Yamaha RX-A820 - Infrared (IR) receiver extender? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 09-05-2012, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Does anyone know what IR extender to use with the Yamaha RX-A820 receiver? So far I have tried:

Cables to Go 40432 Single Infrared Emitter (9 usd at Amazon) - NG (not good), mono-plug, no response from receiver.
Motorola Style IR Remote Input Cable (13 USD, ir blaster) - NG, stereo plug, no response from receiver.

The second one works OK with my Motorola Timewarner DVR box.

What else can I try? Do anyone have a success story with an IR emitter and the Yamaha RX-A820? I would like to avoid building it from scratch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-05-2012, 10:08 PM

Liked: 53
You have connect the Yamaha remote out to a powered connecting block (repeater) and connect the IR to the data (tip) and ground (sleeve). It won't power an emitter or blaster directly. The input cable would need a connecting block as well as that needs to be powered.

You are probably better off getting an IR repeater kit for your components. With the Yamaha you can use a mono plug to go from the emitter port on a repeater kit to the remote in on the Yamaha. That way you don't need to have an emitter stuck on the front of it. If you have other components with remote in capability them you can connect it to the remote out from the Yamaha if you run out of emitter ports on the connecting block. Normally, I would just run everything off the repeater.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-06-2012, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

You have connect the Yamaha remote out to a powered connecting block (repeater) and connect the IR to the data (tip) and ground (sleeve). It won't power an emitter or blaster directly. The input cable would need a connecting block as well as that needs to be powered.
You are probably better off getting an IR repeater kit for your components. With the Yamaha you can use a mono plug to go from the emitter port on a repeater kit to the remote in on the Yamaha. That way you don't need to have an emitter stuck on the front of it. If you have other components with remote in capability them you can connect it to the remote out from the Yamaha if you run out of emitter ports on the connecting block. Normally, I would just run everything off the repeater.

I might have been unclear in my initial post or I don't fully understand your reply. I have my receiver inside a cabinet with a closed door. I need to relay the IR-signal from the Yamaha remote. My understanding is that I should use the "remote in". Remote out is used for controlling "other" devices?
All my other devices already have external "IR eyes/receivers" like my Motorola cablebox and Asrock htpc, the PS3 is bluetooth.
post #4 of 16 Old 09-06-2012, 04:22 PM

Yes you need an external eye (IR receiver). The Yamaha will not power an eye itself like the cable box does. You need an IR repeater. Just to be clear on terminology. An emitter (aka flasher) is what sends the signal to the component. Usually, they are placed directly over the components IR sensor, somewhere on the front face of the unit. A blaster is similar to an emitter but instead of being placed directly on the component it is placed in line of sight of it and can reach multiple components within its blasting area, not usually used in cabinets. You need something like this. Put IR receiver in Amazon or a search engine and you will see many of these kits. Xantech is kind of the standard and they make a lot of different models and accessories.

http://www.xantech.com/files/data_sheets/566_IR_Receiver_Guide_2010.pdf

If you look at the diagram with the emitters that attach to the components, you can connect a 1/8" mono cable from the emitter port to the 'remote in' instead of sticking an emitter to the front of the Yamaha. The 'remote in' is basically designed for RF control systems that have IR emitter ports like URC, RTI, Control 4, etc. Because reliability is higher if you use that 'remote in' instead of an emitter. Emitters might fall off or someone dusting might accidentally knock them off.

One of these IR kits would have enough emitters for each of your devices so you don't need multiple eyes/ receivers. Many of these kits can power dual emitters so a 4 port IR kit could have 8 devices connected to it. You can also get kits that have more ports if needed.

I hope I explained this well.
drroy likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-06-2012, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 77
http://www.smarthome.com/81229BK/Xantech-HL95BK-Universal-Hidden-Link-IR-Receiver-Kit-Black/p.aspx

This is the Xantech kit I bought. Works great, but didn't originally suggest
because at $190 way over intended budget. The other high end brand of
ir repeater is Niles. Their kit is another $100 more!

There are some $25 wireless ir repeaters around, but don't work very well.
drroy likes this.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-08-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post

http://www.smarthome.com/81229BK/Xantech-HL95BK-Universal-Hidden-Link-IR-Receiver-Kit-Black/p.aspx
This is the Xantech kit I bought. Works great, but didn't originally suggest
because at $190 way over intended budget. The other high end brand of
ir repeater is Niles. Their kit is another $100 more!
There are some $25 wireless ir repeaters around, but don't work very well.

Right, at the time I was not sure what was needed to make it work. I was hoping it would just be the "eye".

I bought the Xantech kit from Amazon ($164 shipped with 2-day prime). The mono cables are a bit tricky to find, I checked with monoprice but they only have stereo 3.5mm cables.
Its just a plain 3.5mm (1/8 inch) mono plug that I need? Found one 2 ft one at amazon for 3 bucks shipped. I could not find anything at bestbuy or Frys. Somewhere else I should check?

Thanks for the help BobL and kikkenit2

smile.gif
post #7 of 16 Old 09-08-2012, 01:58 PM

A plain 1/8 mono plug is what you need. you can always put the emitter on the front of the device the mono plug is just neater and more reliable. Something like this should work.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102950

Here is another source.
http://www.pchcables.com/3moca18in.html
post #8 of 16 Old 09-09-2012, 05:56 PM

I just received a Next generation rf converter which I am charging up and will try with my RX-A820. I'll post here to let you know how it works.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-10-2012, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

A plain 1/8 mono plug is what you need. you can always put the emitter on the front of the device the mono plug is just neater and more reliable. Something like this should work.
Here is another source.

Found it at "the shack", picked it up last night. The Xantech kit arrives tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreintg View Post

I just received a Next generation rf converter which I am charging up and will try with my RX-A820. I'll post here to let you know how it works.

Cool, let us know.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-10-2012, 01:34 PM

I am happy to report that the Next Generation RF extender works beautifully with the RX-A820 and also my old RX-V650. It is going through 3 walls and about 40 feet. You can find it online for about $40. I am not using it as a direct connect to the receiver but in front of front panel IR sensor.
post #11 of 16 Old 09-10-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreintg View Post

I am happy to report that the Next Generation RF extender works beautifully with the RX-A820 and also my old RX-V650. It is going through 3 walls and about 40 feet. You can find it online for about $40. I am not using it as a direct connect to the receiver but in front of front panel IR sensor.

Thanks for letting us know.
Quote:

Here is another source.

I received the Xantech-kit today. However it would not talk to my RX-A820 using either the mono-plug from RS nor the included emitters from Xantech. On the off-chance I connected up the Cables-to-go emitter (40432) and voila, it worked. I tested the same Xantech emitter with both my Motorola DCX-3400 and my Xbox (1) dvd-dongle and it worked so the part is good.
post #12 of 16 Old 11-02-2012, 02:44 PM

I have the Xantech ML85K. I just hooked up my Yamaha A820 2 days ago and it has been working flawlessly with the Xantech IR emitter stuck to the front of it.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-13-2012, 06:04 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Ok So what your saying is regardless of the picture in the manual the IR remote output of the Yamaha it will not drive an emitter? Would it drive a Niles repeater in some manner? I have a Niles MSU250 would its input accept the yamaha ir output?
post #14 of 16 Old 12-14-2012, 11:54 AM

If you have an MSU 250 you are probably best using that as the IR repeater. You can go from the flasher output into the IR in of the Yamaha. Then you can use the IR out of the Yamaha to go into another component's IR in or you should be able to attach a flasher. But if I were using a repeater system I would just use the flashers out of the MSU-250 even I had to use dual flashers in one port instead of daisy chaining between components.
post #15 of 16 Old 12-15-2012, 06:07 PM

Liked: 11
What I'm trying to do is utilize the infrared sensor in my tv a pioneer elite. It has an ir output the I have fed into the yamaha and it operates it just fine and the yamaha ir output also can drive the input in my blu ray player. However it will not work on my cable box and I'd like to find a way besides another external ir receiver to accomplish this.
post #16 of 16 Old 12-16-2012, 05:15 AM

You can use a dual emitter(flasher) and cut off the emitter and wire an 1/8" jack to them. You can make your own splitter as well. Use this y adapter out of the TVs IR out to the IR input of the Yamaha and BR Player and use an emitter (flasher) out of the Yamaha to your cable box.

Another method would be to take the output from TV and put it into the MSU unit. You can use your TV as the IR receiver no problem. Just connect the wire to the Data(Tip) and Ground(sleeve). Then you can go from the MSU unit to all your other devices with either a jack or a flasher. This would be the best solution in my opinion.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page