Factory Refurbished & Reconditioned verse NEW - Thoughts? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-05-2012, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I am on a $300-$500 for a nice 5.1 surround receiver. Ive been looking around and you can get some pretty NICE deals if you go the refurbished & reconditioned route. Few questions:

1. What is refurbished verse reconditioned?

2. Do you think at my price point, getting one refurbished/reconditioned is better bang for buck?

3. I have been looking at a "Onkyo Factory Refurbished" TX-SR608 (link) for $269.99 .

The store in the link above has many other refurbished receivers,, but my brother has an Onkyo and he really likes it so I am leaning towards an Onkyo. Amazon & Newegg both seemed to have given this model great reviews.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-05-2012, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I can't answer your question related to refurbished verse reconditioned, but I can offer my opinion.

I have purchased "B" Stock Receivers from accessories4less a couple of times (1 Onkyo and 1 Marantz) with no issues. They both came with a 1 year warranty which I never needed to use. The warranty is is not as long as one from "A" stock, but I figure most issues would happen during that 1st year.

I have recently helped my parents swap out 2 older receivers that they purchased back in 1991. Both had their own issues, an they were looking for HDMI. The problem is that the new receivers have video out issues that Onkyo Support is still not able to fix. The receiver you mention is not one of the affected model #'s, so no worries there.

In short, my opinion, you can have issues with A Stock or B Stock. Just make sure that you are buying from an authorized dealer with a valid warranty.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-06-2012, 03:54 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
AC4L is often recommended in this forum for refurbished items as they generally come with a 1 year warranty (and if purchased with a credit card, the card provider may add an additional year, Amex does this for sure). Also check on new units from last year that are on clearance sale at authorized resellers.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 5 Old 09-06-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice guys! I now feel confident buying a refurbed unit.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-06-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I've bought refurbs that were basically new and I've bought some that failed within a couple of years. Buying a used receiver is no different from buying a used car. You're rolling the dice.

I avoid Onkyo in general because they have too many issues. I would avoid their B stock even more.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page