Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 302 Old 06-19-2013, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

You can easily set it up manually without a mic, but you can't run YPAO (which is the auto setup). You just have to enter speaker distances manually, and balance the speaker levels using the built-in test tones (a sound meter helps for the last part, but you can get close by ear). Set all speakers as SMALL and choose a crossover frequency appropriate for your speakers.

The 720 does not EQ the sub (whether you use YPAO or not). YPAO EQ for the main speakers is overrated frankly, and is unlikely to make a night and day difference. Set the sub level to get the amount of bass you want, and use the treble control if the overall sound is too bright or not bright enough. You can play with the EQ manually if you really want to.

How important is EQ sub feature in receiver? What are the value 7.1 systems with sub EQ feature and specifications I need to look out for. Previous owner left me JBL L8400P subwoofer and JBL speakers (7.1 system) in media room. I have Definitive supercube III subwoofer and speaker system (5.1) in living room. I am trying to get receiver for media room to start with.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 302 Old 06-19-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 161
It depends a lot on your room (size, shape and treatments), and whether you have the sub in the optimum location in that room. Those things can reduce the need for sub EQ, but often it will still make a significant difference.

Low-end receivers that EQ the sub probably won't do a very good job, but you can get dedicated sub EQ systems starting at $100 or so (although they aren't necessarily automatic to set up).
post #273 of 302 Old 06-27-2013, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New to site (though I have read/used it a lot) and new to the Rx-a720. I picked this up from BB for $400 due to a mistake they made. I was going to buy a 673, but happened upon this deal and couldn't pass it up!

That aside, the receiver is great. Sound quality is amazing. Extremely crisp and clear; I chose to set it up manually. I am running 7 speakers and cannot withstand anything over -30. I hear reproductions in music and movies I hadn't heard previously.

My only complaint is the lack of bass it produces. Granted I do not have a powered subwoofer hooked up to it, but I do have a passive bose acoustimass unit running off of the front towers. On my 15 year old sony receiver it shook the house easily with the bass adjusted to about 60%. With this unit, with the exception of some movie scenes, it just really has nothing. The bass to all of the front, surrounds and presence speakers is about perfect...nice and tight and clear yet mild, not over driving as I hear on many systems. Just disappointed that with bass turned on max that this is all it outputs.

How much would I benefit from adding a powered sub? Also, if I utilize 7 channel mode I think I read that the powered sub does not play. Is this true?

FWIW, below is my speaker setup:

Front towers: Pioneer S-H453-K
Surrounds: Pioneer S-H153-K
Presence: Pioneer S-H153-K
Center: Pioneer S-H053-K
Bose Acoustimass passive "sub"
post #274 of 302 Old 06-27-2013, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 45
You'd greatly benefit from a good subwoofer (or 2).
allargon likes this.
post #275 of 302 Old 06-28-2013, 08:16 AM

Liked: 16
New firnware on the Yamaha website. V 180
post #276 of 302 Old 06-29-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeZrr View Post

New to site (though I have read/used it a lot) and new to the Rx-a720. I picked this up from BB for $400 due to a mistake they made. I was going to buy a 673, but happened upon this deal and couldn't pass it up!

That aside, the receiver is great. Sound quality is amazing. Extremely crisp and clear; I chose to set it up manually. I am running 7 speakers and cannot withstand anything over -30. I hear reproductions in music and movies I hadn't heard previously.

My only complaint is the lack of bass it produces. Granted I do not have a powered subwoofer hooked up to it, but I do have a passive bose acoustimass unit running off of the front towers. On my 15 year old sony receiver it shook the house easily with the bass adjusted to about 60%. With this unit, with the exception of some movie scenes, it just really has nothing. The bass to all of the front, surrounds and presence speakers is about perfect...nice and tight and clear yet mild, not over driving as I hear on many systems. Just disappointed that with bass turned on max that this is all it outputs.

How much would I benefit from adding a powered sub? Also, if I utilize 7 channel mode I think I read that the powered sub does not play. Is this true?

FWIW, below is my speaker setup:

Front towers: Pioneer S-H453-K
Surrounds: Pioneer S-H153-K
Presence: Pioneer S-H153-K
Center: Pioneer S-H053-K
Bose Acoustimass passive "sub"

I am using a Bic Formula F12 sub with my system, and although it isn't super highly regarded, I really like it. it is pretty powerful, works great for movies, and is not bad at all with music. I always listen to music in 2 channel stereo. You can get it for less than $200. Here is the link to the discussion for the sub. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1116093/bic-america-f12-sub-anyone and a link to the Amazon page for it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015A8Y5M/ref=s9_subs_c2_s1_p23_t1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1SGC3AV185H4EZ9645EZ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383371&pf_rd_i=507846
post #277 of 302 Old 06-30-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevePMo View Post

I am using a Bic Formula F12 sub with my system, and although it isn't super highly regarded, I really like it. it is pretty powerful, works great for movies, and is not bad at all with music. I always listen to music in 2 channel stereo. You can get it for less than $200. Here is the link to the discussion for the sub. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1116093/bic-america-f12-sub-anyone and a link to the Amazon page for it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015A8Y5M/ref=s9_subs_c2_s1_p23_t1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1SGC3AV185H4EZ9645EZ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383371&pf_rd_i=507846

Thanks!! Good read about the sub. I still have some research to do, but am thinking that this may be the one I try.
post #278 of 302 Old 07-06-2013, 01:07 PM

Hi All, just got my 720 and so far so good except two things. Whne i use my airport express my apple remote will work in the main room but not on zone 2. Another thing, where is the setting that will ensure commercials are not so loud? thanks
post #279 of 302 Old 07-07-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Most people say for under $200 the sub to get is the Dayton 12". The Infinity is ok, too. That Bic is still a great choice.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-629

The OP just needs a powered sub. The best choice is DIY or one of the nice Hsu/JBL/SVS, but there's always a budget.
post #280 of 302 Old 07-08-2013, 09:32 PM

You're not alone with your take on the bass performance; it's severely lacking (read: disappointing). It simply does not send out enough of a signal to the amp, even with all the sub settings cranked, and crossover at max. I suspect that it's something in the firmware, and I really hope it will be fixed with a future firmware update.
post #281 of 302 Old 07-09-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angleton View Post

You're not alone with your take on the bass performance; it's severely lacking (read: disappointing). It simply does not send out enough of a signal to the amp, even with all the sub settings cranked, and crossover at max. I suspect that it's something in the firmware, and I really hope it will be fixed with a future firmware update.
. I have not had this problem with mine at all, even before updating my firmware. Bass was fine , even before I ran YPAO.
post #282 of 302 Old 07-09-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:

. I have not had this problem with mine at all, even before updating my firmware. Bass was fine , even before I ran YPAO.

"Fine" can be pretty relative. I get a pretty consistent ~20 dB clip out of the sub pre-outs relative to the input signal - even when the processing is supposedly off ("Straight" mode - all other settings at default). Now, I can reduce this a bit by changing settings to heavily favor the sub (all other speakers at -10, sub at +10), but I haven't been able to eliminate it.
post #283 of 302 Old 07-09-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angleton View Post

"Fine" can be pretty relative. I get a pretty consistent ~20 dB clip out of the sub pre-outs relative to the input signal - even when the processing is supposedly off ("Straight" mode - all other settings at default). Now, I can reduce this a bit by changing settings to heavily favor the sub (all other speakers at -10, sub at +10), but I haven't been able to eliminate it.

I don't know the technical numbers, but when watching movies, the bass is strong where it needs to be, I watched Prometheus last week, and there was a scene with a low rumble, and I could feel it in the floor. and I have not boosted the sub in the setup, or cut the other speakers. I am not saying others don't have problems, I am just sharing my experience, and on my 720, bass seems normal to me, compared to my old Denon.
post #284 of 302 Old 08-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
hello all,

will this receiver pass a hdmi signal while on off / stand by mode?
currently i'm using an anthem avm pre-amp with no hdmi
i'll have to send my wife to an av seminar to understand how all this works.

June
"IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
post #285 of 302 Old 08-06-2013, 03:56 PM

Yes it will, you have to go into the menu and enable it. Go to Setup. HDMI, Standby Through, and switch that to "On" The only thing you need to know, is that when it is enabled, your receiver uses more power when in standby.
post #286 of 302 Old 08-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsonjune View Post

i'll have to send my wife to an av seminar to understand how all this works.
I strongly suggest getting one of the Harmony remotes for your wife. If she wants to watch tv she justs pushes the "watch tv" button. Same for music, movies, etc. It switches on all applicable devices, selects the correct inputs. Goes a long way to soothe the technophobes apprehension.
post #287 of 302 Old 08-18-2013, 08:55 PM

Liked: 11
Any ideas on where to a setup mic for an A-720. I picked up an open box from Best Buy without the mic and it's almost $40 to get one from Yamaha. I've seen it slightly cheaper from the newremotecontrol site. I think I'll be missing out if I only manually input the speaker distances. I also couldn't find how to set the crossover in manual setup, I'm not sure if you need to use YPAO to set the crossover, which requires the mic.
post #288 of 302 Old 08-18-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfdad123 View Post

Any ideas on where to a setup mic for an A-720. I picked up an open box from Best Buy without the mic and it's almost $40 to get one from Yamaha. I've seen it slightly cheaper from the newremotecontrol site. I think I'll be missing out if I only manually input the speaker distances. I also couldn't find how to set the crossover in manual setup, I'm not sure if you need to use YPAO to set the crossover, which requires the mic.

To set the crossover go to Setup, Speaker, Manual Setup, Configuration, then look for "Bass Cross Over" You do not need the mic to set the crossover.
post #289 of 302 Old 08-20-2013, 06:56 AM

Thanks. I'm on vacation at the moment so I'll try when I get home.
post #290 of 302 Old 08-26-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:

To set the crossover go to Setup, Speaker, Manual Setup, Configuration, then look for "Bass Cross Over" You do not need the mic to set the crossover.

Found it, thanks. I'm testing it out now and with a bluray playing the display keeps switching back and forth between saying DTS-HD MSTR and DTS-ES Mtrx. Is this normal?
post #291 of 302 Old 10-03-2013, 08:13 AM

Hi Guys,

New to the forum and embarking on a basement remodel that will include updating my surround. I've got a 15 year old Yamaha Pro-Logic unit now that still works great, so I'm planning to stick with Yamaha.

That said, my local retailer has an A720 (last one in his inventory, NIB) for $499. I'm about 3 months away from needing it, but this seems like a good deal. Usually I'd take more time to research, but I don't want this to end up in someone else's system by waiting too long. Is this as good a deal as it seems?

Thanks!
post #292 of 302 Old 10-03-2013, 06:25 PM

I bought mine about 5 months ago ( I think ) open box, but seemingly unused, for $450. Regular price was $650 I believe when it was new. I like mine, sounds good, and is more than i will ever need.
post #293 of 302 Old 10-04-2013, 04:58 PM

Pulled the trigger today. Anything comparable that I would buy would end up costing me $650, so in my mind I got a good deal. Now I've got to finish this basement remodel so I can fire it up!
post #294 of 302 Old 10-13-2013, 10:12 PM

Hi everyone,

I just got a new (refurbished) rx-a720, and it seems to be working well, except for one thing -- the volume doesn't get loud until almost all the way up. Normal volume for me is about -10, which is about 75% or 80% of the way up on the scale. I can't even hear anything until the bar is about half-way up...the bottom end of the scale is basically wasted. And, I feel that in general the volume isn't as loud at all as my old Onkyo receiver which, to be fair, is much heavier and probably has a lot more power. But still...

Anyway, just wanted to get your thoughts on this and see if others have the same results, or if mine is possibly defective in some way.

Thanks!
post #295 of 302 Old 10-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsutton01 View Post

Hi everyone,

I just got a new (refurbished) rx-a720, and it seems to be working well, except for one thing -- the volume doesn't get loud until almost all the way up. Normal volume for me is about -10, which is about 75% or 80% of the way up on the scale. I can't even hear anything until the bar is about half-way up...the bottom end of the scale is basically wasted. And, I feel that in general the volume isn't as loud at all as my old Onkyo receiver which, to be fair, is much heavier and probably has a lot more power. But still...

Anyway, just wanted to get your thoughts on this and see if others have the same results, or if mine is possibly defective in some way.

Thanks!
What speakers are you running? and how far back from the receiver are you sitting?
post #296 of 302 Old 10-17-2013, 04:37 PM

Did you check in the menu and see if maybe your speakers are set to a negative value? Go to Setup, Speakers, Manual Setup, Level, and see what the settings are there. Maybe try doing a full reset of the receiver, and see if that helps, it was discussed in this thread a page or two back. On my 720, I usually watch regular TV at about -35, some channels higher, some a little lower. I have never had mine cranked to -10. Did you run YPAO?
Meyer23 likes this.
post #297 of 302 Old 11-20-2013, 11:42 AM

I feel like I am in a AA meeting,

Well anyway, hello everyone, I got a closeout sale a720 at BB.
Couple of things coming from an RX-V2700, its lighter and two subwoofer outputs and the Android app.

One complaint is that I thought the 7.2 was always on regardless of the Zone 2 on or off. That sucks to me and I dont remember if the v2700 could handle 7.2 + Zone 2.

Also, the Dolby Pro Lo II looses the subwoofer or tones it down, but the NEO 6 brings it back. Why is that?

I played around with the 7 channel settings, distance, levels, I cant get the right mixture. It also affects it if I use the pre programmed surround effects. I have a B&W CC6 I think center channel, I had to lower the lower freq and bring up the highs to get some sound. As well as raise the level to overcome the rest of the speakers.
I also got some coaxial (regular tv cable) with RCA adapters for my Sunfire sub (2nd sub), but got no sound. Is coaxial ok to use or do I have to get subwoofer rca cables?

Thanks everyone.
post #298 of 302 Old 11-21-2013, 06:12 AM

Figured out that the Sunfire is not working properly. Oh well.
post #299 of 302 Old 11-24-2013, 08:12 AM

Question to all you smart folks: I am duplicating my display from my windows pc. When I run it straight to my TV. Video is smooth. But of course I want to run it to the receiver so I can the surround sound. However, the problem is there is artifacting meaning like there is lines that run through videos and games during playback. It does not happen when I run the HDMI from my pc directly to my TV only when I run through the receiver do I see artifacting. Do you know why that is? Any suggestions on how I could fix this?

post #300 of 302 Old 01-02-2014, 08:15 AM

Hi All,
I have the unit in the family room (with TV, etc.), and like to power ceiling speakers in the adjoining kitchen. I have no use for playing different audio in a separate zone.

So, I want to play the same audio simultaneously in family room and in kitchen.

Is there a way to use the Zone 2 inputs to do this?

Thx.
Nick
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A720 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - A720 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page