Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 308 Old 02-16-2014, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerchris33 View Post

Question to all you smart folks: I am duplicating my display from my windows pc. When I run it straight to my TV. Video is smooth. But of course I want to run it to the receiver so I can the surround sound. However, the problem is there is artifacting meaning like there is lines that run through videos and games during playback. It does not happen when I run the HDMI from my pc directly to my TV only when I run through the receiver do I see artifacting. Do you know why that is? Any suggestions on how I could fix this?

Sorry for the delay, I don't visit here much any more. A couple of suggestions: First, try using a different HDMI input on the AVR. If that doesn't do anything for you, maybe check your video mode setting. If it is set to "processing," some sort of interaction between the output signal of your PC and the processing the AVR is trying to do may result in artifacts. That setting is accessed via the Option button just above and to the right of the circular arrow controls on the remote. "Video Mode" is the last thing in the "Option" menu that pops up. If it is set on "Processing" try switching it to "Direct" and see if it solves your problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 308 Old 04-17-2014, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Zone 2 question.

Hi all. I'm wiring up a basement remodel. I'm planning on running speaker wires for a set of outside speakers to use on Zone 2. I'd like to have the Zone 2 music play upstairs in the family room as well. Can I use the "Zone 2 Out" jacks on the back of the receiver to run a set of cables upstairs to one of the inputs on my old Yamaha receiver to play the zone 2 audio up there? I'd like to run every thing I can before drywalling!

Thanks!
post #303 of 308 Old 11-24-2014, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just updated my rec to the latest firmware. Looks like it was recently released! Sweet!

########################################
Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #304 of 308 Old 12-03-2014, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My setup: I have all video run through my unit, with one hdmi running to my new 4k tv.

I know the unit upconverts to 4k resolution, but does it do this automatically through the video setting "DIRECT" or do I need to set it to "PROCESSING", set it to 4k? I've noticed when I do this, my blacks on my tv become muted and gray and the video is jittery. It's definitely noticeable while watching scrolling text at the bottom of CNN/ESPN etc.

Does DIRECT know to automatically upconvert to 4k since it's connected to a tv capable of that resolution? I may try different HDMI inputs on my tv to see if that solves the issues, but I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Thanks!

PS: I know cable providers only provide 720p/1080i, but upconverting definitely makes the image a tad clearer, especially on a larger TV.
post #305 of 308 Old 12-03-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 176
^ You need Video Mode = Processing (not Direct), and also choose an output resolution (which can be Auto).

Note that the A720 does not support 4K at 60Hz (max is 30Hz), so it might affect how smooth the video looks. It should not affect the black level though.

But all 4K TVs will convert their inputs to 4K (if they didn't the picture wouldn't fill the screen), and the TV might well do a better job than the A720.
post #306 of 308 Old 12-03-2014, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
^ You need Video Mode = Processing (not Direct), and also choose an output resolution (which can be Auto).

Note that the A720 does not support 4K at 60Hz (max is 30Hz), so it might affect how smooth the video looks. It should not affect the black level though.

But all 4K TVs will convert their inputs to 4K (if they didn't the picture wouldn't fill the screen), and the TV might well do a better job than the A720.
I was hoping the 30hz wouldn't be the cause of the smoothness of the video, but it could be. I'm running old firmware, noticed I had an update to firmware 1.20, which is way behind what the website has as the newest update (1.85). I'm going to update this afternoon and keeping fingers crossed there was something fixed in these updates. Is the 30hz/60hz a hardware difference or something that can be pushed through an update? The input I have it going through on the tv is the 60hz hdmi, may try the other to see if it solves my issues.

One more question, I know this unit has ARC, will this solve my issue of not having sound while using the "SmartTV" apps on the actual tv or will I need to run an optical cable to achieve sound? I need to dig to find out how to activate on the tv, if it's an ARC issue.

Thanks!
post #307 of 308 Old 12-03-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 176
^ Running an optical cable from TV to receiver will give you sound for the TV Apps (when you select that input on the receiver). ARC should work as well, but not all devices that support ARC play nice together. On the TV only one HDMI connector will probably support ARC (it should be labelled).

For 4K video, I think the 720 hardware is limited to 30Hz. Later models go up to 60Hz. But the upscaler on the receiver is not necessarily better than the one in your TV. So there's probably no real benefit from enabling processing in the receiver.
post #308 of 308 Old Today, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, late post, but I did end up adding a good sub and it made a tremendous difference. Sounds really, really good now and plenty of bass output. In fact, I have to keep the sub turned down quite a bit and it still produces a lot of bass. Perfect for my liking. Music and movies sound great, and if I'm feeling in the mood I can shake things off the walls.

Now, the real update is that I learned that all this time I did not have my player (ps3 slim) set up correctly and have not been getting lossless TrueHD or DTS Master. I now have it properly set up and WOW what a complete difference for my 7.1 set up!! I cannot stop watching BD movies now. Games are way better too, Advanced Warfare, for example, is pretty amazing.

This would have helped me, had I found it long ago, so I will post it here in the hopes it helps others (although most probably already know this unlike me lol). If running a ps3 as your player, be sure to go into manual HDMI audio settings and check everything but ACC. Bitstream or Linear PCM is up to you, but I use Linear PCM and let the player do the decoding rather than the AVR. If you're the type that wants your AVR to display the codec, choose bitsream.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A720 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - A720 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page