What Amp for B&W CM5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-06-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently bought a pair of Bowers and Wilkins CM5 bookshelf speakers. Being new to the audiophile community, I've been trying to find a good amp to pair with it. Here are some of my requirements:
2.1 channel (I need a subwoofer for this system as well)
good quality built in DAC (as well as optical input)
minimum 80 watts per channel (more if possible)
My price range is $500-$700 for the amp and $300-$500 for the subwoofer.
The room that they will be listened to in is about 12ft x 14ft with 10 foot ceilings and wood floors.

Also, my listening is a mix of alternative rock, progressive house, electro, and classical. Really, for the subwoofer, I'm looking for something that does have some kick to it but is still very tight and clean.

So I guess my question is what 2.1 channel amplifiers in my price range work well with CM5's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-06-2012, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
The CM5s are fairly easy to drive. Have you considered an AVR? With an AVR you get the DACs and bass management. In the $500-700 range there are also some nice integrated amps or receivers. Most do not have bass management. The Outlaw RR2150 is a stereo receiver with a USB DAC as well as bass management. Another cheaper option is the Harman Kardon 3490. The 3490 has an onboard DAC with one optical and one coaxial connection. It also features duel subwoofer jacks but no bass management.

HT: CM9 S2 FR/FL, CMC2 S1, CM5 S1 surrounds, ASW610; Yamaha rx-a2030; Parasound Halo P5; Parasound Halo A23; Oppo BDP-93; ATV
2 Channel (computer setup): Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 NrT FR/FL, ASW608; Parasound Zpre2; Parasound Zampv3; Parasound Zdac; Parasound Zphono; Rega RP1; Marantz CD5004

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #3 of 5 Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been looking at AVR's however, I think it may have too many unused features. I was looking at the Harman Kardon 3490 and although I haven't heard it yet, it seems to possibly sacrifice a little too much on sound quality from what I've read. The outlaw RR2150 on the other hand looks quite promising. It's within my price range, has 2.1 channels, 100 watts per channel, and an onboard DAC. Bass management is just an added bonus.

Do you have any recommendations for subwoofers that would match the CM5's and RR2150?
post #4 of 5 Old 09-08-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
Sounds like a reasonable choice. You might head over to the subwoofers forum for more ideas but off the top of my head I would recommend something from HSU research, Rhythmik, or SVS depending on what your budget is. How big will your listening area be? This is of course important when deciding on what subwoofer to purchase.

HT: CM9 S2 FR/FL, CMC2 S1, CM5 S1 surrounds, ASW610; Yamaha rx-a2030; Parasound Halo P5; Parasound Halo A23; Oppo BDP-93; ATV
2 Channel (computer setup): Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 NrT FR/FL, ASW608; Parasound Zpre2; Parasound Zampv3; Parasound Zdac; Parasound Zphono; Rega RP1; Marantz CD5004

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #5 of 5 Old 02-09-2013, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Did you ever go with an amp for these? I own them as well as the matching center being pushed from a Denon 3312 and I am looking to amp them and have been searching the interwebs without much luck to see what guys are amping these things with. I was looking at something 150-200 wpc range

3 things in life my father said to me

1. Deny till death
2. If you dont sleep with her, someone else will
3. If it dont fit, force it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors