge a bit. I really love it so far. I can honestly tell an audible difference in the sound quality between the two. I'll comment tonight on the ARC issue. It seems to not be a problem with the a720, but I want to give it a day to be sure. I went with a full polk audio sound system and it sounds GREAT so far! Here's my setup. I always buy amazon (prime) because they *never* give me a hassle if I want to return something.
All Polk
center: csi a4,
front L & R: tsi 400
sub: psw110
surround: fxi a4
If I had a do over I would buy a bigger sub. the YPAO has it set to +6.5 db, it sounds good but I think its being overmatched by the other speakers. Also the YPAO set all my speakers to "large". I reset the surrounds and center to small. That seemed to match better. The a720 also has a much better on screen menu. There aren't a ton more options, but its a real beauty to look at.

Thank you for the update! I will be all ears to know about the HDMI ARC issue on this receiver. I will never ever purchase a multi-benjamin purchase on NewEgg. Get charged tax, slow shipping and crazy return policy! Still can't believe they wanted me to keep the FREE 5.1 speakers for $399!
post #11 of 30 Old 09-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I am having this same issue with the 55LM7600 and the Yamaha RX-V473. Luckily it doesn't really affect me (I have a cable box and a blu-ray player to stream videos from) but it is annoying to know that they're incompatible. I can't get the Aventage though due to physical size concerns. Bummer.

Edit: I got it to work with my 473. On the AVR, set HDMI control to on and choose an unused input setting for the TV audio (I used the default, AV4). On the TV, go to the Input List, then to Simplink Settings in the bottom right corner. Turn Simplink on. Behind the dialog box, you'll see the red lights on the external speakers turn on. It should work now.

However, they don't play nice. When I switched the TV input back to the 473 and tried to use my cable box (which is connected through the AVR), I got no sound from the speakers. I had to turn Simplink back off and power everything off and on to get it back to "normal."

So it can be done, but it's a PITA.

post #12 of 30 Old 09-07-2012, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Epilogue: In monkeying around with the settings, I discovered that the TV has a very nice DLNA interface (better than the Blu-ray) so now I want to use it instead. So I ordered an optical cable from Monoprice. It's easier to switch audio inputs on the AVR than to wrestle with the HDMI settings on both.

I, like most people around here, cannot leave "well enough" alone...

post #13 of 30 Old 09-07-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you for the update! I will be all ears to know about the HDMI ARC issue on this receiver. I will never ever purchase a multi-benjamin purchase on NewEgg. Get charged tax, slow shipping and crazy return policy! Still can't believe they wanted me to keep the FREE 5.1 speakers for $399!

Sadly, the Yamaha rx-a720 has the exact same problem. If I only have the TV plugged in over HDMI, CEC/ARC works perfectly. If I plug anything into another HDMI port, the ARC stops working from the TV. On my TV (Visio M320SL), it tries to detect the receiver but it can't when anything else is plugged in over HDMI.
post #14 of 30 Old 09-11-2012, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

Epilogue: In monkeying around with the settings, I discovered that the TV has a very nice DLNA interface (better than the Blu-ray) so now I want to use it instead. So I ordered an optical cable from Monoprice. It's easier to switch audio inputs on the AVR than to wrestle with the HDMI settings on both.
I, like most people around here, cannot leave "well enough" alone...

No matter what I do to enable ARC, I fail everytime. A $5 optical cable did the trick though.

I agree about a better DLNA on the TV. The TV rocks, 8600 would have been snappier for apps but yeah, not worth the premium!
post #15 of 30 Old 09-11-2012, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sadly, the Yamaha rx-a720 has the exact same problem. If I only have the TV plugged in over HDMI, CEC/ARC works perfectly. If I plug anything into another HDMI port, the ARC stops working from the TV. On my TV (Visio M320SL), it tries to detect the receiver but it can't when anything else is plugged in over HDMI.

Interestingly enough, I cannot get ARC to work with just the TV alone plugged in either.

One would think the Aventage series will fix this issue but apparently not! Thanks a bunch for the feedback. I might try Marantz for kicks but not quite sure yet. Waiting for better deals.
post #16 of 30 Old 09-12-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:

Interestingly enough, I cannot get ARC to work with just the TV alone plugged in either.
One would think the Aventage series will fix this issue but apparently not! Thanks a bunch for the feedback. I might try Marantz for kicks but not quite sure yet. Waiting for better deals.

Oddly enough, I still love the rx-a720. Its got that one (glaring) bug with ARC, but other than that I've had no issues. The sound quality is a noticeable improvement over the v573.
post #17 of 30 Old 09-14-2012, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Since the bug persists in A720, I am sticking to the V673. I am using an optical cable, cost me $5 and all is good!
post #18 of 30 Old 10-28-2012, 07:58 PM

Hi,

I have 55LM9600 with V673, facing same problem. Any update on this? Did anyone solved it?
second option is to optical cable? No HDMI

Regards
post #19 of 30 Old 10-29-2012, 04:42 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Since the bug persists in A720, I am sticking to the V673. I am using an optical cable, cost me $5 and all is good!

Also note that using optical from the TV (instead of ARC) allows passing of DD 5.1 audio (eg. Netflix movies) while on some TVs (eg. Panasonic), ARC audio is limited to only PCM 2.0 audio.

post #20 of 30 Old 10-29-2012, 04:03 PM

I have the 55LM7600 and a Pioneer VSX-522-K receiver with ARC issues....Have tried literally every conceivable configuration as far as setting options on both units....Audio comes on and goes off every 5 seconds or so....Then after messing with it for 30 minutes it works! But I've tried so many different things i'm not sure which was the "good" one...i actually got it to work with ARC turned off on the tv a few days ago....but once I change inputs on the receiver ARC isn't working when i go back to watching tv....Tried numerous hi speed hdmi cables, unplugged all hdmi sources, unplugged the power on everything and none of it made any difference...

anyway, I give up....i'm returning the receiver for a Denon....i initially got the Pioneer free....so I will have to pay a few bucks for the Denon but i just want the friggin thing to work! One cool thing about ARC working was i didn't need to use the receivers remote....

I'll check back once i get the Denon and let you all know how that worked out....
post #21 of 30 Old 10-30-2012, 02:58 PM

I contacted the store I got the Pioneer receiver from and explained my ARC issues and they weren't sure of a fix either....So they're replacing it with a AVR-1913 and a few bucks from me....that being said...I've now figured out a way that ARC (so far) is consistently working....Here are my settings:

55LM7600...Simplink=On....Auto Power=Off
Arc Mode=On...Internal Speaker=Off...Digital Sound Out=Auto....

Pioneer VSX-522-K....ARC=On....HDMI=AMP (other choice on this receiver is "through")

As i said in an earlier post i've tried everything...evidently i hadn't tried this....

I have 4 HDMI devices attached to the Pioneer receiver and the LG TV connected from HDMI Out (receiver) to HDMI 1 (LG)....btw, no cable box....just OTA...

leave the tv off....turn on the receiver and choose an HDMI source other than the tv and make sure the source you choose is turned off...then turn off the receiver...

Then turn on the tv...press Simplink and choose the HT Speaker...Even though i have the internal speaker turned off it is defaulting to it when the receiver is turned off...go figure....

Turn on the receiver....The Pioneer defaults to the source i chose last before turning it off....wait a few seconds and then select the TV as the source....

This has worked every time i've tried it today...

Of course this is after i decided to return it and get the Denon...figures huh....

I apologize in advance if this is confusing as hell....let me know if this works for you....
post #22 of 30 Old 10-31-2012, 01:01 PM

Well that was short lived.....worked the first 3 times i tried....4th time through 10th time didn't work at all...i'm definitely done now!
post #23 of 30 Old 11-20-2012, 01:28 AM

bNormal........I have exactly the same problem....My config is as below

Pioneer-HTP-071, its 4 HDMI inputs are all connected, and the HDMI out is connected to LG LM7600's HDMI1 port. Read all manuals, jiggled all wires, sometimes, Audio from TV (I used a USB Key on the TV to play some music) plays flawlessly, othertime, it starts and then stops, and starts again and stops...very annoying...but the sequence as recommended in the Pioneer manual for ARC to work is...

1. TV should be with ARC on, Simplink On

2. Turn receiver on first and then the TV.........other sources connected to Pioneer should be off, but this may not be required, as long as Pioneer is set to 'TV'

The above is supposed to work...but don't know why the audio goes on for about 2 secs, and stops for 5 secs and so on.....at times, it plays flawlessly :-( Don't know where to start the debugging....and just saw your post....so, thought I would comment

Sreenath
post #24 of 30 Old 12-09-2012, 04:03 PM

I have the LG 55LM7600. I have it hooked up to a Yamaha RX-v373 which has HDMI1 with ARC. Up until about 5-6 days ago, this was all working perfectly. My set up was HDMI cable between V373 HDMI OUT and the TV's HDMI1 (ARC enabled), I have a Panasonic BDplayer hooked up via HDMI cable to HDMI1 input on the V373, I had my cable box (Verizon FIOS) connected to the V373 via HDMI input HDMI2. I renamed the HDMI2 on the V373 to "TV" because it was where the TV signal was coming from. This was working perfectly for about a month. Then my wife got a Samsung tablet with some app by a company named Peel that is supposed to let you use the tablet as a TV remote. I regret it now, but I just wanted to see how it worked. I started the app and started to go through the settings. At some point, I decided it was getting too complicated to set up, so I stopped - just backing out of the app. AND SUDDENLY - I lost the video to my TV! It's as if the HDMI1 input on the TV stopped working. I was still getting audio from the cable box and from the BD player - just no video. After trying every setting I could think of and trying to understand the settings from the V373 manual, I was tearing my hair out! I did find a work around. Instead of connecting the cable box to the V373 HDMI2 input, I ran it directly into the TV HDMI2 input. I have to manually change the TV input to HDMI2, but that is working for me. No idea what I did to the HDMI1 ARC enabled input on the TV, but it isn't working. Does this work around help any one? Has anyone found a solution to get back the video and audio on the HDMI1 ARC input on the TV? Any help will be appreciated.
post #25 of 30 Old 12-10-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
so far we've got reports of problems with Pioneer and Yamaha receivers with LG sets. I'll add Onkyo as I had a full afternoon of frustration trying to get ARC to work. eventually succeeded but decided to disable ARC and simplink etc. and just go back to using my BD player and/or ps3 for online streaming. If I decide I want to use the tv's internet stuff I'll go the optical cable route. What I'm getting at here is that the problem is showing up with a variety of receiver brands but only with one tv brand which would indicate that the fault is more likely to be with the LG sets than with any one brand of receivers.

In all other aspects I'm very happy with my LG set and my Onkyo receiver so I'm keeping both even though I am within my return period on both. Maybe LG will come up with a firmware update to alleviate the problem but until or unless they do I'll still have a satisfactory workaround.

Steve S.
post #26 of 30 Old 12-11-2012, 11:07 AM

So I reported this issue to Best Buy, where I bought my TV (LG 55LM7600) and receiver (Yamaha RX-V373). I bought a service policy on the TV. I explained the issue as best I could, and made an appointment for them to come out and fix the issue. Honestly, I was almost convinced the issue was with the receiver and not the TV, but I was going to let them tell me that if that was the case. The day before my appointment, the BB GeekSquad calls me to ask for a serial number and service code on the TV. They've apparently diagnosced the issue and need to order a new controller and power supply. I have to say I'm a little skeptical that that is at the heart of the issue, but my own diagnosis is that something happened to the HDMI1 ARC enabled input on the TV. Maybe they are aware of some ongoing issue with the LG TV? In any case, I have a workaround, which allows me to watch my TV and enjoy the benefit of the AV Receiver, but the input/output switching is a bit cludgy. My wife needs me to turn the TV on so she can watch it because she doesn't know how to match the ins and outs. They'll be here to fix it early next week (Dec 18), so I'll post again after that to let everyone know if the replacement parts do the trick.
post #27 of 30 Old 12-11-2012, 02:12 PM

FWIW i returned the Pioneer receiver and got the Denon AVR-1913 and with the LG 55LM7600 ARC works flawlessly....
post #28 of 30 Old 02-26-2013, 07:34 PM

Hi Guys,

I have the LG 55ML6700 and Yamaha RX-V573 - add this combo to the list. The ARC worked, didn't work for a while, started working and now nothing. All new gear.

Did anyone have any luck using an Optical cable?

Cheers.
post #29 of 30 Old 03-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

I have the optical cable and it works perfectly. At least with the 7600 (and I would suspect your 6700 as well), the TV outputs 5.1 audio over optical when the TV generates the signal (i.e., OTA tuner, playing video files, and streaming apps that support it).

post #30 of 30 Old 04-06-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:

I was just hooking up a RX-V673 and getting annoyed because ARC wouldn't work. I have an LG 42LV5500.
After I disconnected my bluray player from the receiver (only other device connected) the ARC seems to work.
For what it's worth, I've had the same TV hooked up to an Onkyo TX-NR709 and it had no issues with ARC.
When ARC isn't working - everything seems to sync fine. I can control receiver volume, it'll turn the receiver on, etc...just no audio.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page